home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Is 26 years old too old to go to Drama school/get into acting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Is 26 years old too old to go to Drama school/get into acting? Login/Join
 
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I can give you one answer to that: NO
 
Posts: 36 | Location: Worldwide | Registered: July 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Not that he's an Oscar winner or anything, but Gerard Butler didn't really get into acting until he was 25 or 26. His Wikipedia page says he did some theater in high school, but a GQ feature I read on him a while back made it seem like he really didn't start pursuing the career or even seriously training until his mid 20s.
 
Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 64 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: March 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
The answer of course is that there are no rules and if you want to try this, you should try it.

That being said, a lot of these late-bloomer stories aren't quite as encouraging as they're meant to be for those of us who can't get industry folk to remember our names for more than five minutes. The Kate Walsh headline is about success after 35, but in the article it mentions she had a recurring role on Drew Carey's show at 30. She then tested for 8 or 9 pilots. That sounds absolutely amazing to me, and one assumes for her to reach that point, she was signed with an agent and had good relationships with several casting offices. And she had the money to go to Anguilla when that all went away Smiler She looks back with misery and regret on something I would kill to have.

People like to point to Jon Hamm's "late" success as Don Draper, but the man has a whole string of IMDb credits before Mad Men. Eric Stonestreet was about to go back home when he got Modern Family; he has great credits going back to '99 before that, including a 13-episode arc on CSI.

I don't want this to turn into the "who has the worst life" brownie scene from Notting Hill or anything, but I guess it just bothers me when people make it seem like these actors were failing, but they had the sort of thing I'm dying to make happen for myself.
 
Posts: 174 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fictionalsleep:
The answer of course is that there are no rules and if you want to try this, you should try it.

That being said, a lot of these late-bloomer stories aren't quite as encouraging as they're meant to be for those of us who can't get industry folk to remember our names for more than five minutes. The Kate Walsh headline is about success after 35, but in the article it mentions she had a recurring role on Drew Carey's show at 30. She then tested for 8 or 9 pilots. That sounds absolutely amazing to me, and one assumes for her to reach that point, she was signed with an agent and had good relationships with several casting offices. And she had the money to go to Anguilla when that all went away Smiler She looks back with misery and regret on something I would kill to have.

People like to point to Jon Hamm's "late" success as Don Draper, but the man has a whole string of IMDb credits before Mad Men. Eric Stonestreet was about to go back home when he got Modern Family; he has great credits going back to '99 before that, including a 13-episode arc on CSI.

I don't want this to turn into the "who has the worst life" brownie scene from Notting Hill or anything, but I guess it just bothers me when people make it seem like these actors were failing, but they had the sort of thing I'm dying to make happen for myself.


I haven't been on here for a little while now. I started amateur training and I'm really enjoying it. I was extremely nervous before the first live show we performed in front of about 50 people haha. When I think how the professionals do it in front of a packed theatre of thousands of attendants, you soon realise that 50 people in a mere shadow in comparison.

Anyway, I really want to try audition for drama school. I am not sure how many auditions I can do though until I get fed up. I mean, if I fail the first audition, it means waiting another year until the next try. This is the only issue I have with drama schools in the UK. I don't think there are enough alternatives to drama school.

How is everyone else getting along with their training/acting careers? Any of you had success so far? Be it small or large?
 
Posts: 19 | Location: U.K | Registered: October 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Performing in front of 50 people whose faces you may see, can sometimes be more nerve-wracking than a bigger crowd.
 
Posts: 169 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Compare and despair.
 
Posts: 508 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Newbie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_UK:
I am curious, because I would love to get into acting, but I would need to go to drama school to get a chance at professional acting.

I see all these young actors (25 and under) who are doing really well, featuring in movies and in big t.v. series and I wonder if I'm too old now.

What do you think?

You're never too old to join drama school.
I'm thinking about applying to a course around that age but want to get as much experience and confidence as I can before I do.
 
Posts: 3 | Location: london | Registered: March 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actressboo:
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_UK:
I am curious, because I would love to get into acting, but I would need to go to drama school to get a chance at professional acting.

I see all these young actors (25 and under) who are doing really well, featuring in movies and in big t.v. series and I wonder if I'm too old now.

What do you think?

You're never too old to join drama school.
I'm thinking about applying to a course around that age but want to get as much experience and confidence as I can before I do.


I see you are from London. How is your training coming along? Is it easy to get training (apart from Drama Schools) in London? I live about 2 hours from London and making the trip there every week for training would be expensive, which I cannot afford, so I need to get training where I am located. Amateur drama is good enough, though I'm wondering if there's any other way to get good acting training.
 
Posts: 19 | Location: U.K | Registered: October 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yonie:
Performing in front of 50 people whose faces you may see, can sometimes be more nerve-wracking than a bigger crowd.


How congested is Los Angeles with aspiring actors? I've always been curious how aspiring actors survive in L.A before getting disheartened due to the sheer amount of competition.

I mean, everyone want to be a star in L.A, don't they? I don't want to be famous, but I'd like to earn money from acting. It seems in L.A. there are a lot of wannabes who want quick fame like the kardashians etc.

Is that how it is there?
 
Posts: 19 | Location: U.K | Registered: October 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
In LA, EVERYBODY is an actor! Smiler But you can't worry about that or you will go crazy. There may be 200,000 people calling themselves actors, but there is only one you.
 
Posts: 231 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Is 26 years old too old to go to Drama school/get into acting?

© 2013 Back Stage. All rights reserved.