home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    LA Neighborhood Breakdown
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LA Neighborhood Breakdown Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Don't believe the hype. Certain areas feel sketchy but LA is relatively safe. Crime happens randomly as it would in any big city. One should be aware and prepared, and move smartly but there is no need to be fearful either. Hollywood "east of Vine" has definite curb appeal issues but neither is it particularly dangerous. Car break-ins, although they happen, are not as common as one might think. There is a subliminal menace and unknowability to LA that you may perceive, but this dark aspect is out of proportion to the actual danger.

Posts: 27 | Location: right here | Registered: December 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I assume then this Vine area that you mentioned is one of the most dangerous ones? Any other neighborhoods to stay away from, and especially renting a place anywhere around?

Posts: 120 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Don't listen to Thrillseeker. Just f it for now and come do your own homework, you are obviously starting at square one. LA is fine, you will be fine.

Posts: 27 | Location: right here | Registered: December 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 36 | Location: los angeles | Registered: December 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Moat of the Hollywood crime, based on the link, appears to be smash and grabs (cars) and assault on people around bars.

I'm VERY happy with SGV. My kind of town. Living closer to studios may prove beneficial as a rising star, I don't know. The well established commute by private airfields, of which there are many.

Posts: 32 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I would like to restate that although bad things can and will happen at any time, LA crime rates are actually relatively low, recently measured at levels equivalent to those in 1952. The lowered crime rates were covered by an NYT article as both an NYC and LA phenomenon and have been attributed to various things including past legalization of abortion, improved community policing per broken window theory, the three strikes law, etc., but whatever the reason, crime is much lower than it has been in the past.

By and large the subliminal menace of an environment like LA may exceed its actual danger, although of course it is always better to be careful, it is as safe here as in any other city, if not more so. Newcomers and visitors tend to have fear far out of proportion to the actual danger.

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
Hollywood area is more ghetto than West Hollywood; grittier. Personally I thought the Hollywood Walk of Fame already had a lot weirdos/tourists/annoying traffic as hell. I prefer the nicer areas so I recommend going as much West as you can afford. I am a bit on the uppity and super picky side though; for most people it should be fine if you use common sense. If you want to be safest drive everywhere instead of walk.

Posts: 100 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Ok so I need an opinion. There is this apartment in Burbank that seems ok but is a little older. The building next to it is right by the freeway (divided by a wall), and is kind of run down looking and has bars on the bottom floor windows. Most of the other apartments on the street look nice and the street itself is quiet but nice looking. The apartment complex I looked at has bars on one side of the bottom floor. The apartment I looked at is on an upper floor though. I thought burbank was safe, so I was surprised/dissappointed to see this. What do you think? Anyone who lives there have an opinion? I also noticed that behind some of these buildings where the parking spots are, it kinda has like a mini junk yard type feel. My ideal place to live would be on the westside in westwood or century city, but not many apartments are coming up in my price range with my criteria, and i have been looking a loooong time. I was hoping this one would be it, but now I am worrying it might not be safe. Please help!

Posts: 50 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AustenCA:
Ok so I need an opinion. There is this apartment in Burbank that seems ok but is a little older. The building next to it is right by the freeway (divided by a wall), and is kind of run down looking and has bars on the bottom floor windows. Most of the other apartments on the street look nice and the street itself is quiet but nice looking. The apartment complex I looked at has bars on one side of the bottom floor. The apartment I looked at is on an upper floor though. I thought burbank was safe, so I was surprised/dissappointed to see this. What do you think? Anyone who lives there have an opinion? I also noticed that behind some of these buildings where the parking spots are, it kinda has like a mini junk yard type feel. My ideal place to live would be on the westside in westwood or century city, but not many apartments are coming up in my price range with my criteria, and i have been looking a loooong time. I was hoping this one would be it, but now I am worrying it might not be safe. Please help!
A lot of the buildings are older; that's just Los Angeles. I would move in to it and enjoy the cheaper rent and then decide if it's not for you and prepare to pay more for the Century City area. It is extremely safe though especially compared to Hollywood and other areas; The streets are pretty bare over night if that's what you prefer.

Posts: 308 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Anybody else have any opinions? Is right by the freeway unsafe? What about the bars on the windows? Am I being oVerly cautious?

Posts: 50 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
You are being overly cautious however theres an intuitive and primal aspect to selecting a place of dwelling that should not be overlooked. Not for reasons of safety, crime statistics or superstition but for simple preference. If you are skeeving out over the apt already then find one that doesn't skeeve you out already. If you can't afford one that doesnt skeeve you out then suck it up, keep looking, find a roommate, or sign a short lease and make more money.

Bars tell you that at some point it was deemed a good idea to have them. Does that make it a safer apartment or less safe? For a ground floor dwelling I would think it makes you safer from intrusion, regardless of location. As far as the neighborhood itself, that is your choice.

From a Feng Shui point of view, dwellings near freeways, graveyards, overlooking exposed earth (earthworked roads, freeways etc), dead ends, and at the end of streets facing down the street are "bad feng shui". However, there are probably many people who happily live in such places. There are also many other considerations. Whatever. Go with what you like.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Just to weigh in on the "bars on windows" issue, although I don't live in LA: I don't see it as a big deal, and it does't have to mean that there's crime on that block - an owner could have just put them in to keep a child from falling out, or for general privacy concerns. They might even be mandated by a local safety regulation. I used to live on the first floor of a very charming building on a quiet street in one of the more upscale parts of Manhattan, and my windows facing the street had bars on them.

Posts: 67 | Location: New York | Registered: August 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I am going to keep looking

Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead:
You are being overly cautious however theres an intuitive and primal aspect to selecting a place of dwelling that should not be overlooked. Not for reasons of safety, crime statistics or superstition but for simple preference. If you are skeeving out over the apt already then find one that doesn't skeeve you out already. If you can't afford one that doesnt skeeve you out then suck it up, keep looking, find a roommate, or sign a short lease and make more money.

Bars tell you that at some point it was deemed a good idea to have them. Does that make it a safer apartment or less safe? For a ground floor dwelling I would think it makes you safer from intrusion, regardless of location. As far as the neighborhood itself, that is your choice.

From a Feng Shui point of view, dwellings near freeways, graveyards, overlooking exposed earth (earthworked roads, freeways etc), dead ends, and at the end of streets facing down the street are "bad feng shui". However, there are probably many people who happily live in such places. There are also many other considerations. Whatever. Go with what you like.
I don't even have a gate.. no problems.

Posts: 308 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
-bump-
This is a fantastic resource.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post