home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    How much money did you have saved before moving?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much money did you have saved before moving? Login/Join

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Toonaive it's very inspiring what you achieved .I fell into the over planning trap but just reading what you had to say has snapped me back into reality .It don't matter how much money you work on saving .If you can't find a job than your going to burn through your savings right away.My plan is to get out there find a source of income then start working on my acting career.I'm going to be living on the bare minimum thats my sacrifice .
You really don't need alot to start a acting career its unlike other careers .I don't get these people who want save 20k get a condo and a car and a solid job then try and do the acting.Can't have your cake and eat it too

Posts: 58 | Location: Boston | Registered: March 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of people that recommend saving 10-20k are thinking they can just focus only on acting when they first get to la and not work. But this could get you in trouble if you wait to find work and then end up not finding any. I'd rather have a day job right away. Even if the job you get right away is not ideal, you can always just do it until you find something better. That way you won't sit in your home town forever saving up. I'm still at this crossroads deciding what is best.

Posts: 50 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
quote:
Originally posted by maemidwest:
Just an add-on....when I moved to NYC 10 years ago, I had about 18K in the bank...and that disappeared VERY quickly. NY is MUCH more brutal in terms of cost of living.

Mae

less than 15K per month ?

Only brutal for those who come here and don't understand how to find better deals. I lived on less than 15K for a number of years here.

On the topic of this thread though, I had $0 saved because I was kicked out shortly after I turned 18.

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post