home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    How much money did you have saved before moving?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much money did you have saved before moving? Login/Join

Nicholas Cage
posted
I know everyone has a different situation and there is no one set rule amount. But I am just taking a poll.

Those who moved to LA without a job lined up, how much money did you have saved before moving? And did it work out for you? (not how much you think you should have how much you actually had saved)

Posts: 81 | Location: CA | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
i came out here with almost 2,000 and no car. my first year was very stressful, It took a long time to crawl out of being broke. and do to lack of money i accomplished very very little with my career that first year (no classes, etc). don't do that to yourself. have a car and enough to get by for at least 3 months.

Posts: 39 | Location: los angeles | Registered: July 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I sometimes hear actors finding work while being homeless...how does that happen?

Posts: 111 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
I sometimes hear actors finding work while being homeless...how does that happen?
swallow ur pride and go apply..

Posts: 339 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
My husband and I moved to LA with about $5000. That was what we had left after putting down cash for our apartment and neither of us had work lined up. We probably would have saved more but the move was very last minute. We decided in October of 2012 to make the move and we got here in January 2013. For the record, my husband is not in "the business".

We're doing pretty well and I booked my first LA job about a month after moving. However, I was in a better position than most actors that move out here. I already had solid management and representation (commercial & legit), as well as a handful of decent credits to get me in the right doors. My agent had auditions lined up before I even arrived.

Posts: 70 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I probably stuck to the safer side, but I had about $10k or more before I moved out here.

Even being out here over a year now I wouldn't say I'm super financially stable either so I think it was smart.

Grab a job when you get out here. Classes get expensive along with everything else you pay for in acting/living.

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I had $20k budgeted for my first year in town, but it turned out that I could have easily gotten over with $5k.

I was lucky that I already had six years of top quality training and my ducks in a row with my marketing materials. I also had a car, rep sewn up, my housing situation worked out, an offer for a survival job along with a good food service backup for if that didn't work out, and the advantage of being well connected with my school's Hollywood alumni network. I was also very lucky that I booked some good paying print work straight out the gate, but mileage may vary.

I probably sound all braggy now, but this is a business like any other in that it most definitely requires sufficient startup capital. The main reason so many good actors have to turn around and go home after a year or less is not having that. How little you can get by with just depends on what you bring besides money and how much poverty you can take.

Posts: 231 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
About 4K, but my husband also has a stable job (not in the industry). Even still, with booking paying work, it's VERY tough. I was on unemployment for 6 months at one point (able to collect enough because they based my earnings off of my REAL job back home). That was a bit demoralizing. But we get by, and things are getting better, as I book more.

Mae

Posts: 223 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Just an add-on....when I moved to NYC 10 years ago, I had about 18K in the bank...and that disappeared VERY quickly. NY is MUCH more brutal in terms of cost of living.

Mae

Posts: 223 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maemidwest:
Just an add-on....when I moved to NYC 10 years ago, I had about 18K in the bank...and that disappeared VERY quickly. NY is MUCH more brutal in terms of cost of living.

Mae

Only brutal for those who come here and don't understand how to find better deals. I lived on less than 15K for a number of years here.

On the topic of this thread though, I had $0 saved because I was kicked out shortly after I turned 18.

Posts: 1002 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
How did you move to LA Syphus? Trying to find cheap apartments before I move. No job lined up. Have a Bachelors in Social Media and work from home to make a little cash as a social media manager but don't make barely anything, living with parents.

Honestly everyone has said on this board don't do it, but I think I'm going to take out a loan. Also need a car. Guess that's what I get for choosing education over car when my parents asked me to choose which they would pay for.

I'm 23 almost 24 and starting to feel old and need to make it out there soon, only way I see doing that is with a loan or at least finding a way to make money at home.

No major training in LA or NY just training in Texas and Michigan. Don't see how I would ever make enough to move and have enough income to act and pay rent.

KLT007

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KLT007:
How did you move to LA Syphus?

I meant here in New York, but its a very long story of friends, sleeping in parks, car, and scrounging together any jobs I could get. I wouldn't recommend it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
About 4K, but my husband also has a stable job (not in the industry). Even still, with booking paying work, it's VERY tough. I was on unemployment for 6 months at one point (able to collect enough because they based my earnings off of my REAL job back home). That was a bit demoralizing. But we get by, and things are getting better, as I book more.

Mae

Agreed. The first 6 months after our move were not easy, but having a spouse with steady income makes it a lot easier. And I had to do it on my own for the first couple of years I lived in NYC, and there was no way for me to pursue anything outside of trying to pay the rent, lol. I never want to be in that position again. I take my hat off to anyone that can grind their way through it.

quote:

Mae

It's always interesting to me when people say this. I lived in NYC for 8 years and I find LA to be just as expensive. Whatever we are saving in rent is nearly eaten up by the two car payments, two insurance bills, and two gas tanks that need to stay full. Everything else (utilities, classes, acting necessities, entertainment), cost-wise, is pretty much even to NYC.

Posts: 70 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I don't know why it feels that way, to be honest. I guess my rent was double the cost of what I pay here. We had to live near the center of Manhattan because my husband worked on Broadway 6 days a week...so yeah...that was kind of sucky. The first/last/security ate about 4500 right off the bat.

Mae

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know why it feels that way, to be honest. I guess my rent was double the cost of what I pay here. We had to live near the center of Manhattan because my husband worked on Broadway 6 days a week...so yeah...that was kind of sucky. The first/last/security ate about 4500 right off the bat.

Mae

Well, whether costs are equal or not, NYC is definitely a harder city to live in!! It takes so much more out of you, physically and emotionally. Haha