home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    How much money did you have saved before moving?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much money did you have saved before moving? Login/Join

Julia Roberts
posted Hide Post
I think the point is that it's better to establish an income of sorts than to try to live off a savings because it's going to most likely be a long haul... people do not get discovered overnight the way people like to believe.

Posts: 701 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
$260. I pawned my electric guitar, and used my last unemployment check to buy my ticket, flew sunjet(remember them?) Out of newark, if memory serves. No car, no apartment, didn't know anyone. Stayed in a shelter when I got here. Got a telemarketing job. Started running into ppl I knew from NY(that I didn't know were here) and they put me on the path.

It worked out very well.

Posts: 88 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at the number of people that run off to LA with no support system. Not even in my early days would I consider that. I guess we are blessed that DS didn't move into NYC until he could live off of residuals and a portfolio. When he does move to LA it will not be under any of the circumstances you folks took a chance on. I admire your courage but shiver at the thought.

Posts: 461 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ashleernb:
My situation is bit different....

I just turned 18 and I dont live in the city...I actually drive a bit (or get driven) to get to my auditions.

It is EXTREMELY hard to find a job that fits what I am trying to do not living close to the auditions so I am a wedding singer and run Chareoki (which is not steady and does not pay a lot) but leaves my days open to be able to auditon and not work.

How am I able to do this? The angel in my corner is my dad. You see my parents are in bankruptsy (the 5 year thing) and when I turned 18 my mom tried to make me quit acting and refused to fund me but my dad wouldnt have any of it.

I actually was going to take a break but my dad said no your not and he went out and got a second job delivering pizzas and uses that to keep me going (gas money, classes, headshots, etc, etc)

I absolutely DRAW the line when it comes to casting director workshops though.....he tries to convince me to take them and I dont let him spend money on that.

I only hope that some day I can pay him back for what he is doing for me now.

Bankruptcy is no joke and I wish you and your parents the best! Do you have any college plans or are you gonna dive headfirst into pursuing acting full time?

quote:
Originally posted by DadinWestchester:
I am amazed at the number of people that run off to LA with no support system. Not even in my early days would I consider that. I guess we are blessed that DS didn't move into NYC until he could live off of residuals and a portfolio. When he does move to LA it will not be under any of the circumstances you folks took a chance on. I admire your courage but shiver at the thought.

Your son is very lucky to have a supportive parent like you. I had no parental support when I moved to NYC and I went there with about $150 in cash. Luckily, I was going to college so I was able to live in the dorms and my meal plan covered my food. My husband (then boyfriend) deployed to Iraq that year and helped me cover outside necessities (winter clothes/boots) with his measly hazard pay. Otherwise, I wouldn't have lasted a year.

Many actors don't have parents that support their dreams from a young age and into adulthood. I mean, your kid has a portfolio for heaven's sake! What would would you have expected other people to do, not having the privileges that your son has? That's a genuine question.

Posts: 77 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ashleernb:

I just turned 18 and I dont live in the city...I actually drive a bit (or get driven) to get to my auditions.

It is EXTREMELY hard to find a job that fits what I am trying to do not living close to the auditions so I am a wedding singer and run Chareoki (which is not steady and does not pay a lot) but leaves my days open to be able to auditon and not work.

How am I able to do this? The angel in my corner is my dad. You see my parents are in bankruptsy (the 5 year thing) and when I turned 18 my mom tried to make me quit acting and refused to fund me but my dad wouldnt have any of it.

I actually was going to take a break but my dad said no your not and he went out and got a second job delivering pizzas and uses that to keep me going (gas money, classes, headshots, etc, etc)

I absolutely DRAW the line when it comes to casting director workshops though.....he tries to convince me to take them and I dont let him spend money on that.

It sounds like an admirable thing by your dad, but I gotta ask, do u feel any guilt about ur dad having to deliver pizzas to fund YOUR acting dream? Especially if you are legally an adult now?

I absolutely feel guilt as I said I was going to take a break and get a job for a while..and save up some money.

It was a long discussion with my dad on this but my dad felt I really was too close to a breakthrough (having rep....getting in the right rooms....lots of coffee meetings with producers and directors over this past year biulding connections) and just didnt want me to quit. He knows how much I love this. He also was worried that I might fall into debt or end up oweing or relying on someone to keep it going that could end up being a bad situation.

So...I agreed to it.

"Its the struggle that makes it great"

Posts: 35 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheActress/Model:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ashleernb:

Bankruptcy is no joke and I wish you and your parents the best! Do you have any college plans or are you gonna dive headfirst into pursuing acting full time?

I am actually doing a little bit of cc college now....I have never been an academic and ended up finishing my high school diploma through a Charter Home School Program (Interestingly enough I finished my Senior year with an A average...still trying to figure that one out) I also took and past my chespe last year so I could work as an adult.

I want to be a full time actress.....that is the goal but I am chipping away at the college stuff in the meantime.

"Its the struggle that makes it great"

Posts: 35 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I came out here with a little over 12k this past September. Life would be much better if I didn't have student loans from an education at a private college for a BA degree I'm not utilizing.

I wish I could sell back my degree.

Posts: 35 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelKruse:
I came out here with a little over 12k this past September. Life would be much better if I didn't have student loans from an education at a private college for a BA degree I'm not utilizing.

If you find yourself north of 30 and you're still not making any serious headway in Hollywood after 4-7 years, you'll be happy uou have that degree

Posts: 223 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sell it to me, I could use it. Haha

Posts: 63 | Location: Los Angeles, from NYC | Registered: August 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:

If you find yourself north of 30 and you're still not making any serious headway in Hollywood after 4-7 years, you'll be happy uou have that degree

Solid point, Jack. I still regret the private college route!

Posts: 35 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Anyone thinking of moving here without a day job and an apartment should plan on bringing several thousand bucks to cover the first few months of getting settled in. Took me the best part of two months to find out where the best bets were for a decent affordable rent on a one bedroom were, and that was based on a share with another actor. We got lucky and found a place that was pretty cheap and still close enough to where you need to be to go out for auditions and classes. However nothing is for ever and six months later I was looking for another room-mate and a place to live. Eventually I found a share that boosted my rent by another 300 a month over the first place, but the driving was less so it panned out. Over the three years I have been here I have used up the 15 grand I arrived with mostly on moving expenses and cost of living between paying jobs.Expect to blow a ton of dough on just covering the bills until the work starts to take off for you, if you get so lucky AND can stick it out. My advice is, don't move here till you can afford the investment (risk) unless it's on someone else's dime and they happen to be very generous, lol!

Posts: 40 | Location: LA, CA | Registered: October 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fictionalsleep:
I saw a stand-up once tell a joke about how much money you need to move to NYC.

"My friend back home asked me the other day how much money I thought he needed before moving here. I said well that's a big question, you've gotta look at where you might be living, what sort of job you can land, how much you plan on going out. But I guess I'd say you need all of it? All of the money?"

I wish I could properly attribute that but I can't remember the guy's name.

OMG so funny. Post if you remember.

Posts: 53 | Location: New York | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omanda:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fictionalsleep:
I saw a stand-up once tell a joke about how much money you need to move to NYC.

"My friend back home asked me the other day how much money I thought he needed before moving here. I said well that's a big question, you've gotta look at where you might be living, what sort of job you can land, how much you plan on going out. But I guess I'd say you need all of it? All of the money?"

I wish I could properly attribute that but I can't remember the guy's name.

OMG so funny. Post if you remember!

I moved to NYC with 5K. Gone in about six weeks of startup costs. Maybe eight. Can't remember.

Posts: 53 | Location: New York | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
OMG so funny. Post if you remember!

I found the invite to the show where I heard that, and I'm 99% sure it was Andy Sandford. If not it was Greg Stone, but I'm pretty sure it was Andy.

Posts: 123 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
$5K after security deposit and first month's rent paid for. Drove out there from the Midwest. I didn't have any major credits or training except for my experience from college / doing student films. No agent. Burned through it in two months (living expenses and one car repair). Fortunately, I was able to secure a day job right before I was about to be living on my credit card. It has been working out pretty well so far -- I mean, I haven't had to move back home yet. I wish I would have saved up $10K and built up more of a resume, but I was in a rush to get out here and get started.

Rent, groceries, and training is all very expensive. A professional actor told me to save up at least $10K before moving out and I wish I would have listened. You can squeeze by on $5K if you have a cheap place to live, a car, and can get work right away.

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post