home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Do I really need a car in LA?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I really need a car in LA? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
Originally posted by Maxamillion:
I have been in LA for 4 months now. I've been told plenty of times that I need a car, but I don't have a car. I live in Downtown Los Angeles where all of the buses and trains go to. It's like living in times square. I have had no problem going to castings, agent meetings, auditions, etc. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't become a future issue!

How do u date?

I date my career.

Posts: 63 | Location: Los Angeles, from NYC | Registered: August 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattyB:
I did not know that. I just looked at the map I found on the interweb. I'm sorry for being a douche.

Its okay, as a professional douche on the internet, I can forgive you.

Posts: 645 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have been in LA for 4 months now. I've been told plenty of times that I need a car, but I don't have a car. I live in Downtown Los Angeles where all of the buses and trains go to. It's like living in times square. I have had no problem going to castings, agent meetings, auditions, etc. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't become a future issue!

How do u date?

I date my career.

Nice way to duck the question but anyway, DOwntown LA is not even close to Times Square. DOnt kid yourself. A car is essential here. If you have to be at SONY for a 7am call, u really wanna trust public transport?

Posts: 223 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You must have not booked anything that had an early call time.

Posts: 1191 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
You really do need a car in LA eventually.

Mine was stolen, so I am using the bus and Uberx car service now, and so far so good, even for early calls.

You can use Uberx for the early morning auditions, but it will add up.$ I will be getting a car asap. I hate being at anyone's mercy but it's necessary for me right now. This is definitely not NYC.

Posts: 511 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How do u date?

I date my career.

Nice way to duck the question but anyway, DOwntown LA is not even close to Times Square. DOnt kid yourself. A car is essential here. If you have to be at SONY for a 7am call, u really wanna trust public transport?

I'm saying it's like living in times square because every publica trans you can take is located right in downtown la. I actually had a call-time at SONY studios last week at 10:00, got there fine, actually I was early =)

Posts: 63 | Location: Los Angeles, from NYC | Registered: August 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:

You must have not booked anything that had an early call time.

When you need to make things work with what you have, you will get it done.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
If you're without a car, public transportation does work sometimes but it makes the trip twice or sometimes even three times as long and it's not always reliable.. but you can always just Uber or Lyft if something goes wrong or if it's too early. There's always zipcar as well. I would be cautious with public transportation especially if it's late in the evening and you're a female though.

@Maxamillion I definitely agree with you. It's very much a struggle sometimes but if you need to make it work with just want you have and it's important enough, you'll make it work.

Posts: 37 | Location: LA | Registered: January 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Serenity:
If you're without a car, public transportation does work sometimes but it makes the trip twice or sometimes even three times as long and it's not always reliable.. but you can always just Uber or Lyft if something goes wrong or if it's too early. There's always zipcar as well. I would cautious with public transportation especially if it's late in the evening though and you're a female though.

@Maxamillion I definitely agree with you. It's very much a struggle sometimes but if you need to make it work with just want you have and it's important enough, you'll make it work.

Thank you. I'm not saying it's the best route to take but I'm not going to say that it's completely a disaster and impossible. It is possible, it does make your commute longer, but shit you gotta do what you gotta do! No problems here!

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Yes, to live in L.A., you need either a car, or might I suggest a motorcycle or scooter? I grabbed a 150cc scooter off craigslist. Gets me everywhere. Relying on public transportation in los angeles is...painful. It's never been good in the 18 years I've been here.

Posts: 88 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by workinactor:
Yes, to live in L.A., you need either a car, or might I suggest a motorcycle or scooter? I grabbed a 150cc scooter off craigslist. Gets me everywhere. Relying on public transportation in los angeles is...painful. It's never been good in the 18 years I've been here.
unless u live at a hub like downtown or north hollywood.. easier than a residential area

Posts: 281 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack Travern:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxamillion:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack Travern:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxamillion:

I actually had a call-time at SONY studios last week at 10:00, got there fine, actually I was early =)

When Truthteller said early call, I think he meant along the lines of 6:30 to 8am

Posts: 223 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
quote:
Originally posted by workinactor:
unless u live at a hub like downtown or north hollywood.. easier than a residential area

You can call them "hubs", if you want. I grew up in NYC, a city with a real mass transit. I call L.A.'s hubs "quaint".

Posts: 88 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Jack Tavern, even then I was good. I've had call-times PLENTY early, just yesterday I booked a Ross commercial and had a call-time of 6am in Malibu. You should look out for it in March when it airs and say, HEY that's the kid that had a super early call-time and travels using public trans in LA! ;-)

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I think the question should be if you really need a helicopter! It's tough enough with a car. It would be a pain in the ass, but I might be able to get to most things theatrical without one. But commercial and print? No way.

Posts: 222 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post