home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Doing B Movies such as Productions From "The Asylum"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doing B Movies such as Productions From "The Asylum" Login/Join

posted
Could doing B movies such as productions from "The Asylum" hurt your career? Has anyone who has appeared in an "Asylum" movie gone on to do something greater?

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Doing A Movies can hurt your career. Just ask Taylor Kitsch.

Posts: 991 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HollywoodRocketeer:
Could doing B movies such as productions from "The Asylum" hurt your career? Has anyone who has appeared in an "Asylum" movie gone on to do something greater?

More than likely Taylor Kitsch will go on to do light years more than anybody else on these boards. I doubt his career is in ruins.

FOr the OP, I dont even know if an Asylum movie would be considered B-List. Might hvae to go down to C

Posts: 342 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I've done 3 Asylum movies. Yes, in my case,I would have to say it damaged my career. I lost the respect of serious people in this town, people who have hired me in the past for much better things than Asylum movies. YMMV,though. My path is different than yours. Also be aware that they hire union actors who are willing to work off-card.

Posts: 68 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:

More than likely Taylor Kitsch will go on to do light years more than anybody else on these boards. I doubt his career is in ruins.

FOr the OP, I dont even know if an Asylum movie would be considered B-List. Might hvae to go down to C

I'd be surprised if he's around in two more years, I don't think you realize how bad John Carter was, and to follow that up with Battleship.

Anyway, back on the subject, if they are going to hire union actors who will work off-card, and that's a known fact, then yes, it will hurt your career.

Posts: 991 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
were u offered a role or?

----
just another actor..

Posts: 360 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I don't think it really matters if you had a very small part in it (and especially if you're starting out), I think it starts to matter if you make a habit of continuously doing them, especially as one of the leads

Posts: 271 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can we refrain from badmouthing an established actor, okay?

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: August 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new york:

This.

Whether or not you like their work, these guys are our brothers and sisters, and they pushed through insurmountable obstacles to get to where they are. I believe Taylor Kitsch was homeless at one point, and it's kind of incredible that he got to where he is. We should be supporting them more than anything.

Posts: 86 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon_K:
quote:
Originally posted by new york:

This.

Whether or not you like their work, these guys are our brothers and sisters, and they pushed through insurmountable obstacles to get to where they are. I believe Taylor Kitsch was homeless at one point, and it's kind of incredible that he got to where he is. We should be supporting them more than anything.

So what? Back in 2001 I lived in a park in Las Vegas. Lots of people have been homeless at some point in their lives. I don't know what bizarre ass world you live in where I need to like someone just because they're in the same profession as me. Do you sit there and go, "Oh, you badmouthed this other lawyer, you shouldn't do that because you're all just brothers." No, that's an incredibly dumb thing to say.

Anyway, I'm not gonna hijack the thread, but that is a fucking dumb statement.

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
So what? Back in 2001 I lived in a park in Las Vegas. Lots of people have been homeless at some point in their lives. I don't know what bizarre ass world you live in where I need to like someone just because they're in the same profession as me. Do you sit there and go, "Oh, you badmouthed this other lawyer, you shouldn't do that because you're all just brothers." No, that's an incredibly dumb thing to say.

Anyway, I'm not gonna hijack the thread, but that is a fucking dumb statement.

No need to curse at me. I wasn't attacking you.

This industry already does a good enough job of cutting our throats and bruising our self esteem. I just don't see what the need is to add to that.

Posts: 86 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:

I'd be surprised if he's around in two more years, I don't think you realize how bad John Carter was, and to follow that up with Battleship.
Anyway, back on the subject, if they are going to hire union actors who will work off-card, and that's a known fact, then yes, it will hurt your career.

See, this is both(sadly) truthful, due to the way the industry works(by the way, can we put out a missing person's report on Josh Hartnett? remember him?) and a little snarky. Let's be honest: most of the people who sit up on these boards will NEVER see a career even close to what Taylor Kitsch is experiencing right now. It's real easy to sit back and opine about someone else's career. Not so much easy to create it for yourself(which is what he, and so many of us have done).

Everyone gets out the slings and arrows on a fail, but, John Carter was bad all around. Most of that(and by most, I mean 99.9999999%) of that that HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTOR, BUT WITH THE PRODUCTION IN TOTALITY. HE HAD NO CONTROL OVER THAT. That includes the direction he got(bad), and so forth. So, before anyone opens a mouth to talk shit about another actor's career, go ahead and post up YOUR fucking box office numbers(if you have any to post).
Smiler

Posts: 68 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post