home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Casting Director Workshop: target list feedback?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting Director Workshop: target list feedback? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ReelGold:
My workshops with Ani Avetyan and Scott David resulted in invites to their own personal workshops. Ani, who said to me "wow, you're almost as skinny as I am," charges $100 per hour. I'm skinnier, by the way Wink

Exactly. I got the same type of invite from Mark Teschner. Fool me once...

Posts: 37 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
I can't speak for LA of course. But I've come to the conclusion that it's not all bad. There are certainly CDs who are useful to meet and who you can learn from. The problem is you need to find them and make sure you're going to the right ones.

I think the answer is that those who do them because they want to, not because they need the money, are where you'll find something worthwhile.

I'd say it's probably worse in LA than NY, but I don't totally disagree with you. The problem is, it's such a small percentage of the CD workshops, that are worthwhile; maybe 5%, 7%.

Ultimately, though, the fact is, you are paying to audition for them. To meet them, to be seen by them, in the hopes that they will remember you and bring you in sometime down the line.

I'm wondering if at least, at the very least, just ONE person, has scored big time, from all the years CD's have been doing workshops.

Posts: 37 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt. Hulka:
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
I can't speak for LA of course. But I've come to the conclusion that it's not all bad. There are certainly CDs who are useful to meet and who you can learn from. The problem is you need to find them and make sure you're going to the right ones.

I think the answer is that those who do them because they want to, not because they need the money, are where you'll find something worthwhile.

I'd say it's probably worse in LA than NY, but I don't totally disagree with you. The problem is, it's such a small percentage of the CD workshops, that are worthwhile; maybe 5%, 7%.

Ultimately, though, the fact is, you are paying to audition for them. To meet them, to be seen by them, in the hopes that they will remember you and bring you in sometime down the line.

I'm wondering if at least, at the very least, just ONE person, has scored big time, from all the years CD's have been doing workshops.

Oh I'm sure it is. There's so little of them out here that the cheapest ones are still about $100. Which is a big price gap from LA.

I'm sure there's at least someone who has gotten something worthwhile

I just hate that the workshop game has become standard.

Posts: 794 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There's a guy on the upcoming season of Mind Games that once met Jason Lapadura at workshop, kept in touch with him over the course of a year,and now he's joined the elite league of series regulars. Jason said he had to help this guy even get an agent to do the deal.

Its not typical to score that high, but your look, demographic, and ability, timing plays a bit into it as far as even getting called in for smaller roles. Not to mention being submitted by your rep.

I will say they do work a lot better when you already have credits of note, and a rep who is well liked.

The 5%-7% you listed is low. I would say that's the percentage of CDs that will give a newbie that's uncredited a chance, but the overall percentage that call in is definitely higher.

I personally don't mind them. Its a way to stand out from every other Joe Actor that refuses to do them.

But remember this too----EVERY ACTOR IS NOT AS CUTE, FUNNY, INTERESTING or TALENTED AS THEY THINK THEY ARE. Thus, no calls, no work. To include little kids overhyped by parents with cash.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Kostroff:
It's no secret I'm opposed to these workshops on principal. But recently, I heard something so appallingly cynical that it made me detest them even more.

Someone I know worked for a casting director who'd call people in from workshops just to perpertuate the idea that they call people in from workshops. They were never seriously considering these actors. After they left, the casting director told the assistant, "You can throw that photo out. That's just from one of the workshops."

Awful, huh?

Michael, you are exactly right. They do only call in people for that very reason. I'm one of those people who seriously questions just how much power most casting directors have anyway. Some don't even have the power to call you in for an audition, let alone get the job. Many of these casting directors treat workshops as their "second job". Some do them 7 days a week, and see hundreds and hundreds a week, too. And I've never heard of anyone getting a job from them that more than "under 5" anyway. A real rip-off for actors if you ask me.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
WELL SAID*******
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Kostroff:
It's no secret I'm opposed to these workshops on principal. But recently, I heard something so appallingly cynical that it made me detest them even more.

Someone I know worked for a casting director who'd call people in from workshops just to perpertuate the idea that they call people in from workshops. They were never seriously considering these actors. After they left, the casting director told the assistant, "You can throw that photo out. That's just from one of the workshops."

Awful, huh?

Michael, you are exactly right. They do only call in people for that very reason. I'm one of those people who seriously questions just how much power most casting directors have anyway. Some don't even have the power to call you in for an audition, let alone get the job. Many of these casting directors treat workshops as their "second job". Some do them 7 days a week, and see hundreds and hundreds a week, too. And I've never heard of anyone getting a job from them that more than "under 5" anyway. A real rip-off for actors if you ask me.

Posts: 268 | Location: LA | Registered: July 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Casting directors are NOT acting teachers! They do NOT teach anything! They give you only THEIR take on casting, what THEY look for! They did not go to college to learn how to be a casting director; in most cases, they fell into it because their chosen field didn't work out. Simply put, you are PAYING TO AUDITION for them! And the chances of you getting called in from a workshop, are slim and none. If they call you, it is to tell you how fantastic you were, and to ask if you'd like to join their 4-6-8 week workshop, so you can spend more money listening to their stupid anecdotes from a movie they cast 20 years ago. 99.9% of all casting directors who do workshops do so because they aren't making enough money casting projects.

And remember most casting directors are EX Actors. Many of them really don't like actors. They are jealous of them

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
"You can throw that photo out. That's just from one of the workshops."

My new mantra when questioning whether I should attend a CD workshop.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
My new mantra when questioning whether I should attend a CD workshop.

What a great thread. Sgt. Hulka, your mantra should be every actor's mantra, something to live by. What that casting director probably said (sorry Kostroff but I've heard it a hundred times and I want to correct you on the lingo) Smiler is this:

"You can throw that headshot out. He's a workshop actor." That's embarrassing.

When I did workshops 20 years ago (before I saw the light and recognized what workshops really were), I used to hear that phrase all the time, on panels and in showcases where casting people would be paid. Workshop owners would say to me "What are you working on?" and if I was between jobs, they'd ask me to make things up. And when I was casting something, they would ask me to bring their actors in - even if I didn't think they were exactly right - just to keep the scheme going. And most CDs I saw at these events weren't working at the time, which is exactly the reason they were doing workshops.

Here are a few facts to enlighten those who posted the questions earlier in the thread:

◊ A few years ago, DoNotPay.org did an exhaustive study as to how many jobs actors booked from workshops. We wanted to know the percentage of jobs booked by actors from attending workshops. The answer? 1.6%. That's right, less than 2% of all actors who attended workshops booked jobs, and usually U5 or co-star - or less We couldn't believe it, so we did another completely separate study. Same result. We have continued to check the numbers as the years have gone by, and they've remained consistent.

Your odds of booking work by NOT doing workshops are about the same.

◊ Some casting associates make thousands each month doing workshops. Jamie Castro (Grey's Anatomy, Scandal), for example, does as many as a dozen workshops in a month. The typical fee that casting directors are paid is $300 - $350. You do the math. Unless of course, you're Scott David, who I have been told makes as much as $750 per workshop. Actors pay up to $70 a ticket to take his workshop. Add to that the fact that he now owns his own workshop enterprise called Actors Link - both here and now in Florida, paying other casting directors to meet actors - as well as the Actors Link annex he has set up at a Argentum . He also sells an app on iTunes, and advertises ALL of these products to all those who take his workshop. Setting up his retirement fund?

These are just two casting directors, but there are currently over 100 assistants and associates cashing in on the workshop scheme. The casting workshop industry rakes in multimillions each year, every penny, by the way, paid by actors.

There are no alternatives to speak of right now. That's because the workshops, as you all have noted here, have become the defacto brokers to access to the casting offices of Hollywood. The chilling effect on any other free way to be seen is pretty obvious. What is the financial incentive for a casting professional to go see a play or attend a university drama graduating showcase when they can get paid hundreds to see 20 actors in a workshop? Why would a casting assistant bother to do general interviews (there are actually actors I meet who have no idea what that phrase means) when they get paid to do "one-on-one" interviews in a workshop?

The way to make the problem stop is to stop the problem. Stop believing the hype of a handful of exaggerated success stories and STOP paying a casting assistant's rent for a chance at a chance - when you can barely pay your own. In 2013, because so many actors have decided to take their power back, and invest in themselves, and develop their own projects instead of paying for access to a casting clerk, many workshops have closed their doors. House of Actors, Actors Syndicate, Dominion Entertainment...all gone. Others I know for a fact are almost done, either because they are not attracting the actors in the numbers they need to stay open, or because the law is taking a closer look at the way they're operating. I'm looking forward to the looming "perp-walk". Having cast 140 episodes of America's Most Wanted over the past 21 years, I've seen it before. Smiler

It's a matter of time, but there will be alternatives. Casting directors will always need actors and will find them whether they pay or not.

Keep your head up, take your power back, create your own opportunities, and don't play the workshop game if you can avoid it. Take the hundreds or thousands you'll save and invest in yourself. Start that production company. Finish that script. Buy a new camera. Study with that teacher you've always dreamed about.

The world is your oyster. Stop giving the pearl away.

Posts: 27 | Location: Glendale, CA | Registered: June 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
::enthusiastic applause::

Michael Kostroff
Creator of the "Audition Psych. 101" workshop (www.auditionpsych101.com)
Author of "Letters from Backstage"

Posts: 410 | Location: New York City | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
What YOU have to do is make a list of your favorite shows that you know your type would be on. Find out who cast those either by using Backstage's CALLSHEET or CastingAbout.com.

Now you're targeting and wisely spending your money on CD workshops.

The indie CDs are a waste unless you 100% know they're casting something relevant to you.

I'm with Truthteller on this. Know your shows, then make the play.

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
There is no need to have a long list of CDs to see at workshops. Watch TV...85% to 90% of ALL TV shows are cast by 3 to 4 casting directors. There are dozens of quote unquote "casting directors" who populate the workshops circuit and those are a waste of time. And I think it is a gross insult to an actor to "pay" to meet with a CD, but it is even worse, to pay to meet with their damn assistant.

Do your research. It will save you a lot of time and money.

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watch TV...85% to 90% of ALL TV shows are cast by 3 to 4 casting directors. .

Not even close to being true. You really sound like you're not in the know!

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no need to have a long list of CDs to see at workshops. Watch TV...85% to 90% of ALL TV shows are cast by 3 to 4 casting directors. There are dozens of quote unquote "casting directors" who populate the workshops circuit and those are a waste of time. And I think it is a gross insult to an actor to "pay" to meet with a CD, but it is even worse, to pay to meet with their damn assistant.

STRUGGLING ARTIST, what the hell are you talking about?

Posts: 354 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Damn, I wish there were only 3-4 casting directors. I know I've auditioned for way more than just 3-4.

Posts: 1415 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post