home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    What type of class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of class? Login/Join

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Here are some lists of Designated Linklater and Fitzmaurice voice teachers to look into ...

http://www.thelinklatercenter....eachers/geographical

http://fitzmauricevoice.com/locations/

I don't know any of these people, but they should be for real and know what they're doing just based on those qualifications. I checked most of their websites out the last time I posted them and Amy Sue Fall looks like she offers good value with both classes and private coaching at a reasonable price ... http://www.dialectsandvoice.com/

Posts: 113 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Just realized my school has 2 credit voice classes. Maybe, I'll take voice there.

Posts: 162 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Los Angeles acting classes and teachers number well over a thousand. How do you choose the right one?

First, you need to decide what you personally want from taking acting classes here in Los Angeles or anywhere else.

Look for a class taught by seasoned professionals from the top acting conservatories in the world (Yale School of Drama, Carnegie-Mellon University started in 1915, New York University Tisch School of the Arts Graduate Program stared in 1966, and Julliard are the top acting training programs in the United States) who have worked in the industry frequently and have been teaching for a long time.

Find a school that’s real and down-to-earth.

The most satisfying, important, and challenging skill that actors need to have is the ability to self-betray; that is the ability to reveal their secret self and to use their unique, personal, private feelings and personality in every performance. And, while Improv has value, you need to be able to do this with someone else's words - not your own.

Here are some guidelines for choosing the best class for you:

Rule #1 – Trust your gut. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. If an acting school sounds too good to be true and is promising you everything, don’t believe it. You’re just going to get a lot of slick marketing hype, false promises, phony gimmicks and naive formulas.

There are no gimmicks and there are no formulas. There is just putting in the time and hard work to learn the skills you really need to do professional-level performances. That’s just as true in acting as in any other profession. If you don’t understand that, you’re going to get hurt.

Any school that promises to teach you everything you need to know in a weekend or 4 weeks or in a 10-week casting director workshop just isn’t being honest.

What percentage of students who attend short-term acting or casting director workshops actually get a career-changing job – or any job? How many of those jobs lead to a real breakthrough in film or television? You know the answer. If it were that easy, everyone would be a big success.

Would you want to have a surgeon operate on you who had taken a workshop in surgery??? If you were a producer or writer or director with your whole career and millions of dollars at stake, would you want to hire someone who had only taken some short-term acting workshop, bootcamp, intensive, or the like?

Also, please remember that no school can fulfill the promise of getting you an agent, manager, or work – and it’s illegal to do so.

The actors you admire have been working on their acting for years. They didn't do “intensives” or study short-term and become stars. They did many kinds of classes over a long period of time. Leonardo DiCaprio started acting when he was 9 years old and still has an acting coach on set when he does a film. Angelina Jolie (with all her beauty and contacts via her Oscar award winning father Jon Voight) studied acting. So did Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep (Yale grad), Kevin Spacey (Julliard grad), Robin Williams (Julliard grad), Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley and on and on.

We’d all like to find a bootcamp or 10-week workshop intensive that would give us everything we need to be a big success. But, we really know better. There is no such thing. Don’t become part of that vast number of new students who get taken in. There is no instant!

Don’t waste your money (which you can replace) and your time (which you can’t get back and is your most precious commodity) enriching someone else other than yourself.

www.davidkagen.com

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Kagen:
Leonardo DiCaprio started acting when he was 9 years old and still has an acting coach on set when he does a film.

Not saying you're lying, but if this is true I never saw this coach on or around the set.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Hasn't Larry Moss worked with him on quite a few films? Maybe it's just off set, or before filming.

Posts: 78 | Location: new england | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
quote:
Originally posted by David Kagen:
Leonardo DiCaprio started acting when he was 9 years old and still has an acting coach on set when he does a film.

Not saying you're lying, but if this is true I never saw this coach on or around the set.

Yes, he does seek out the coaching of Larry Moss.

And as stated before, it must be before filming or off set.

Posts: 1945 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Well there we go, I learned something today.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Saxon Trainor intensive. Is it an audition intensive? I know it says on-camera but what exactly does that mean?

Posts: 162 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KayGee:
Saxon Trainor intensive. Is it an audition intensive? I know it says on-camera but what exactly does that mean?

I already said it's not an audition intensive. She gives you a foundation dealing with Adler and Meisner and how to analyze the script. What she'll teach you is useful for BOTH on set and in the audition room.

You will however do your scenes audition style because there's one camera.

Posts: 1945 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Would taking a commercial class like HISYC before a Foundations class be okay? Would I lose any of the benefits of taking a Foundation class first?

Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Kevin Spacey never finished Juliard. Just saying...I love him...but he left the program.

Posts: 521 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
^ Robin Williams didn't finish, either. But a whole bunch of others did ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...lliard_School_people It is kind of amusing that they're always the two who get mentioned.

Posts: 113 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would taking a commercial class like HISYC before a Foundations class be okay? Would I lose any of the benefits of taking a Foundation class first?

You don't necessarily need to be a good actor for Mike's class (HIYSC). It's a great class for a beginner and he'll do a great job at educating you on the business side of acting.

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:

LEVEL II wasn't all that. he is really good at being a salesman and will push you to take it. If you enjoy his personality then you may take it, but don't feel pressured to take it.

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I was thinking I would just take level 1 then take killans class or something. HISYC looks just as good to commercial agents than other commercial classes right?