home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    The Actors Corner NYC- opinions/thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Actors Corner NYC- opinions/thoughts? Login/Join

posted
Has anyone taken any classes at The Actors Corner NYC? I recently bought a groupon for cold reading classes and want to know if you or anyone you know has had any experience with them? Good or bad? Thank you so much!

Posts: 1 | Location: NC/NYC | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Just checked their NYC website, the testimonials section doesn't indicate who these people are. Maybe it's just my New Yawk suspiciousness kicking in, but I always wonder about a place that posts tons of testimonials but no reference for you to reach out to see who these people are and whether it's truly a legitimate praise.

The site is kind of boring, but who knows? They may be the same people who post on Craigslist about looking for people to volunteer as part of a barter system where you work for their office and you get to see a 'class' where a CD shows up. How did you find out about them?

Posts: 365 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
This thread seemed to die pretty quickly a long time ago. Yet the information on these guys is still limited to this thread and two Yelp reviews.

Anyone know anything about them?

Posts: 976 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think their showcases work the best from what I hear...

New York Based Actress

Posts: 15 | Location: NY | Registered: April 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mediocrityblows:
I think their showcases work the best from what I hear...

I have heard some about their showcases. Anyway, I guess I'm just gonna take the class and then report back.

Posts: 976 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Hey, Syphus,

Did you ever check out the Actor's Corner?

Posts: 66 | Location: new england | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
So I haven't ever gotten around to taking the classes yet, other stuff has come up. However I have talked to them and they have been very nice and helpful, so there is that.

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I can speak first-hand.

I elected to take part in one of their seminars to see what they're about. Not a great experience.

1) They were late to their own seminar they were hosting. They proceeded to put their makeup on in the hallways while people came and went as they pleased. There was no structure or authority really. The type of talent that showed up to the seminar seemed to be hopefuls of people who had never acted before and decided the day-of to take up acting. The questions asked during the Q & A with the agent were actually quite embarrassing. People thought the talent agent is responsible for casting and then asked him what films he is casting - he is an agent! They asked me to pay via paypal ad when I arrived, they hadn't placed me on the list nor did they have any receipt of my payment on hand. I hear from an agent that their business is not viewed as being very professional. The only thing I can really say they did well was serve as good readers. They are kind. But you don't appear top-knotch when you participate in such an event. Oh, and they do barter with their students. I am not for or against that. They will offer a free class in exchange for doing research, transporting their animals, etc...

You are much better off sticking to places like AGR and One on One.

Posts: 102 | Location: NY | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Seems cheaper that Actors Connection, AGR, One on One. Just check that the people there are active. I experienced an AGR hostess/reader "groom" herself before she went in. She spent a good 15 minutes putting on makeup, dry shampooing her hair, blotting her face with some kind of paper. It was quite the production. If you know this place, the waiting area is tight. I think it's just another one of those places that CDs/Agents go. I'll probably add it to the list to watch.

Posts: 205 | Location: east coast | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeckyll625:
The type of talent that showed up to the seminar seemed to be hopefuls of people who had never acted before and decided the day-of to take up acting.

Maybe that'll make me seem better by comparison!

Its good that we finally got some first-hand experience in the thread. I was looking mainly for stuff from their actual classes, but what I'm getting is it seems that I'd be better off just taking classes at the SAG Conservatory.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Those places mentioned are just to be seen or meet with agents. There's really no value other than that. Definitely go to the conservatory to learn something useful other than parting with your money.

Posts: 205 | Location: east coast | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I actually like AGR. And I got a free intensive from them, so I can't complain.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Just trying to help.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd revive this thread again because their Agent / CD events are still the cheapest, I have not gone to one after what Jeckyll said. However their emails seem to say that they're "under new management" so I'm not sure what that means.