home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    What type of class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of class? Login/Join

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KayGee:
I was thinking I would just take level 1 then take killans class or something. HISYC looks just as good to commercial agents than other commercial classes right?
just take killian

Posts: 332 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with auditioning? Would I get the fullest out of it? Plus I don't want to take the fundamental there.

Posts: 107 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have any experience with auditioning? Would I get the fullest out of it? Plus I don't want to take the fundamental there.
I prefer a good value and that's what you get without the business man speech/crap. You don't have to take the fundamental.

Posts: 332 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
quote:
I prefer a good value and that's what you get without the business man speech/crap. You don't have to take the fundamental.

So you think you can take the Adult class without prior experience?

Posts: 107 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sign up for the next available one on the website. They will be glad to take your money.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sign up for the next available one on the website. They will be glad to take your money.

Thanks........

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I actually met with Tess and she suggested the teen class. Does anyone know anything about her teen class? She was so amazingly sweet at the one on one session. I learned so much in the hour I was there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually met with Tess and she suggested the teen class. Does anyone know anything about her teen class? She was so amazingly sweet at the one on one session. I learned so much in the hour I was there.

Tess has definitely established herself as one of the top audition coaches for kids/teens.

But once again, I think you'll be better off doing some kind of intensive or getting a foundation first.

Tess' class is a great ongoing AFTER you've built your foundation. Her class isn't structured to really teach you a foundation or how to act in general. It's more practicing auditioning.

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:

Tess has definitely established herself as one of the top audition coaches for kids/teens.

But once again, I think you'll be better off doing some kind of intensive or getting a foundation first.

Tess' class is a great ongoing AFTER you've built your foundation. Her class isn't structured to really teach you a foundation or how to act in general. It's more practicing auditioning.

Yeah, I agree. After meeting with Tess I realize how much I want to know more about being a good actor and being able to develop a character. I am no longer worried about auditioning. Till I become a great actress. But Tess really did blow my mind and I do want to take her ongoings someday.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to know more about being a good actor and being able to develop a character.

Are you yourself not interesting?

Your personality is all you need. It's being able to use your personality within the given circumstances. There's a reason why Denzel, Morgan Freeman, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, to name a few, did so well.

Too many newbie actors think they have to be some kind of character. WRONG! What newer actors need to be good at first is how to listen and how to break down a scene to be able to accept the given circumstances and relationships as reality.

Posts: 1710 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I want to know more about being a good actor and being able to develop a character.

Are you yourself not interesting?

Your personality is all you need. It's being able to use your personality within the given circumstances. There's a reason why Denzel, Morgan Freeman, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, to name a few, did so well.

Too many newbie actors think they have to be some kind of character. WRONG! What newer actors need to be good at first is how to listen and how to break down a scene to be able to accept the given circumstances and relationships as reality.

Develop a character. I'm plenty interesting. But it's taking the interest people have in me and giving it to the person I am playing that is hard. I guess. I am working on it.

posted Hide Post
See, now you're complicating things. Just start with being you but in different situations. Of course the story might involve you having different opinions about things that you in real life might have, so you have to work on being able to accept those circumstances.

There's no such thing as "oh, but I'd never or say this in real life..."!

You can get away with doing it because it's your job!

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, now you're complicating things. Just start with being you but in different situations. Of course the story might involve you having different opinions about things that you in real life might have, so you have to work on being able to accept those circumstances.

There's no such thing as "oh, but I'd never or say this in real life..."!

You can get away with doing it because it's your job!

I totally understand. I feel like you just summed up everything I've been learning in improv. Thanks so much for your info. I feel like between here and the classes I've been taking I've just learned sooo much.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by searchforperformingriches:
Hasn't Larry Moss worked with him on quite a few films? Maybe it's just off set, or before filming.

Yes, I believe it has been Larry Moss.

Posts: 5 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Just an update. I am definitely getting stronger as an actress. It's pretty exciting. I am in my second half of the class with improv. Next I am taking Killian's Adult workshop. And I am also taking an acting class at my uni.I hope to take Saxon's fundamental class and then some kinda on-going. Falling in love with acting everyday. :]