home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    LA Neighborhood Breakdown
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LA Neighborhood Breakdown Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelKruse:
How common is it for actors to live in a real suburb of LA - say a place like Corona, Riverside, Irvine, Santa Ana, etc? Or even a place like North Valley? I have no real knowledge of these area, especially North Valley.

Although it'd be great, I don't presume I'd be super busy with auditions my first lease term so I'm curious if it would be manageable to live that far outside of the city to save some initial money.

I have an 85 lb dog that will be living with me and those listed towns provide way more options for my price range and availability (obviously).

It's rare from what I've seen. Some do it, but I think you'd be putting yourself at a big disadvantage. You don't want to be driving 50+ miles to go to an audition, that would be a nightmare especially if there's traffic. Plus you'd have to drive out if you're getting any coaching or taking classes too.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should add in the South Bay! Like culver city, marina and playa del Rey, westchester, el segundo, del wire, Hawthorne and so many more! Rent is lower and you are minutes from the beach airport and all major freeways!

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
This is sooo helpful! My fiancé and I want to move out to LA area after the wedding but had no idea where to start. Thank you!

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 15 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelKruse:
How common is it for actors to live in a real suburb of LA - say a place like Corona, Riverside, Irvine, Santa Ana, etc? Or even a place like North Valley? I have no real knowledge of these area, especially North Valley.

Although it'd be great, I don't presume I'd be super busy with auditions my first lease term so I'm curious if it would be manageable to live that far outside of the city to save some initial money.

I have an 85 lb dog that will be living with me and those listed towns provide way more options for my price range and availability (obviously).

Hell no.... I used to live in Orange County (close to Irvine) and MOVED to L.A because it was excruciatingly far... Takes around 1hr and 25 minutes to get to L.A from OC with average/good traffic, with bad traffic sometimes up to 2 hours. I had to move to L.A to take classes... I would not even live in North O.C like Anaheim or even Long Beach, it's all way too far. The drive from OC to L.A was unbearable. You need to live right where the action is which is L.A proper or the valley (Studio City etc). The closer the better.

You would not save more money living in Irvine btw; Irvine is expensive. Santa Ana is mostly ghetto but has some ok areas. My car only takes premium gas and it costs me around $25 every time I drive from L.A to South OC (Irvine) and back. Just the drive is draining.

Posts: 94 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yes. No. Don't do it. And stop asking about it. Get your ass inside the city limits and shut up.

Posts: 27 | Location: right here | Registered: December 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I live in DTLA. Cheap housing. But I'm here for university. Its just also convient for acting.

Posts: 27 | Location: LA | Registered: July 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Lyle and Jackie. In the city is where I'll be then!

Posts: 42 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
I just linked this thread to another forum, so I'm bumping it to make sure it doesn't fall into the archives.

Posts: 66 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
marina and playa del Rey

quote:
You should add in the South Bay! Like culver city, marina and playa del Rey, westchester, el segundo, del wire, Hawthorne and so many more! Rent is lower and you are minutes from the beach airport and all major freeways!

You've got to be kidding! Rent is not lower in Marina Del Rey or anywhere on the west side.

Posts: 4 | Location: LA Calif | Registered: November 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haha, you nailed it, dude. Well done.

Posts: 14 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: October 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Is N. Fuller Ave in Hollywood between sunset and hollywood blvd safe?

Posts: 51 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AustenCA:
Is N. Fuller Ave in Hollywood between sunset and hollywood blvd safe?

Yes, it's fine, although it's noisy. Weekend nights are the worst with the drunken clubgoers.

I would avoid Hollywood if you can - not because of safety issues, but because it's a zoo and tourist trap.

Posts: 94 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I feel like the original post is very outdated/out of touch - maybe written by someone who's never lived in a city before. In what world is Silverlake "grody" or lower-income? Those houses with reservoir views start at 1M now!

My take:

(All of these recommendations assume you are an actor attending auditions all over the city, so a convenient location is a central/accessible location. AND these prices are for something not-gross, not in an undesirable/fringe part of the neighborhood.)

Silverlake/Los Feliz: Hip, popular, super walkable if you're in the right areas. There are deals to be found on the fringes of the neighborhoods, but overall not budget hoods. Los Feliz proper, Silverlake proper - are clean and safe neighborhoods, just not as pristine and tidy as, say, Santa Monica. And that's because the area is populated by creatives and young people. Each has a good public elementary, which is rare in LAUSD. Also consider that you can live right next to Griffith Park (great hiking, Trails Cafe!) or the Silverlake reservoir (which has a running path, a park-like lawn, dog runs, rec center - the sort of public spaces and amenities most LA neighborhoods don't have). Convenient location unless you go to the west side - Bev Hills to Santa Monica - very frequently. Studios start around 1100-1200. (If you can't tell, this is my neighborhood. Anecdotally, I find that there is a real community feeling that isn't so apparent in other parts of the city.)

Koreatown: Ehhh.... some kind of nice historic apartment buildings but most are run-down. Kinda dirty. Parking and traffic are both absolute nightmares. Studios start cheap, around 800-900. But unless it's like the most killer pad and you just can't get over it, and includes parking, it's really not worth it.

Beachwood Canyon: Lovely peaceful location. Some apartment buildings on Beachwood, and way up in the heart there's a cafe & market. (This is where I'd like to live next.) Studios start around 1200-1300.

Franklin Village: Very cute area at the foot of the hills, walkable. The commercial strip includes UCB, La Poubelle, a juice place, other restaurants, Gelson's. Just south of Franklin is ok, but north is nicer. Convenient location. Do your homework though - south of Franklin is fringey with the gross part of Hollywood, might be some sketchy buildings, I've heard of bedbugs... Studios start around 1100-1200.

Hollywood: My personal least favorite area. I'm talking about the flats here - below Franklin Ave and particularly around Hollywood & below. Parking is often a pain, can be lots of traffic (stay the hell away from Hollywood & Highland), loud clubgoers if you're near a main strip. And it's just dirty. Yes, conveniently located in the middle of the city. Some dirt cheap rents, studios starting around 800-900 - you decide if it's worth it. (Every now and then I start to soften on Hollywood - I'm there a lot for various classes, the Arclight, or just passing through, but I can't get over how gross and sad it feels to me. I would, though, definitely consider the area above WeHo, west of La Brea - so south of Runyon. But it's not as dirt cheap. I would only live there if I had a parking space.)

Hollywood Hills: Find a great guest house to rent and then never leave.

WeHo: Very walkable to lots of amenities in most areas of the hood, a million restaurants and bars (you might want to work in one), good shopping, boutiques. Clean. Super convenient being in the middle of the city, though you don't have any freeways. That does mean that traffic is a pain during rush hour but once you know the area you'll know how to avoid it and take alternate routes - since you're not stuck on a freeway! There are, here and there, some kind of affordable rents but likely won't include parking - which you kind of want in this hood. Studios can start around 1000-1100.

Larchmont Vill/Hancock Park/Beverly Grove: Mostly expensive, perhaps a little boring, but very lovely, well-manicured. Big historic houses, and some beautiful Spanish and Art Deco apartment buildings. Larchmont Blvd is a nice, yes, almost village-like commercial strip. Hancock Park is almost bucolic. Very central but so far from any freeways, though traffic through here on Beverly never gets too bad. Very affordable apartments are rare, but when you find them studios can start around 1200.

"West LA - Big amorphous area, dunno. Wide fast streets, big apt blocks, inhuman scale. Nice restaurant row on Sawtelle.

Century City, Westwood Village, Brentwood - Wide fast streets on an inhuman scale. More affluent. Apt situation/neighborhoods unknown. Corporate industry presence. Westwood Village is nice perhaps for UCLA students."

-Mostly agree with these. Brentwood does have some affordable-ish apartments if you have a family and need good public schools. It's a popular area with rich parents.

Santa Monica: You'll like it if you moved from a clean suburb and find Silverlake/Echo Park gross and scary. Okay I'm being a bitch - it's nice, but it is expensive, inconvenient if you ever go east of Beverly Hills, and I think other areas are much more interesting. Not to mention the beach isn't great.

Venice: Santa Monica's cooler, rough and tumble little sister. I only mention it because it's super hip, great restaurants, and a very walkable neighborhood, but it's like an expensive island - very far from the rest of the city. Still rough around the edges in areas, but that is part of the charm.

The Valley (Studio City/NoHo/Valley Village): HOT. Do not underestimate how much hotter it gets up there. I personally feel like it's not worth going any further, but: Studio City has many amenities, NoHo has lots of acting studios and theaters, Valley Village has some cute small-town-feel areas. Good for families (I guess) - larger apartments and houses are easier to come by. ALSO, traffic blows. I've been stuck on Ventura for like half an hour getting from one end of Studio City to the other. But lots of actors live up there, and generally people in the industry, and it can be convenient if you're close to the 101.

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I too just recently moved to burbank and LOVE it... i'm pretty much griffith park on riverside... so it's super convenient. Close to lose feliz, studio city, and a 10 minute drive to hollywood. Close to all studios as well, and all major freeways. It's so peaceful and I have not been happier with a location in los angeles. But don't tell too many people because it would be nice to not have the rent skyrocket Wink

Posts: 47 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
It's always appreciated and helpful to have other's updated information, especially since this thread was started in 2009, so thanks to all who add their input and updates.

The only thing I will add is that no matter where you live, if you park your car on the street in your neighborhood, be sure you are insured and never leave anything in your car that you don't want taken. I read and hear about car break-ins all the time.

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 756 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post