home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Top 5 Acting Classes in LA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 5 Acting Classes in LA Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michellejohnsons:
quote:
Originally posted by Eleonel:
I tried Acting Corps. Least favorite school mainly because Eugene came into the class of a recently hired teacher and took it over. He proceeded to take it up with one of the students, forgot why.

Anyway, the teacher (a working actor) stepped in to add his 2 cents which somewhat contradicted what Eugene was saying, this guy snaps on the teacher in front of everyone. After that day I was done with it, I don't like people who swear things should be done one way (their way). I usually don't call anyone out like that, but in this case I was disgusted.

Don't get me wrong, if you're new to LA and have a decent amount of cash. It's a great place to meet buddies and develop the basics but I would rather spend my money somewhere else.

I loved these next few teachers.

Doug Warhit - He's blunt, definitely tries to get the best out of you. At times he can seem a tad harsh but I think that's just his way of communicating. He is spot on with notes from my experience.

Saxon Trainor - Totally different, she gives me more of a tender and relaxed vibe. She's more laid back but she knew how to teach and gave great advice as well.

Kimberly Jentzen - I took her 3 day intensive back when I lived in Miami a couple years ago. I was very impressed, from what I remember she was catering and also gave me good notes.

However, like many before have said, find the teacher you click with. I'd also like to note that these are just MY experiences, I know it's not the be all end all.

Oh and if looking for improv, my experience with Groundlings brought nothing but knowledge and laughter.

Hi Johnny
Eugene ?? Are you sure ? My cousin praises him a lot for the way he interacts with his students and moreover he once told me "Eugene deserves to be an actor not a teacher"

Yes, it was him alright. I met him when I enlisted in the school and he has a monumental painting of himself so there's no way I could be mistaken. I'm not really trying to bash the guy or slander his name, just sharing my experience which happened to be bad. I'm sure others like your cousin would differ.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
There are no top acting schools in general in LA. It just depends on where you fit and what you like. Once you learn the basics of acting, which takes place pretty quickly, you can study anywhere you want and get equal benefit. It is mostly about working in a safe environment under a teacher who offers constructive, beneficial critiques of your work. Once you learn the basics (which again, is pretty fast) it is just a matter of getting up and doing it over and over and over again. And really, you can do it anywhere. Even with a group of friends...and for FREE.

Posts: 265 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eleonel:
I tried Acting Corps. Least favorite school mainly because Eugene came into the class of a recently hired teacher and took it over. He proceeded to take it up with one of the students, forgot why.

Anyway, the teacher (a working actor) stepped in to add his 2 cents which somewhat contradicted what Eugene was saying, this guy snaps on the teacher in front of everyone. After that day I was done with it, I don't like people who swear things should be done one way (their way). I usually don't call anyone out like that, but in this case I was disgusted.

Don't get me wrong, if you're new to LA and have a decent amount of cash. It's a great place to meet buddies and develop the basics but I would rather spend my money somewhere else.

I loved these next few teachers.

Doug Warhit - He's blunt, definitely tries to get the best out of you. At times he can seem a tad harsh but I think that's just his way of communicating. He is spot on with notes from my experience.

Saxon Trainor - Totally different, she gives me more of a tender and relaxed vibe. She's more laid back but she knew how to teach and gave great advice as well.

Kimberly Jentzen - I took her 3 day intensive back when I lived in Miami a couple years ago. I was very impressed, from what I remember she was catering and also gave me good notes.

However, like many before have said, find the teacher you click with. I'd also like to note that these are just MY experiences, I know it's not the be all end all.

Oh and if looking for improv, my experience with Groundlings brought nothing but knowledge and laughter.

I did Kimberly Jentzen's 3 day intensive here in LA and felt it was a waste of my time and money. It was 3 days of her selling her revised book and talking about casting the war movie she was directing. A lot of non instructional chit chat with a few students that she knew from previous classes. 15 minute breaks would turn into 45 or an hour. I got nothing out of it. Other than she has a huge ego. I did get to take home a deck of her Emotion Cards though...

Posts: 26 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin:
A lot of people are crazy about Anthony Meindl and Stan Kirsch right now.

I think Anthony is one of the most overrated teachers. I'm pretty sure he campaigns like crazy to be voted best teacher of 2012 in that silly Backstage Poll.

There is NOTHING revolutionary about what he teaches. It's pretty much Meisner in that you have to listen and react.

I've been to the Master class. There was some great acting and there were times when I was scratching my head going "this must not be too hard to get into."

The people who were great and were on his brag board had solid training before Anthony, so his class is more like practice for them.

One thing that annoyed me was he makes you hold your sides AFTER the first week of getting your scene. What the hell is up with that? You have to memorize when on set, so why not in class? And if I don't need the sides, why must I hold them? They're now a distraction. I want to be a film actor not a CD Workshop actor.

Yes, his class has a wait list, but I think it's because there are so many insecure fucks in LA who want a cheerleader teacher.

There are CHEAPER and BETTER teachers who do pretty much the same thing he teaches.

I am currently studying with Meindl and like him very much. Not everyone is going to love a teacher. Every single acting teacher in LA has those who love them and those who hate them. It depends on you, the actor, what you like and where you fit in.

My beef with most acting teachers in this town is there is too much emphasis on "The Power of Positive Thinking". The whole "If you close your eyes really hard, click your heels together three times, then you will likely land in Oz" BS is just too misleading in my opinion. I know they have to teach that to an extent, because most people in LA are all about achieving stardom. They could careless about true acting technique.

But hey, gotta give the people what they want ... to an extent ...or you will be out of business very soon.

Posts: 265 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
My beef with most acting teachers in this town is there is too much emphasis on "The Power of Positive Thinking".

Yet you enjoy the most notorious Tony Robbins wannabe in LA...

Posts: 1349 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
My friend, most acting teachers are tony robbins...they have to be. You know that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
My friend, most acting teachers are tony robbins...they have to be. You know that.

Yes, but you're studying with the BIGGEST wannabe of them all.

Posts: 1349 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met & worked with actors who are studying with the great (Castle, Fine, Meindl, etc.) and... no, great classes do not make you great actors. Evaluate yourself. Are you a hard-working, educated, smart actor? If you are, and you are open to new ideas and smart with your choices, you will thrive no matter where you go. Audit the class. See if their approach works for you AND your issues.

EX: I'm very cebrebral and academic (great asset in memorizing and breaking down scripts), but my issue is to get to the emotional core of the character, especially in cold-read. So I take a lot of improv and acting classes that focus on these issues. I also make sure these classes are taught by people who also come from an academic background because then they can understand my problem of over-thinking things and help me find a way around it.

I really advice against taking a class without an audit. Even if they are cheap, promising the moon, and popular. I hear way too many woes from actors who went this route. Luckily I have never had a bad experience spending my money on classes, but I ask around and audit for a month before deciding on one. I highly recommend you take your time for your research. Classes are so expensive, and you don't want to make the wrong choice.

Posts: 10 | Location: North Hollywood | Registered: July 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Survival Artist:
I met & worked with actors who are studying with the great (Castle, Fine, Meindl, etc.) and... no, great classes do not make you great actors. Evaluate yourself. Are you a hard-working, educated, smart actor? If you are, and you are open to new ideas and smart with your choices, you will thrive no matter where you go. Audit the class. See if their approach works for you AND your issues.

EX: I'm very cebrebral and academic (great asset in memorizing and breaking down scripts), but my issue is to get to the emotional core of the character, especially in cold-read. So I take a lot of improv and acting classes that focus on these issues. I also make sure these classes are taught by people who also come from an academic background because then they can understand my problem of over-thinking things and help me find a way around it.

I really advice against taking a class without an audit. Even if they are cheap, promising the moon, and popular. I hear way too many woes from actors who went this route. Luckily I have never had a bad experience spending my money on classes, but I ask around and audit for a month before deciding on one. I highly recommend you take your time for your research. Classes are so expensive, and you don't want to make the wrong choice.

You can't just come in here, say that sh*t and not give a recommendation. I'm also very academic and over-think things.

I love auditing, but a lot of places don't allow it because they want to "respect" their actors and the process. I understand why. New people sitting in all the time is distracting. Especially if they sit there and play with their phone and generally just don't care. But I agree. Audit if you can.

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:

You can't just come in here, say that sh*t and not give a recommendation. I'm also very academic and over-think things.

I'm glad you're an academic, that means you understand that your attitude towards others, especially those you disagree with, reflects the level of your intelligence.

I can't give a rec regarding THE top acting classes because, if you read my post, I don't agree with the idea. For me a top acting class is one that helps you, and how do you know if it helps? Are you going to base that on how popular it is? Or how is it going to truly speak to you and your issues?

If people just want a list of acting classes that everyone knows and respects (doesn't matter if they help them), then I think that list can be found on Top Rated Acting Classes of 20-- on Backstage. Again, I mentioned some of those names as well. But how is it going to help reharshing those names? I used myself as an ex. to show how my process worked for me, and that's my 2 cents. I can't speak for others. I don't know the "one" answer, so I shared the answer I found for myself. People care too much about "names". That's a problem. That was my point.

Posts: 10 | Location: North Hollywood | Registered: July 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Survival Artist:
quote:
Originally posted by SomeButthole:

I'm glad you're an academic, that means you understand that your attitude towards others, especially those you disagree with, reflects the level of your intelligence.

I can't give a rec regarding THE top acting classes because, if you read my post, I don't agree with the idea. For me a top acting class is one that helps you, and how do you know if it helps? Are you going to base that on how popular it is? Or how is it going to truly speak to you and your issues?

If people just want a list of acting classes that everyone knows and respects (doesn't matter if they help them), then I think that list can be found on Top Rated Acting Classes of 20-- on Backstage. Again, I mentioned some of those names as well. But how is it going to help reharshing those names? I used myself as an ex. to show how my process worked for me, and that's my 2 cents. I can't speak for others. I don't know the "one" answer, so I shared the answer I found for myself. People care too much about "names". That's a problem. That was my point.

Didn't disagree with you, just wanted to know who YOU personally recommended.

I don't give a shit about names, really. If I did, I would be going to the top 5 most popular schools so that I could just list them on my resume. But I'm not. I want to be good and I want to work in class. I like hole-in-the-wall classes the best. I admire Roy London. He taught numerous A-listers in his living room and nobody knew his name until years later when one or two people thanked him in their acceptance speeches. That's basically what I'm after.

I can tell in person whether I click with a teacher or not. But I like recommendations so I can at least go check them out for myself.

Posts: 92 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Im gonna throw out a shout out to Amy Lyndon for this thread as well.

I studied with Amy for a few months right before my break and will be going back to study with her next year but prior to that I had had stops at 3 different acting classes looking for the right fit.

What I realized when I stopped at Amy's class is that I knew had to act.....what I needed to work on was taking what I had already learned and applying it to the audition and realizing HOW to apply it in the right way for each given audition.

Before Amy's class I had started to feel really unchallenged by acting classes......I was not staying long enough with any given one to be in their "master" class and I wanted to work with actors that were working consistantly.....how do you not improve unless your working with good fellow students (IMO)

Amy does a lot of promotion....you have all seen it im sure....but to go along with that she is also a excellent teacher, a former manager, and has a keen eye. She also wont BS you.....she will tell you how it is but does it in a constructive way.

Love Amy

"Its the struggle that makes it great"

Posts: 37 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing more and more local Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre comedians booking great roles on television.

My opinion, join a good comedy theatre.

I Film Funny Videos, Write Articles, and Take Photographs
www.marcellariley.com

Posts: 17 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan Williams Act Club is negative and unprofessional Acting class His class is taught in hotel rooms and class is suppose to begin at 7pm. He is usually 45 to 1 hour late. When he arrives he then spends an hour name dropping people that he doesn't know in LA and he then claims to have wrote Disturbing Behavior which is a lie.He then proceed to tell his actors to spread negativity to actors when auditioning so when you enter the room you are the only positive actor. He also refuses to give receipts for the 175 you pay for 4 classes. When he critic your scene study he takes 40 minutes to name drop and talk about all the people he knows instead of focusing his critic solely on your craft. So if this seems like the school for you by all means join Act Club

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has and will always be a tough question to answer. Find some friends who's acting you respect and ask them. If you don't have acting friends, that's a problem.

This is what I know.

Diana Castle is best if you are very into diving deep into your character. Serious actors who like drama and theatre flock here. She's fucking good though.

Lesley Kahn is comedy and tv. Someone is right when she said she is like a finishing school. She doesn't teach newbies how to be emotionally available, she teachers people how to "nail" scenes. The people who study with her work a lot and are very well connected. Casting and agents take her calls and even call her for suggestions. She uses scenes from current tv projects for her classes.

Eric Morris is the only teacher I know that gets actors to be emotionally available. His book is crazy and amazing. Not so sure how he is for acting for the biz though.

Ivana Chubbuck looks great on your resume. I've seen a lot of actors who aren't great who are in her master class though. But having names on your resume can help. But like everyone else is saying, you gotta be good.

Howard Fine is who I recommend most for foundation acting. For new people. It's expensive yes. But it's one of the closet you can get to a university experience with it's structure of classes and the students that go there. So if you are deciding between a four year university or a two year acting school, Howard Fine's program is a very good alternative. He knows what he's doing. AADA is my favorite two year program. Please no NYFA. Those actors go no where.

I don't know much about Margie Haber besides she's great at cold reading. People either love or hate her.

Richard Lawson is very good too. He's an actor and he tries to get his students to be very proactive by helping them film scenes. Definitely, has a guru feel to him.

Michael Woodson always has rave reviews. No auditing. Expensive. Casting directors that know him love him. I've never heard a bad thing about him. Not known too much as he doesn't advertise and isn't an egoist. Scene study.

Jack Plotnick is a working actor that runs a great workshop to get you out of your head. Not too expensive and really makes you see acting in a different light. Not for beginners.

Doug Warhit runs an on camera class. Allows auditing. Not too expensive. His private coaching is the cheapest out of the namey acting coaches. He's good. He's straight forward and pretty technical in the way he asks you about your character's life.

Tom Todoroff. Do not go to him. Huge ego and feeds off of your insecurities. Well, to be honest with you, he gives you a lot of freedom to perform what you want to work on. Loose structure to his class. It's just expensive and he has tons of students and lets his class run for like 8 hours. He asks good questions though and he has voice lessons and cd workshops sometimes.

People are talking about Stan Kirsch a lot. Heard he's Lesly Kahn based. So technical, but not as abrasive.

Joseph Pearlman seems to be moving on up too.

There's so many damn acting teachers. Just get in a class. Don't let them manipulative you though.

Playhouse west and BH Playhouse I heard are good too.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post