home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Casting Director Workshop: target list feedback?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting Director Workshop: target list feedback? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Bulletin! Find the schools or workshops that give FREE Casting Director or Agent showcases. There about five or six of them in L.A.

Posts: 61 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Chan:
Bulletin! Find the schools or workshops that give FREE Casting Director or Agent showcases. There about five or six of them in L.A.

Yes, that's a cool value, but the problems with that is:
1. You normally don't know who the CD is until the 3rd week.
2. Is that CD even relevant to YOUR personal target list?
3. Is this CD on hiatus or actually casting right now?
4. Is this one of those indie CDs or old school CDs that doesn't really cast much these days?

If you have a targeted list and the targeted CDs are NOT on hiatus then paying to see them ASAP is a cost that most actors are willing to take.

Posts: 1415 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnabon Monster:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpb73:
Ok so according to Struggling Artist (and others)casting directors NEVER will cast anyone from these workshops. So it's not worth it for any reason?
What about just getting your name and face out there and beginning the correspondence process etc so when you finally are meeting them legitimately and not through a workshop, that they MIGHT be aware of who you are? Total longshots I know, but isn't that a big part of the whole process?

Good for you!! However, we are not talking about you here, we are talking in general sense of these workshops and the success rates for the MAJORITY not one person.

The success rate for becoming a working, successful actor is not high for anybody who is not already established, whether going the workshop route, or any other way.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good for you!! However, we are not talking about you here, we are talking in general sense of these workshops and the success rates for the MAJORITY not one person.

Like TRUTH said, most actors don't know how to do workshops properly nor do they have the proper training to even be doing them in the first place. And even if they did, they come in with a mindset that they expect a job right away.

If you don't like doing them, then don't do it. I've seen actors succeeding without doing them so you too can be part of that group!

Posts: 354 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The MAJORITY unfortunately comprises of wannabe actors who are NOT well trained and should NOT be doing CD workshops.

If the the majority who didn't find success with CD workshops were either Tisch/Julliard/RADA/etc. grads or total bad asses at some of the top schools, then you'd have a much stronger argument.

Actually the success rate of CD workshops is reflective of the whole acting pool in general. We all know that only a small percentage can make a living solely from acting. And thus, it makes sense that only a few get called in from CD Workshops.

Instead of writing anti-workshop sentiments and bitchings, what needs to be done is this:

To the actors:
-These are NOT classes! Get into REAL acting classes!
-DON'T see every CD. ONLY target the ones relevant to YOU.
-If you're not finding success, maybe reassess your training. You can always go and see the same CDs again later.
-Find the cheapest places to see the same CDs who attend other places. This will at least shut down the greedier workshop owners.
-Use Castingabout.com to find out if a targeted CD is actually casting. If they're on hiatus, don't feed their "Workshop Whoring" ways!

To the workshop owners:
-STOP BEING SO FUCKING GREEDY! Cough cough...Melissa Bacelar/Jenny Phagan, Tara Donovan, Scott David, Daniel Probert, etc.
-Be fucking honest and weed out people who are consistently sucking at workshops.

To the casting directors:
-See more live shows, dammit!

Posts: 1415 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnabon Monster:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpb73:
Ok so according to Struggling Artist (and others)casting directors NEVER will cast anyone from these workshops. So it's not worth it for any reason?
What about just getting your name and face out there and beginning the correspondence process etc so when you finally are meeting them legitimately and not through a workshop, that they MIGHT be aware of who you are? Total longshots I know, but isn't that a big part of the whole process?

The success rate for becoming a working, successful actor is not high for anybody who is not already established, whether going the workshop route, or any other way.

Jack's comment cuts through the crap. I have a mantra that I've been using for awhile now, that's both realistic and optimistic:

"Improbable...but not Impossible"

Posts: 37 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:

The MAJORITY unfortunately comprises of wannabe actors who are NOT well trained and should NOT be doing CD workshops.

If the the majority who didn't find success with CD workshops were either Tisch/Julliard/RADA/etc. grads or total bad asses at some of the top schools, then you'd have a much stronger argument.

Actually the success rate of CD workshops is reflective of the whole acting pool in general. We all know that only a small percentage can make a living solely from acting. And thus, it makes sense that only a few get called in from CD Workshops.

Instead of writing anti-workshop sentiments and bitchings, what needs to be done is this:

To the actors:
-These are NOT classes! Get into REAL acting classes!
-DON'T see every CD. ONLY target the ones relevant to YOU.
-If you're not finding success, maybe reassess your training. You can always go and see the same CDs again later.
-Find the cheapest places to see the same CDs who attend other places. This will at least shut down the greedier workshop owners.
-Use Castingabout.com to find out if a targeted CD is actually casting. If they're on hiatus, don't feed their "Workshop Whoring" ways!

To the workshop owners:
-STOP BEING SO FUCKING GREEDY! Cough cough...Melissa Bacelar/Jenny Phagan, Tara Donovan, Scott David, Daniel Probert, etc.
-Be fucking honest and weed out people who are consistently sucking at workshops.

To the casting directors:
-See more live shows, dammit!

They won't see live shows because they aren't getting paid.

I'm really tired of hearing arrogant, cocky actors on this site saying that if you don't succeed at workshops it is your fault. I suspect there are a lot of CDs on this site posing as actors so they can keep the workshop con alive.

Just because you attend workshops and don't get called in, that has nothing to do with whether or not you are a good actor and need training. This whole town (and business) is about luck. There are actors walking around in LA that could act Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks and others under a table. The difference: they didn't get a break (yet), they didn't meet the right person, they weren't in the right place, etc. etc. etc.

Too many people on this site perpetuating a fraud...probably because they have been screwed and want others to be as well.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
However, we are not talking about you here, we are talking in general sense of these workshops and the success rates for the MAJORITY not one person.

There are actors walking around in LA that could act Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks and others under a table. .

Yeah, but do the American people wanna pay to see you and these other actors on the silver screen or on their TV every week?

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Truthteller you keep mentioning about focusing on CD's that could possibly cast you but how can you ever know that? Cinnabon for instance, is Asian and got cast on Raising Hope. I don't think they usually cast a lot of people within his nationality but yet he still got the opportunity. I understand the theory that you shouldn't waste a lot of time if, for instance, a CD usually casts, let's say, black people and you're white...but who ever really knows what the next script will require? A CD could primarily cast white 20 somethings but then a particular script could call for an overweight french man and that could be your gig if you fit that description. That could end up being your breakout gig. I understand the notion that you shouldn't "waste time" on a CD that usually doesn't cast your type but how can you ever really know?

Posts: 27 | Location: Denver | Registered: July 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpb73:
Truthteller you keep mentioning about focusing on CD's that could possibly cast you but how can you ever know that? Cinnabon for instance, is Asian and got cast on Raising Hope. I don't think they usually cast a lot of people within his nationality but yet he still got the opportunity. I understand the theory that you shouldn't waste a lot of time if, for instance, a CD usually casts, let's say, black people and you're white...but who ever really knows what the next script will require? A CD could primarily cast white 20 somethings but then a particular script could call for an overweight french man and that could be your gig if you fit that description. That could end up being your breakout gig. I understand the notion that you shouldn't "waste time" on a CD that usually doesn't cast your type but how can you ever really know?

The CDs for Raising Hope also used to cast shows like Community and other sitcoms that took place in more diverse areas. And Asians can live in what is supposedly Virginia too. So your reasoning fails at that part.

Unless you have access to the Breakdowns and saw that a VERY unlikely CD was FOR ONCE looking for YOUR type, you won't know and will have to pray your agent submits you for that.

If you do have access to pirated breakdowns, then pray the CD/associate is doing a CD Workshop that night and go stalk him or her.

OTHERWISE, the best way to use your money is to target the shows that you know without the benefit of pirated breakdowns that do cast your type. It's not hard to figure out. If you HONESTLY look like you could play high school then target CW and ABC Family. If you're more the White collar type, then target every procedural, law, medical, office genre. If you're Black, then you're an idiot if you don't target the CDs who cast Tyler Perry projects.

You could pay to see every fucking CD and associate (Around 360 total in LA, probably 180 of the 360 attend workshops), but that's a wasted investment without the right research.

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dpb73:

The CDs for Raising Hope also used to cast shows like Community and other sitcoms that took place in more diverse areas. And Asians can live in what is supposedly Virginia too. So your reasoning fails at that part.

Unless you have access to the Breakdowns and saw that a VERY unlikely CD was FOR ONCE looking for YOUR type, you won't know and will have to pray your agent submits you for that.

If you do have access to pirated breakdowns, then pray the CD/associate is doing a CD Workshop that night and go stalk him or her.

OTHERWISE, the best way to use your money is to target the shows that you know without the benefit of pirated breakdowns that do cast your type. It's not hard to figure out. If you HONESTLY look like you could play high school then target CW and ABC Family. If you're more the White collar type, then target every procedural, law, medical, office genre. If you're Black, then you're an idiot if you don't target the CDs who cast Tyler Perry projects.

You could pay to see every fucking CD and associate (Around 360 total in LA, probably 180 of the 360 attend workshops), but that's a wasted investment without the right research.

I've heard this reasoning before, but let's face it. How do you know what shows you will wind up on? You don't. You may think you are funny and belong on shows like "Community" or "Parks and Recreation", but the casting director for "Criminal Minds" might think you would be great as a sadistic serial killer (such as was my case, and got the part.) And I was NOT see in a workshop.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
However, we are not talking about you here, we are talking in general sense of these workshops and the success rates for the MAJORITY not one person.

There are actors walking around in LA that could act Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks and others under a table. .

Yeah, but do the American people wanna pay to see you and these other actors on the silver screen or on their TV every week?

If I had the right agent, the right promoters, the right publicist and all of that, yes, Jack, I would be. Come on buddy. You know how this town works. Smiler