home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    What type of class?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of class? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh and I forgot to mention that I (along with the others) spend the first half hour of each class stretching my body, playing games in a circle and making animal noises. Is this the norm?
It is in any beginning acting class that is worth the money.

I recommended Meisner on that thread you mentioned because it is a set way of growing an actor that has been proven over time and because most of the best young STUDIO trained actors I knew in LA had a two year Meisner program behind them. I never did it myself and it is most certainly not for everybody so move on to something else. However, be forwarned that any worthwhile technique you study is going to have some beginner exercises that might seem silly to the uninitiated but rest assured there will be a reason for them. The best trained actors I have ever met were from England and look at what they start out with at one of their top drama schools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zpXFvEWG4

Some of the ignorant comments that follow it amuse me. You have to learn to crawl before you walk, walk before you run and run a long time before you are ready for a marathon. It is like that with any endeavor and I never understood why people think it should be any different with acting. Also know that just because you understand what is going on intellectually, it does not mean that you really get it and have internalized it. Saying that you have is probably just beginner's arrogance.

If you have been successful at something else I will take that to mean you have money so another teacher that only incorporates Meisner exercises into her teaching as needed is Marjorie Ballentine. Maybe audit her class and see if you can handle her personality. Her teaching style is very similar to Stella Adler's so expect a show. Smiler Those places TT59 recommends are designed to be a quick fix and will turn you into a boring talking head if you haven't acted somewhere else before. Some well known actors have studied it but they had also studied somewhere else first or moved on to someone like Roy London or Milton Katselas to really learn to act.

Posts: 34 | Location: New York | Registered: January 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I wonder what teachers that are currently teaching could be compared to Roy London, as he seems to be one of the legends from the 80s-90s.

Harry Mastrogeorge maybe? Anybody else?

Posts: 225 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
lilstar,

I don't think Amo37 was pointing those comments directly at you. He was more expressing what those of us who really studied Meisner Technique with somebody qualified to teach it and for whom it works feel when we see people who never did and don't know what the fuck they are talking about going on about it. The books that are out only cover what is taught the first year in a very sanitized way and too many people think they understand the whole thing based on those. Like there is a teacher I thought I might be interested in who is moving to LA from New York. He has an open Facebook that I looked over and was able to ascertain that he is totally full of shit when I saw a string of comments he made about it.

Posts: 152 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toonaive:
I wonder what teachers that are currently teaching could be compared to Roy London, as he seems to be one of the legends from the 80s-90s.

Harry Mastrogeorge maybe? Anybody else?

Some teachers who studied with and even taught for Roy London that come to mind right now are Cameron Thor and Ken Lerner.

How much of what they teach comes from Roy? I don't know. They both have a very non-heady approach which I like.

Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
Some teachers who studied with and even taught for Roy London that come to mind right now are Cameron Thor and Ken Lerner.

Great, thanks again!

Going to stick them on a list of "hoping to study with some day".

Posts: 225 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Lilstar, the fact you are doing 'animal noises' in a 'Meisner' class is a huge red flag your teacher is not teaching Meisner. Animal exercises are Method.

I understand your frustration and maybe Meisner is not for you. But I think the problem is your teacher, not the technique.

Break legs.

Posts: 496 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilstar:
Hopefully all this Meisner talk isn't in response to my comment saying the repetition was driving ME crazy lol.

"It's a misconception that two years of a reputable Meisner program is purely repetition."
"It is a full two year commitment. There are no shortcuts, as with learning anything worthwhile."

I didn't think that the entire 2 years would be purely repetition, but entirely too much time is being spent on repeating compliments and insults (among other things) over and over, time to move on to something else already. And this is supposed to be the intensive, just imagine when this is stretched out an entire year. Not looking for any shortcuts here. I had every intention on continuing to the 2-year program. The intensive is simply an intro to the style to see whether it works for you. I'm fortunate enough to realize early on that this isn't working for ME and, therefore, choose not to continue to the traditional program.

"I'm in a two year program and we left repetition after two months. The only reason they use it is to get out of your head."

To each it's own, but it doesn't take ME two months to get out of my head. I was out after two classes (no joke). So what if I slip up sometimes and think rather than simply react -- I know what I'm supposed to do and can practice with someone to the point where it's innate. However, I will not pay hundreds of dollars for 2 or more months to get up in class for 5 minutes to keep telling someone over and over that I like their hair. Different strokes for different folks!

"Meisner said it takes 20 years to be a master actor. I believe him."
"No one wants to do the work and commit."

Okay, but I don't believe him. And I also don't think that mastering acting and succeeding in acting go hand in hand. I personally care more about succeeding, and I don't think you can say that it takes 20 years to succeed. I'm ready to work and commit to something that is effective for ME.

"An acting foundation is VERY important, and sadly, many actors won't put in the time and the work..and eventually, it shows."

I second this. But I can spend 2 years putting in the time and work without doing a traditional Meisner program.

I appreciate others' opinions, this forum is the reason I'm taking a Meisner intensive. I just wanted to say that just because I'm not willing to spend my time and money on something that isn't working for me, doesn't mean that I'm looking for a shortcut, etc. or that I think the approach is ineffective. Some people figure out what works and doesn't work for them faster than others.

Truthteller59, thanks for comprehending my comments (that the repetition, even just a few weeks of it, is not for ME), and thanks for providing me with an alternate (not necessarily quicker) approach.

No personal attacks, just wanted to give my 2 cents on comments that I feel MAY have been initiated because of the comment I made. Even if your comment wasn't in response to mine, I still wanted to share the point of view of someone who doesn't want to invest in the Meisner repetition simply because it doesn't seem to be the most effective approach for that individual.

Honestly, regardless of Meisner, you really have this "I know better than everyone" attitude. I see people like you all the time, and they don't stay very long.

Also if you think you're gonna find a class that's gonna give you life changing information after just two classes, you've got another thing coming.

Posts: 955 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
"Successful" actors do not equal "Quality" or "Good" actors.

Find what works for you. But an unqualified teacher can give false impressions of something that may actually be good for you.

They could taint a technique purely through being inept.

I'd rather be a master actor, respected for my work, than a successful actor. I see acting as an art form, and to me, the beauty of the art is more important than success.

Break legs.

Posts: 496 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Toonaive, I completed the two year training, so no discount for me. Ha. But Bill's a great teacher. Old school, but very, very good. Break legs!

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
However I would say it depends on how you define success. In almost all cases to be successful in the long term, to keep being in things, you have to be good.

Sure, anyone can become the flavor of the month, but they don't hang around for that long.

I would much rather be Daniel Day-Lewis than Nicholas Cage.

Posts: 955 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
I would much rather be Daniel Day-Lewis than Nicholas Cage.

This.

Respect the craft and do the work.

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Well this thread has totally been hijacked. lol

Again, can I do an ongoing audition class? Or do I have to do an intensive? I could easily afford to take tess or saxons ongoing with the improv class. But taking the intensive and shelling out 500+ isn't doable at the moment.

Posts: 155 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KayGee:
Well this thread has totally been hijacked. lol

Again, can I do an ongoing audition class? Or do I have to do an intensive? I could easily afford to take tess or saxons ongoing with the improv class. But taking the intensive and shelling out 500+ isn't doable at the moment.

I don't see why you couldn't? Intensives never really fit for me either. It's certainly not going to hurt.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I sent an email out. Hopefully, I can get into Tess class.

Posts: 155 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KayGee:
I sent an email out. Hopefully, I can get into Tess class.

You're new and I don't advise going into Tess' class until you have had some kind of foundation class first.

I normally recommend Saxon's INTENSIVE first is because it's NOT an audition intensive but a great foundation where you will learn some techniques for BOTH on set and at the audition.

Posts: 2134 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post