home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    What type of class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of class? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Is there any other intensive? And also is there a difference between her teen and adult class? I would be taking her teen class. But I defiantly do not want to embarrass myself because of a lack of foundation.

Is there any less expensive intensive that gives a good foundation? I just know I can't afford anything above 300.

Posts: 155 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
If I knew of something cheaper that could effectively give you a great foundation in a shortest period of time I'd recommend it. Otherwise you'd go to an ongoing program for a year or two and that would cost you at least $2400-3600 for the year.

And to clarify one intensive doesn't mean that's all you take. Eventually you'll want to find a main go to school to commit to for technique.

Posts: 2143 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilstar:
Syphyus, Thanks, you really know me so well! ROTF!!

Unfortunately, this isn't an industry where people are going to "get to know you so well." If you come off as arrogant and diva-ish in front of an agent or CD, it's not going to help. Remember, in almost all cases you are not unique and there are tons of other people who are just like you out there in LA.

Posts: 950 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:30:41 GMT-0700', 'July 15, 2013 03:30 PM')+'</nobr>');July 15, 2013 03:30 PMJuly 15, 2013 03:30 PMHide PostIf I knew of something cheaper that could effectively give you a great foundation in a shortest period of time I'd recommend it. Otherwise you'd go to an ongoing program for a year or two and that would cost you at least $2400-3600 for the year.And to clarify one intensive doesn't mean that's all you take. Eventually you'll want to find a main go to school to commit to for technique.

Sorry. I guess I was thinking something that wasn't necessarily a resume booster. Well Tess is supposed to be having a foundations class in the fall. Hopefully, I can take it.

Posts: 155 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, this isn't an industry where people are going to "get to know you so well." If you come off as arrogant and diva-ish in front of an agent or CD, it's not going to help. Remember, in almost all cases you are not unique and there are tons of other people who are just like you out there in LA.
I don't think it is diva-ish. It's just beginner's arrogance. She will learn or she won't.

Now it is just a matter of if some of these people want the kind of dayplayer training that gets recommended on this message board or real actor training that will not always be fun and games, will sometimes feel like a big mindf*ck, and requires a lot of sacrifice.

The hard part about recommending either to anonymous people that didn't grow up in LA with family in the business is that we do not know if they have enough of the other ingredients to be successful like natural talent, camera worthy looks, business saavy, and strong social skills that you can't tell much about on a message board. Without any one of those they will just be sitting around Starbucks with the rest of the wannabes in LA bitching about how tough the business is no matter how well or badly trained they are. It's a sad fact but at least there is some dignity to be had if someone is in it because she really loves acting instead of just wanting to be "successful."

quote:
I wonder what teachers that are currently teaching could be compared to Roy London, as he seems to be one of the legends from the 80s-90s.
The only studio teacher like that who is well known is Larry Moss but he only coaches celebrities and runs quickie workshops for already working actors now. There are others like Richard Feldman, Barbara MacKenzie Wood and Gerald Freedman, but they teach in colleges. If there is anybody else, he or she is not well known yet. Roy London wasn't well known until great actors with his name on their resumes suddenly started popping up all over Hollywood. He relied on word of mouth and never advertised. Another one of his students that teaches besides Cam Thor and Ken Lerner is Jamie Rose. She is a good teacher that really has an acting career but she only teaches privates and semi-privates.

Posts: 33 | Location: New York | Registered: January 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only studio teacher like that who is well known is Larry Moss but he only coaches celebrities and runs quickie workshops for already working actors now. There are others like Richard Feldman, Barbara MacKenzie Wood and Gerald Freedman, but they teach in colleges. If there is anybody else, he or she is not well known yet. Roy London wasn't well known until great actors with his name on their resumes suddenly started popping up all over Hollywood. He relied on word of mouth and never advertised. Another one of his students that teaches besides Cam Thor and Ken Lerner is Jamie Rose. She is a good teacher that really has an acting career but she only teaches privates and semi-privates.

Thank you!

Posts: 222 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stumbleine:
I don't think it is diva-ish. It's just beginner's arrogance. She will learn or she won't.

I think you're just less jaded then me. And so this isn't taken completely seriously, I shall add this: ^__^

Posts: 950 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Signed up for level one at IO west!Excited.
Hopefully by the end of the year I will have
IO west Level 1+2 under my belt
Hey, I Saw Your Commercial! Level 1
Killian McHugh Adult workshop
Tess Kirsch Teen Ongoings

I'm not sure where I will get my foundations class. I will try to fit that in but I think shelling out 500 for an intensive scares the crap out of me. I'm also in college. yah know?

Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KayGee:
Signed up for level one at IO west!Excited.
Hopefully by the end of the year I will have
IO west Level 1+2 under my belt
Hey, I Saw Your Commercial! Level 1
Killian McHugh Adult workshop
Tess Kirsch Teen Ongoings

I'm not sure where I will get my foundations class. I will try to fit that in but I think shelling out 500 for an intensive scares the crap out of me. I'm also in college. yah know?

And yet you'll pay $400 for a commercial class that is only once a week for 4 weeks?

Ongoings with Tess is out of the question without some kind of foundation.

Posts: 2143 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
All the classes I am wanting to take are 350 and under? Which class is 400? 350 to 500 is a big jump to me.

Tess should be having a foundations class so maybe i will take that.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
TT, I am such an idiot. I didn't understand why you didn't understand what I meant. Then I realized the amount of hours you get from these intensives. I am going to have to go over the classes I will be taking now. Thanks. Wink

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hard part about recommending either to anonymous people that didn't grow up in LA with family in the business is that we do not know if they have enough of the other ingredients to be successful like natural talent, camera worthy looks, business saavy, and strong social skills that you can't tell much about on a message board. Without any one of those they will just be sitting around Starbucks with the rest of the wannabes in LA bitching about how tough the business is no matter how well or badly trained they are. It's a sad fact but at least there is some dignity to be had if someone is in it because she really loves acting instead of just wanting to be "successful."
Depressing as it is, that might the truest statement ever made on this forum although props should be given to some really fine character actors who are really just waiting to age into their type. Then, they often practice their craft by doing the crazy unheard of thing called theatre even if it's in a 99 seat house instead of sitting around coffee houses bitching ...

I don't get this business of taking audition classes before you have any kind of acting foundation, either. But I've shouted myself hoarse about it in the past, so big evs. It isn't my problem. Then, I suppose if some of those teachers actually try to lay an acting foundation, they might not be a terrible place to start. Just realize that at some point 99% of actors are going to need to dig in with one teacher and really learn the craft if they want to be worth a shit. And yes. It takes years.

I think a good service a gentle older actor with a good eye could provide to newbs at a reasonable cost is to hold something similar to Lesly's "Saving Private Triage" deal in which he or she spends an hour or so assessing someone's strengths and weaknesses as an actor and suggest a plan of action through the various studios as long as he can maintain integrity and not get mixed up in kickback schemes.

Oh, and I realize commercial agents need the "name" on a resume, but if you really want to learn to improvise in a way that will help your acting without a bunch of flakes around, maybe check out Impro Theatre. I saw one of their shows awhile back and it was really kind of amazing. As fun as they are to do, I don't usually like watching improv shows, but I got dragged to one and these people improvise entire plays in the style of a specific writer. Very cool. I hadn't realized that they teach classes, but they apparently do. http://improtheatre.com/school/

Posts: 166 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Do most actresses have family in the business? Is that most common?

Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KayGee:
Do most actresses have family in the business? Is that most common?

Sure there are Angelina, Drew, Gwyneth, Carrie, to name a few.

WHO CARES!?

Just focus on being the best damn actor possible.

Just think about the legions of long running actors who didn't benefit from nepotism or family in the industry. IE. Meryl Streep, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Denzel Washington, Christopher Walken, Robert Duvall, Clint Eastwood, Johnny Depp, to name a few.

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I looked over Truth's latest list of classes and two I noticed that look like they'd be great for a beginner who doesn't have a tolerance for Meisner exercises or the histrionics of your typical Adler teacher are Alan Feinstein and Robert Lyons. Lyons' class especially looks like a steal at $145 per month. You could add some weekly voice & speech privates on top of that and still come out spending less than you would at a lot of other places. He has some videos on YouTube, too. Dude talks a lot of sense. Both also bring the benefits of being highly experienced working actors themselves plus you get to put up work every class which you might not get to do at some of the big warehouse schools like Fine, Chubbuck,BHP, etc. If I were a newb looking to learn basic technique, I'd definitely audit both to see if I clicked with one.

Another who Truth doesn't seem to like for some reason but looks like she could be good for beginners is Kimberly Jentzen. My first instinct is to chortle a little at the very idea of Emotion Cards, but hey ... They might be of help to some. She certainly has the background, seems to be generally well-respected and keeps her class sizes small enough for everyone to work each time, so that's a plus. She has some good things to say in the videos she has floating around, too.

Posts: 166 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post