home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Getting a copy of an episode for your reel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a copy of an episode for your reel Login/Join

Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
For those of you with DVR's here is a device that will allow you to expolit the analog hole and copy HD for your reel.
http://www.matrox.com/video/en...ducts/mxo2_mini_max/
Probably more money than most would want to spend, but simple converters are available to take HDMI or Component output from DVR's.

Posts: 488 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
Originally posted by cassius:
I'm semi-computer literate, but I don't know how to do that. How do you rip an episode from Hulu?

Then I guess according to Syphus, we're both idiots. Welcome to the club.

FOr the poster who listed 6-8-10 productions, where are they located?

Thankfully we live in the age of Google. Where questions like that can be answered in mere microseconds. However, if you want to spend money for no reason, by all means, don't let me stop you.

I didn't notice the original post.

Posts: 794 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
There's tons of add on extensions that will let you download vids from youtube and hulu... just use google.

In 3 seconds I found 3 tutorials

http://www.wondershare.com/con...hulu-downloader.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/d...ad-videos-hulu-easy/

14 day free trial http://download.cnet.com/Hulu-...3633_4-10913914.html

Google is ur friend. Anything that you may want to do technically speaking (downloading vids from youtube etc) or pretty much anything else for that matter, chances are that there are already hundreds of tutorials and videos on YT showing you exactly how to do so step by step.

You don't need to be technically proficient; just have half a brain and follow instructions.

Posts: 99 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:
There's tons of add on extensions that will let you download vids from youtube and hulu... just use google.

Google is ur friend. Anything that you may want to do technically speaking (downloading vids from youtube etc) or pretty much anything else for that matter, chances are that there are already hundreds of tutorials and videos on YT showing you exactly how to do so step by step.

You don't need to be technically proficient; just have half a brain and follow instructions.

Uggghh,(hand on head) for all those who say google this and that, in your own mind, Im sure you mean to be helpful. But yet again, ripping footage is not quite as easy as u make it out to be, neither is editing your own footage. Neither is making copies of your own headshots, or cutting your own hair

If these things were that easy, then places that edit, aircheck, cut hair, reproduce copies ect... would not exist would they?

To Jackie, I actually downloaded that 14 day free trial, and you know what happened, my laptop started getting a bunch of undesirable pop ups, and after I downloaded it, it said something to the effect of my browser didn't support the program.

I had to unload it, and reset my computer to an earlier time. Simply put, it was bad idea. Thus why I ended going to the place that does it professionally. If one doesn't have 30, 40, 50 bucks to invest in this game, then they should be in it. I see many actors on these boards spending a whole lot more on many things that I don't even find helpful.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uggghh,(hand on head) for all those who say google this and that, in your own mind, Im sure you mean to be helpful. But yet again, ripping footage is not quite as easy as u make it out to be, neither is editing your own footage. Neither is making copies of your own headshots, or cutting your own hair

Sure they would. Is it easy to put gas in your own car? Yes it is. Do people still pay extra to have someone else do it for them? Yes they do. Regardless of how easy something is there will always be people who will pay someone else to do it for a variety of reasons: Time, Ease, Sheer Laziness.

Then again, you are somewhat right, computer related things are mystifying to a lot of people. Apple has built an entire empire on the fact that the only computer people can operate is the one that treats you like an idiot.

Having the $50 bucks isn't the problem, it's knowing that there are better things you could do with that money. There are certainly people who spend way more money on way dumber things, however, that really has little bearing on this.

Posts: 794 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:

If these things were that easy, then places that edit, aircheck, cut hair, reproduce copies ect... would not exist would they?

To Jackie, I actually downloaded that 14 day free trial, and you know what happened, my laptop started getting a bunch of undesirable pop ups, and after I downloaded it, it said something to the effect of my browser didn't support the program.

I had to unload it, and reset my computer to an earlier time. Simply put, it was bad idea. Thus why I ended going to the place that does it professionally. If one doesn't have 30, 40, 50 bucks to invest in this game, then they should be in it. I see many actors on these boards spending a whole lot more on many things that I don't even find helpful.

Editing your own footage is a cinch with Imovie or any of the many other video editing movies out there.... Imovie is basically made for the average person who barely knows how to log on Firefox or Facebook and it doesn't require any tech savvy; it's as simple as simple can get and editing clips on an ipad or iphone is a matter of swiping it where you want to cut with your finger and dragging a yellow box around. If someone can't figure out how to use it then they got some problems. There's also software available where you can also adjust the saturation/brightness/contrast etc... Of course I would rather pay a pro for headshots or top stylist to do my hair but when it comes to pc related things there is nothing that I personally cannot do. I've worked online for the past 15 years and I've done it all from building sites, installing php scripts, making tons of money online, installing new power supplies, hard drives, reformatting, getting rid of viruses. All of those things I actually learned by Googling (serious) hence my suggestion to use Google. It wasn't meant as an insult but just telling you what works for me.

I am the type of person who would not hesitate to spend a lot of money to get my hair highlighted and cut but easy as pie pc related things like downloading a vid from a movie site would be a cinch for me and there would be no need for me to pay someone to do that when i can do it myself in 10 min. I consider myself tech/pc proficient though. Downloading a video from YT or Hulu is a very simple thing that requires no skill and is not comparable to something like getting your hair dyed in the balayage technique which would be impossible for me do to by myself.

Posts: 99 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jackie and Syphus on this one. I could've understood the argument ten years ago, before it was trendy with user-friendly interfaces, but not anymore. Whether people like it or not, but it's time to put the excuse "Oh I'm not good with computers!" on the shelf. If it was some advanced programming, yes, then you're still excused. But my 60 year old mom, who had no idea what "texting" was up until I got her an iphone, would probably be able to figure out how to use Google and edit a movie clip.
I don't want to sound mean. But in the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Posts: 33 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I will concede one thing. Ripping from Hulu is not as straightforward as some other ways. However, there is always the method that shall not be named.

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
As far as editing goes, I went from never having opened an editing program to shooting and editing my own webseries with Windows Movie Maker (the basic free editor that comes with Windows) by taking baby steps, the first of which was trying to assemble clips for my own reel. Now I'm doing the same with Adobe Premiere. Movie Maker and iMovie are super user-friendly. I'd encourage anyone to open them up and play around.

Posts: 143 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I recently had to submit a video audition and went from knowing zero on Windows Moviemaker to editing a pretty decent 1:30 video in about half an hour. Got a callback too! If I can do it, you can do it!

Posts: 30 | Location: Southern California | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
If you have a Mac you can use New Screen Recording. It doesn't always have the best audio but if it's your only option it's worth a try.

Callie Harlan
Adorable feistiness mixed with a defiant dark-side

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallieNYC
www.CallieHarlan.com

Posts: 12 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Just saw this feed, someone mentioned using a downloaded episode from iTunes, is that easy? Any advice/direction on screen capture or file changing software one might need to download? Cheers

"Acting is all about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." George Burns

Posts: 3 | Location: santa monica | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post