home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Casting Director Workshop: target list feedback?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting Director Workshop: target list feedback? Login/Join

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Just watch the credits for God's sake!! Most shows are cast by a handful of CDs. I watch the credits, unlike most.

Posts: 265 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
Just watch the credits for God's sake!! Most shows are cast by a handful of CDs. I watch the credits, unlike most.

So do fucking I!

Some popular prime time shows STRICTLY cast in LA (this isn't including even the many great cable/Hulu/Netflix shows):

THE FOLLOWING, VAMPIRE DIARIES
Cds: Greg Orson, Lesli Gelles-Raymond
Associates: Stacey Taylor-Singerman, Joanna Davis

SCANDAL, GREY'S ANATOMY
Cds: Linda Lowy, Will Stewart
Associates: Jamie Castro

NEW GIRL
CDs: Anya Colloff, Michael Nicolo
Associates: Jessica Munks

RAKE
CDs: Rebecca Mangieri, Wendy Weidman
Associates: Emily Schoener

MODERN FAMILY
CDs: Jeff Greenberg
Associates: Allen Hooper

BIG BANG THEORY, TWO AND HALF MEN, MIKE AND MOLLY
CDs: Ken Miller, Nikki Valko
Assoc: Tara Treacy

REVENGE:
CDs: Lisa Soltau
Assoc: Kathleen Parker

GLEE
CDs: Robert Ulrich, Alex Newman

COMMUNITY
CDs: Josh Einsohn, Juel Bestrop

PARKS & RECREATION
CDs: Dorian Frankel
Assoc: Marlise Gunzenhauser

CRIMINAL MINDS
CDs: April Webster, Scott David
Assoc: Lisa Zambetti

REVOLUTION
CDs: April Webster
Assoc: Erica Silverman

HAWAII FIVE-O
CDs: Jennifer Cooper
Assoc: Lindsay Jameyson

THE MINDY PROJECT
CDs: Jeanne McCarthy, Nicole Abellera
Assoc: Jaime Harlan

MIXOLOGY
CDs: Wendy O'Brien
Assoc: Gina Gallego

SUBURGATORY
CDs: Tim Payne, Lisa Ystrom
Assoc: Angela Scaletta

GRIMM
CDs: Donna Rosenstein, Marlo Tiede
Assoc: David Alex Miller

THE MIDDLE
CDs: G. Charles Wright
Assoc:Tarquin Alexander

I see way more than just these 3-4 oligopoly casting offices your speak of. And this is just regular tv too.

Posts: 1372 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:

Some popular prime time shows STRICTLY cast in LA (this isn't including even the many great cable/Hulu/Netflix shows):

Not true at all. At least 5 of those shows(Hawaii Five-O(Hawaii), Revolution(North Carolina), Grimm(Portland), Vamp Diaries(N. Carolina) and Following(NY)) do not film in LA and do not "STRICTLY" cast in LA. Almost all co-stars and some guest stars are local hires cast by local CDs. Those cast in LA and flown out to those locations are known commodities, not workshop actors.

Posts: 251 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, here we go about the fact that workshop actors are considered "less" by casting directors. You guys have to realize that this kind of thinking is bollocks, right?

Posts: 350 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cinnabon Monster:
Oh boy, here we go about the fact that workshop actors are considered "less" by casting directors.

What about that fact? More people than just Billy have noticed the blatant disrespect CDs have for workshop actors, otherwise known to them as easy money or the shopping and food budget for the month. Sure, they'll call a few workshoppers in once in a while to keep the game working, making sure to advertise that on the workshop website. They'll even cast one once in a great while in a one-line role that would have otherwise gone to the line producer's buddy who canceled his trip from Iowa. That's the most a workshop actor can ever hope for.

Posts: 251 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LADelight:
quote:
Oh boy, here we go about the fact that workshop actors are considered "less" by casting directors.

. They'll even cast one once in a great while in a one-line role that would have otherwise gone to the line producer's buddy who canceled his trip from Iowa. That's the most a workshop actor can ever hope for.

SHowing ur ignorance once again. They don't cast anything, they find the choices for the producer (who never attended the workshop) to choose from.

Posts: 262 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:

So do fucking I!

THE FOLLOWING, VAMPIRE DIARIES
Cds: Greg Orson, Lesli Gelles-Raymond
Associates: Stacey Taylor-Singerman, Joanna Davis

SCANDAL, GREY'S ANATOMY
Cds: Linda Lowy, Will Stewart
Associates: Jamie Castro

NEW GIRL
CDs: Anya Colloff, Michael Nicolo
Associates: Jessica Munks

RAKE
CDs: Rebecca Mangieri, Wendy Weidman
Associates: Emily Schoener

MODERN FAMILY
CDs: Jeff Greenberg
Associates: Allen Hooper

BIG BANG THEORY, TWO AND HALF MEN, MIKE AND MOLLY
CDs: Ken Miller, Nikki Valko
Assoc: Tara Treacy

REVENGE:
CDs: Lisa Soltau
Assoc: Kathleen Parker

GLEE
CDs: Robert Ulrich, Alex Newman

COMMUNITY
CDs: Josh Einsohn, Juel Bestrop

PARKS & RECREATION
CDs: Dorian Frankel
Assoc: Marlise Gunzenhauser

CRIMINAL MINDS
CDs: April Webster, Scott David
Assoc: Lisa Zambetti

REVOLUTION
CDs: April Webster
Assoc: Erica Silverman

HAWAII FIVE-O
CDs: Jennifer Cooper
Assoc: Lindsay Jameyson

THE MINDY PROJECT
CDs: Jeanne McCarthy, Nicole Abellera
Assoc: Jaime Harlan

MIXOLOGY
CDs: Wendy O'Brien
Assoc: Gina Gallego

SUBURGATORY
CDs: Tim Payne, Lisa Ystrom
Assoc: Angela Scaletta

GRIMM
CDs: Donna Rosenstein, Marlo Tiede
Assoc: David Alex Miller

THE MIDDLE
CDs: G. Charles Wright
Assoc:Tarquin Alexander

I see way more than just these 3-4 oligopoly casting offices your speak of. And this is just regular tv too.

It all resorts back to a handful of CDs, trust me. Smiler

Posts: 265 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
Originally posted by LADelight:
quote:

. They'll even cast one once in a great while in a one-line role that would have otherwise gone to the line producer's buddy who canceled his trip from Iowa. That's the most a workshop actor can ever hope for.

SHowing ur ignorance once again. They don't cast anything, they find the choices for the producer (who never attended the workshop) to choose from.

THANK YOU JACK!!!! Finally, someone with reason about these friggin' CD workshops!!! I get so sick and tired of actors acting like the only way they are ever going to get a break in this business is relying on some casting director via a workshop. Actors are like zombies, flocking mindlessly to these workshops spending hundreds of dollars a week with zero results.

People, People, People, PLEASE....work with me here!!!! Learn how the business works and make friends with the REAL decision makers. And that is NOT casting directors. So save your damn money!

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Ok so according to Struggling Artist (and others)casting directors NEVER will cast anyone from these workshops. So it's not worth it for any reason?
What about just getting your name and face out there and beginning the correspondence process etc so when you finally are meeting them legitimately and not through a workshop, that they MIGHT be aware of who you are? Total longshots I know, but isn't that a big part of the whole process?

Posts: 27 | Location: Denver | Registered: July 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpb73:
Ok so according to Struggling Artist (and others)casting directors NEVER will cast anyone from these workshops. So it's not worth it for any reason?
What about just getting your name and face out there and beginning the correspondence process etc so when you finally are meeting them legitimately and not through a workshop, that they MIGHT be aware of who you are? Total longshots I know, but isn't that a big part of the whole process?

Don't pay any heed to STRUGGLING ARTIST but also at the same time, don't just take my words for what I'm about to say either:

Casting workshops are not the sole way to get a way into the entertainment industry but it IS one of the ways. If you hate it? Fine, don't do it. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't get anywhere, it just means you will definitely need to hustle to get an agent who will submit you.

For me, I had an extreme difficulty of getting any agent to sign me so I took the workshop route with a few that cast comedies. I ended up booking a one-liner for RAISING HOPE and to me, I was just happy with that because I was able to get a primetime co-star credit (and 3 years later, the residuals from that one episode has helped pay my rent 4 times).

I don't recommend doing every workshop on the planet but the ones that do shows you can see yourself being cast in. And then FOLLOWUP with these people. Trust me, the followups do work when done right and creatively. I have gotten direct to callback for a series regular role, been seen for a lead in an indie (and then booked it) shooting in Texas, and so on and so on.

At my level, I have slowed down my workshop amount due to the level of agencies I'm with but I know it helped me tremendously. Could I have done other ways? Sure. But the choice is yours Smiler

Posts: 350 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Wow I didn't realize residuals for a one-liner were all that impressive. Good for you!

Posts: 27 | Location: Denver | Registered: July 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow I didn't realize residuals for a one-liner were all that impressive. Good for you!

It definitely is when it's on a primetime channel

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me that it's possible that these CD Workshops are more beneficial for ethnic actors and those who are in less-competitive category.

Posts: 120 | Location: LA | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toonaive:
It sounds to me that it's possible that these CD Workshops are more beneficial for ethnic actors and those who are in less-competitive category.

Not true, I have seen a lot of white actors benefit from doing these workshops as well, including one who just recently auditioned for a lead in an indie film several weeks ago.

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don't pay any heed to STRUGGLING ARTIST but also at the same time, don't just take my words for what I'm about to say either:

Casting workshops are not the sole way to get a way into the entertainment industry but it IS one of the ways. If you hate it? Fine, don't do it. It doesn't necessarily mean you won't get anywhere, it just means you will definitely need to hustle to get an agent who will submit you.

For me, I had an extreme difficulty of getting any agent to sign me so I took the workshop route with a few that cast comedies. I ended up booking a one-liner for RAISING HOPE and to me, I was just happy with that because I was able to get a primetime co-star credit (and 3 years later, the residuals from that one episode has helped pay my rent 4 times).

I don't recommend doing every workshop on the planet but the ones that do shows you can see yourself being cast in. And then FOLLOWUP with these people. Trust me, the followups do work when done right and creatively. I have gotten direct to callback for a series regular role, been seen for a lead in an indie (and then booked it) shooting in Texas, and so on and so on.

At my level, I have slowed down my workshop amount due to the level of agencies I'm with but I know it helped me tremendously. Could I have done other ways? Sure. But the choice is yours Smiler

Good for you!! However, we are not talking about you here, we are talking in general sense of these workshops and the success rates for the MAJORITY not one person.