home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Do Actors really need classes ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Actors really need classes ? Login/Join

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
@ hollywoodconsultantBig Grino me a favor either put your dog down .Train it to do new tricks your slacking dude big time .Denzel's acting is a punchline he's a joke.

@ fishgurl: it's funny you post that analogy about the white belts and black belts .I noticed that about 95% of people in hollywood are the white belts.Yip yappin and jaw jackin about their skills and talents .Or lack there of its usually the minority who are the black belts .

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, My name is Stacy Aspen and the answer to your question is a resounding YES! you have no idea what a Booking class can do for your career, you can't just go in an audition and not even know how to slate, you can't go into an audition not knowing who the character is and what show or what product you are selling. A coach can help you to figure this out and make you grow as an actor. You can't be an overnight actor, it just doesn't happen that way, not for most of us. Most of us have to work, audition, balance life. And audition some more. And audition some more. I cannot stress how important a booking coach was to me. I went from zero to two call backs within a week, I was getting auditions I couldn't even make. There are some things that cannot be denied, the package must be in tact and if your missing something, like confidence a casting director will smell it on you the minute you walk in. My coach was Amy Lyndon. What I liked about her is the affordability of her classes and a host of other reasons, her honesty. Just her plain honesty in telling you exactly why you wont book and what you need to do to change it.

Posts: 11 | Location: L.A | Registered: September 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stacy Aspen:
Hi, My name is Stacy Aspen and the answer to your question is a resounding YES! you have no idea what a Booking class can do for your career, you can't just go in an audition and not even know how to slate, you can't go into an audition not knowing who the character is and what show or what product you are selling. A coach can help you to figure this out and make you grow as an actor. You can't be an overnight actor, it just doesn't happen that way, not for most of us. Most of us have to work, audition, balance life. And audition some more. And audition some more. I cannot stress how important a booking coach was to me. I went from zero to two call backs within a week, I was getting auditions I couldn't even make. There are some things that cannot be denied, the package must be in tact and if your missing something, like confidence a casting director will smell it on you the minute you walk in. My coach was Amy Lyndon. What I liked about her is the affordability of her classes and a host of other reasons, her honesty. Just her plain honesty in telling you exactly why you wont book and what you need to do to change it.

Yes indeed and to add to stacy post - American Method Acting originated in Russia with Konstantin Stanislavski, who opened the Moscow Art Theatre in 1898. The Moscow Art Theatre is primarily associated with the productions of the plays of Anton Chekhov and the beginning of Russian dramatic realism.

By observing himself as an actor as well as the other actors with whom he worked, and more especially by studying the great dramatic artists in Russia and abroad, Stanislavski developed an approach to the teaching of acting that became known as the "Stanislavski system." The effects of his teaching were felt in America in the 1920 s when Richard Boleslavsky and Maria Ouspenskaya, both alumni of the Moscow Art Theatre school, emigrated to America and established The American Laboratory Theatre.

I can help you just ask....

-James

Posts: 19 | Location: ny | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JLine:
@ hollywoodconsultantBig Grino me a favor either put your dog down .Train it to do new tricks your slacking dude big time .Denzel's acting is a punchline he's a joke.

@ fishgurl: it's funny you post that analogy about the white belts and black belts .I noticed that about 95% of people in hollywood are the white belts.Yip yappin and jaw jackin about their skills and talents .Or lack there of its usually the minority who are the black belts .

You're the only joke i see.

-James

Posts: 19 | Location: ny | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaryTennant:
How is he at Auditions?

I had to ask.

Just like anyone of you guys "Nervous" lol he trains to not forget and be a stronger actor everyone always nervous because if you F up Your career is pretty much tooo.

-James

posted Hide Post
just because you're naturally good at something doesn't mean you shouldn't train to get better. you can be good without training or you can be great with it. take your pick.

Posts: 12 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrNORTON:
just because you're naturally good at something doesn't mean you shouldn't train to get better. you can be good without training or you can be great with it. take your pick.

Right on!

-James

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Do you need to major in acting at "Old State University"? No, it's not like you need to be licensed like a doctor or lawyer. Of course, no one is likely to end up dead or in jail because of your incompetence in front of the camera. Do you need to take acting classes? Technically, no. But it would probably be in your best interest to take them. First, it does look good on the resume (try to get into programs whose name actually means something) to those deciding if they want to see your "natural talent". It shows that you think enough of your career to invest in improving yourself. Second, your natural ability to act is not as great as you think it is. No one's natural ability to anything is as great as they think it is! At any rate, an acting class would serve to tone and refine what natural talent you do have. Oh, the classes, coaching, etc. doesn't stop - it shouldn't - just because you've booked five guest star roles.

Nathan Will

Posts: 14 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: November 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Of course you should train how else are you going to get cast as a "real" kickball player or "real" car salesman or a "real" person....

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Being a kickballer player or a car salesmen is a profession it has nothing to do with with being another human being.If you actually wanted to learn how to be a car salesmen or kickballer.You wouldn't need to waste your time learning how to act.

Posts: 126 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You couldn't become an NFL player or a doctor without any training so why would someone think you could become an actor without any? Some people obviously have natural talent but it still needs to be developed. What would you put on your Resume under the training section? Casting Directors wouldn't take you seriously if you had nothing there.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not allowed to advertise on the message boards

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Acting is not easy. It's hard. It's especially hard to become good at it.

If you want to be a successful actor there are a number of things you have to do. One of those things is to train like mad. One of the very most important things that good and great actors always do is train. And they train continuously. Not only that, but they train with the very best teachers available; teachers who have a track record of manufacturing their students into working and award winning actors. Not teachers who's students like the teacher because the teacher makes them feel good. That has nothing to do with being a good teacher. The teacher's job, along with your persistent dedication, is to turn you into a great actor. Sometimes that requires the teacher to be very tough on you.

Whether you have natural talent or not, you must train and train hard and continuously. The right teachers can and will always make you better and better as time goes on matter how good you get. Acting is a continuous growth process. There is no point you reach where you can't improve.

Some teachers do as much harm as good. You can tell the good ones form the mediocre or bad ones by checking out how well their students have done and are doing. Do that before joining a class. Don't waste time asking students what they think unless the students are making a living as actors. Just go by how many of the teacher's students are working and awarding winning actors.

The concept that you do not need training is a fool's concept. Not only do you need it, but you will amount to nothing without it.

In case you haven’t noticed, in LA the competition is out of this world. A 7 year old child who has been in serious training for 2 or 3 years can act circles around any adult so called actor who is ignorant enough to think they don't need training.

And forget all this stuff about a famous actor here or there who never trained. Don't be foolish enough to believe that. And especially don't use that as an excuse to think you don't need acting classes. A few well known actors and celebrities like to keep a mystique about themselves and not let anyone know that they had extensive acting coaching before they got well known. And whatever the case, those actors aren't you anyway.

The way things are today you should be taking serious classes training like a wild banshee in impov and scripted material. You need to do this. And you need to do it continuously throughout your acting career. The only time you don't need to train is when you are actually working as an actor on set and you should take a week off from training every 3 or 4 months just to recoup and allow the intense training you are doing to incubate and settle into your consciousness.

Posts: 173 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Many have natural talent, but it needs to be sharpened so it is consistent and available continuously.

Ask any ballet dancer or concert pianist if they ever considered not training.

You train, learn, keep what works for you, throw away what doesn't. In the end, you go your own way. Like Picasso.

Posts: 504 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stacy Aspen:

I agree with Stacy. I took a scene into my new acting coach Brad Heller at The Heller Approach as a cold read thinking it would be easy enough, but he showed me how much I needed to learn and prepare. It's not an easy job, but he provided me with a guideline of easy to follow techniques that can be turned into routine. This is what it means to become a TRAINED ACTOR.

Posts: 14 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post