home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    LA Neighborhood Breakdown
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LA Neighborhood Breakdown Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelKruse:
How common is it for actors to live in a real suburb of LA - say a place like Corona, Riverside, Irvine, Santa Ana, etc? Or even a place like North Valley? I have no real knowledge of these area, especially North Valley.

Although it'd be great, I don't presume I'd be super busy with auditions my first lease term so I'm curious if it would be manageable to live that far outside of the city to save some initial money.

I have an 85 lb dog that will be living with me and those listed towns provide way more options for my price range and availability (obviously).

It's rare from what I've seen. Some do it, but I think you'd be putting yourself at a big disadvantage. You don't want to be driving 50+ miles to go to an audition, that would be a nightmare especially if there's traffic. Plus you'd have to drive out if you're getting any coaching or taking classes too.

Posts: 14 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should add in the South Bay! Like culver city, marina and playa del Rey, westchester, el segundo, del wire, Hawthorne and so many more! Rent is lower and you are minutes from the beach airport and all major freeways!

Posts: 11 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
This is sooo helpful! My fiancé and I want to move out to LA area after the wedding but had no idea where to start. Thank you!

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 42 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelKruse:
How common is it for actors to live in a real suburb of LA - say a place like Corona, Riverside, Irvine, Santa Ana, etc? Or even a place like North Valley? I have no real knowledge of these area, especially North Valley.

Although it'd be great, I don't presume I'd be super busy with auditions my first lease term so I'm curious if it would be manageable to live that far outside of the city to save some initial money.

I have an 85 lb dog that will be living with me and those listed towns provide way more options for my price range and availability (obviously).

Hell no.... I used to live in Orange County (close to Irvine) and MOVED to L.A because it was excruciatingly far... Takes around 1hr and 25 minutes to get to L.A from OC with average/good traffic, with bad traffic sometimes up to 2 hours. I had to move to L.A to take classes... I would not even live in North O.C like Anaheim or even Long Beach, it's all way too far. The drive from OC to L.A was unbearable. You need to live right where the action is which is L.A proper or the valley (Studio City etc). The closer the better.

You would not save more money living in Irvine btw; Irvine is expensive. Santa Ana is mostly ghetto but has some ok areas. My car only takes premium gas and it costs me around $25 every time I drive from L.A to South OC (Irvine) and back. Just the drive is draining.

Posts: 101 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yes. No. Don't do it. And stop asking about it. Get your ass inside the city limits and shut up.

Posts: 25 | Location: right here | Registered: December 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I live in DTLA. Cheap housing. But I'm here for university. Its just also convient for acting.

Posts: 155 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Lyle and Jackie. In the city is where I'll be then!

Posts: 34 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I just linked this thread to another forum, so I'm bumping it to make sure it doesn't fall into the archives.

Posts: 162 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
marina and playa del Rey

quote:
You should add in the South Bay! Like culver city, marina and playa del Rey, westchester, el segundo, del wire, Hawthorne and so many more! Rent is lower and you are minutes from the beach airport and all major freeways!

You've got to be kidding! Rent is not lower in Marina Del Rey or anywhere on the west side.

Posts: 12 | Location: LA Calif | Registered: November 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha, you nailed it, dude. Well done.

Posts: 14 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post