home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Top 5 Acting Classes in LA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 5 Acting Classes in LA Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
The only thing that bugs me is how much even some good teachers use actors they've taught names. I personally wouldn't want to be used as a marketing tool on their website. For some reason it doesn't look as tacky when universities or conservatories do it.

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michellejohnsons:
quote:
Originally posted by Eleonel:
I tried Acting Corps. Least favorite school mainly because Eugene came into the class of a recently hired teacher and took it over. He proceeded to take it up with one of the students, forgot why.

Anyway, the teacher (a working actor) stepped in to add his 2 cents which somewhat contradicted what Eugene was saying, this guy snaps on the teacher in front of everyone. After that day I was done with it, I don't like people who swear things should be done one way (their way). I usually don't call anyone out like that, but in this case I was disgusted.

Don't get me wrong, if you're new to LA and have a decent amount of cash. It's a great place to meet buddies and develop the basics but I would rather spend my money somewhere else.

I loved these next few teachers.

Doug Warhit - He's blunt, definitely tries to get the best out of you. At times he can seem a tad harsh but I think that's just his way of communicating. He is spot on with notes from my experience.

Saxon Trainor - Totally different, she gives me more of a tender and relaxed vibe. She's more laid back but she knew how to teach and gave great advice as well.

Kimberly Jentzen - I took her 3 day intensive back when I lived in Miami a couple years ago. I was very impressed, from what I remember she was catering and also gave me good notes.

However, like many before have said, find the teacher you click with. I'd also like to note that these are just MY experiences, I know it's not the be all end all.

Oh and if looking for improv, my experience with Groundlings brought nothing but knowledge and laughter.

Hi Johnny
Eugene ?? Are you sure ? My cousin praises him a lot for the way he interacts with his students and moreover he once told me "Eugene deserves to be an actor not a teacher"

Yes, it was him alright. I met him when I enlisted in the school and he has a monumental painting of himself so there's no way I could be mistaken. I'm not really trying to bash the guy or slander his name, just sharing my experience which happened to be bad. I'm sure others like your cousin would differ.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
There are no top acting schools in general in LA. It just depends on where you fit and what you like. Once you learn the basics of acting, which takes place pretty quickly, you can study anywhere you want and get equal benefit. It is mostly about working in a safe environment under a teacher who offers constructive, beneficial critiques of your work. Once you learn the basics (which again, is pretty fast) it is just a matter of getting up and doing it over and over and over again. And really, you can do it anywhere. Even with a group of friends...and for FREE.

Posts: 191 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eleonel:
I tried Acting Corps. Least favorite school mainly because Eugene came into the class of a recently hired teacher and took it over. He proceeded to take it up with one of the students, forgot why.

Anyway, the teacher (a working actor) stepped in to add his 2 cents which somewhat contradicted what Eugene was saying, this guy snaps on the teacher in front of everyone. After that day I was done with it, I don't like people who swear things should be done one way (their way). I usually don't call anyone out like that, but in this case I was disgusted.

Don't get me wrong, if you're new to LA and have a decent amount of cash. It's a great place to meet buddies and develop the basics but I would rather spend my money somewhere else.

I loved these next few teachers.

Doug Warhit - He's blunt, definitely tries to get the best out of you. At times he can seem a tad harsh but I think that's just his way of communicating. He is spot on with notes from my experience.

Saxon Trainor - Totally different, she gives me more of a tender and relaxed vibe. She's more laid back but she knew how to teach and gave great advice as well.

Kimberly Jentzen - I took her 3 day intensive back when I lived in Miami a couple years ago. I was very impressed, from what I remember she was catering and also gave me good notes.

However, like many before have said, find the teacher you click with. I'd also like to note that these are just MY experiences, I know it's not the be all end all.

Oh and if looking for improv, my experience with Groundlings brought nothing but knowledge and laughter.

I did Kimberly Jentzen's 3 day intensive here in LA and felt it was a waste of my time and money. It was 3 days of her selling her revised book and talking about casting the war movie she was directing. A lot of non instructional chit chat with a few students that she knew from previous classes. 15 minute breaks would turn into 45 or an hour. I got nothing out of it. Other than she has a huge ego. I did get to take home a deck of her Emotion Cards though...

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post