home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Groundlings or UCB?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Groundlings or UCB? Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I know UCB has a lot of clout and for some is considered "more current," but I just want to say that I have has A LOT of doors open for me from being in The Groundlings. I'm intermediate right now. Every commercial agent I talk to raves to about Groundlings, and having that on my résumé is for sure a factor for them calling me in. Not to mention, just this morning I had an audition for a stand in role. The producer looked over my résumé and knew one of my teachers from Groundlings. Now she wants to call me in for an actual part on a comedy web series she will be producing in January. It's a small world. Also, and I hope no one takes this the wrong way... But... I think Groundlings may be more difficult/competitive than UCB. Again, I can't speak from personal experience, but I will say in my basic class at Groundlings, there was a student who was about to go into level four at UCB, and they failed Basic pretty badly. Maybe it has to do with how different they are, and maybe some flourish at one and not the other. All I know is being in Groudlings is one of the best decisions I've made so far career wise. Good luck!

Posts: 35 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
For a serious actors wanting to do film, I think improv is a waste of time. I know, I know, agents say they like seeing that on a resume. But try doing improve on a film or episodic set and you'll be laughed off the sound stage or worse yet be fired. It's good for commercials and as a genre by itself but right now it's just a trend that all the aspiring sheep are flocking too. Improv is about performance, film acting is about behavior.

Posts: 35 | Location: Redondo Beach | Registered: November 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skybyrd:
For a serious actor want to do film, in prov is a waste of time. I know, I know, agents say they like seeing that on a resume. But try doing improve on a film or episodic set and you'll be laughed off the sound stage or worse yet be fired. I's goo for commercials and as a genre by itself but right now it's just a trend that all the aspiring sheep are flocking too.

50 reasons to prove that you are completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.totalfilm.com/featu...rovised-movie-scenes

Posts: 917 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a serious actor want to do film, in prov is a waste of time. I know, I know, agents say they like seeing that on a resume. But try doing improve on a film or episodic set and you'll be laughed off the sound stage or worse yet be fired. I's goo for commercials and as a genre by itself but right now it's just a trend that all the aspiring sheep are flocking too.

I love these types of people that feel the need to register just to post this type of stuff!

Posts: 36 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think anyone studying at UCB or Groundlings thinks they're going to get cast in a Scorsese film and start spouting off whatever they want once the cameras roll. There is a multitude of benefits to be derived from improv training for pretty much any type of actor.

Posts: 168 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:

It just doesn't get more ignorant than this.

Skybyrd, what planet are you from?

Posts: 233 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, when you book the job or even audition, you have to respect the script and be word for word as much as possible, BUT there is nothing wrong with having an improvised line at the end before they yell cut. Hell, many times that ends up on film and becomes a MEMORABLE catch phrase ie. Bill Paxton's "Game over man!" in "Aliens."

Improvising a button has helped me in booking co-stars with just one line because I added more life to it without trying to be the hero of the show.

Or during the audition, I might come in with my choices and they might have me do it again their way, improv has saved my ass in being able to let go and come up with new ones on the spot.

Even on set, when I get multiple takes and don't necessarily have the other actor opposite me (they're a diva and go to their trailer), improv can help me in delivering varied takes so the editor can make me interesting.

Posts: 1657 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Yeah you guys. Amy Poehler, Aubry Plaza, Tina Fey, Kristin Wiig, Will Ferrel, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Kaitlin Olson, Lisa Kudrow, Mindy Sterling, Conan O'Brien, Will Forte, J.J. Abrams, Joan Rivers, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Jane Lynch, Steve Carell, Any Sedaris, Aziz Ansari, Fred Armisen, and countless others were really just wasting their time when they studied improv! I mean sheesh.

And people like Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, and even Amy Poelher only go to shows at UCB to laugh at this "trend" that all the aspiring "sheep" are flocking to.

Same for Hello Giggles (Zooey Deschanel's company)... They ONLY produce comedy shows at UCB for shits and giggles over how much a waste of time improv is.

Posts: 35 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Also... Skybyrd, How is being a flight attendant working out for you?

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WrightAt:
Also... Skybyrd, How is being a flight attendant working out for you?

Afraid not genius. Must be some other babe you tried to pick up on your last flight to Palmdale. And just to think, you're on your second level of imrov. LOL.

Posts: 35 | Location: Redondo Beach | Registered: November 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
ouch, she got you good on that one WrightAT.

Posts: 53 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
quote:

50 reasons to prove that you are completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.

Really? Name the 50 please.

http://www.totalfilm.com/featu...rovised-movie-scenes

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WrightAt:
Yeah you guys. Amy Poehler, Aubry Plaza, Tina Fey, Kristin Wiig, Will Ferrel, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Kaitlin Olson, Lisa Kudrow, Mindy Sterling, Conan O'Brien, Will Forte, J.J. Abrams, Joan Rivers, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Jane Lynch, Steve Carell, Any Sedaris, Aziz Ansari, Fred Armisen, and countless others were really just wasting their time when they studied improv! I mean sheesh.

And people like Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, and even Amy Poelher only go to shows at UCB to laugh at this "trend" that all the aspiring "sheep" are flocking to.

Same for Hello Giggles (Zooey Deschanel's company)... They ONLY produce comedy shows at UCB for shits and giggles over how much a waste of time improv is.

They're all comedians, not real film actors. I said FILM ACTING! Try, Denzel, Morgan Freeman, Michael Cain, Jack Nicholson, Ethan Hawk, Edward Norton, Eastwood, Ed Harris. Get real WrightAt.

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 108:
quote:

It just doesn't get more ignorant than this.

Skybyrd, what planet are you from?

Hey look boys, instead of attacking me for my opinion, think about what I've said. Film Acting. Behavior, feelings and emotion as opposed to performances. Please be kind enough to post your imdb credits and let's see the big improv payoff for both you and WrightAT.

posted Hide Post
Improv applied to acting is NOT about performances! The biggest misconception about improv is that it's about performances, being the funniest person, SNL, etc.

If improv wasn't so important then why the fuck did some of acting's greatest teachers like Sanford Meisner, Stella Adler, Lee Strasberg, and Michael Chekhov all incorporate improv in their teachings?

All of the top acting programs like NYU Tisch, Yale, RADA, LAMBDA, Juilliard, to name of few teach improv. Once again, if improv is not important, then why the fuck do they teach it? Why is Viola Spolin's book pretty much a universally used textbook in conservatories and college programs?

Posts: 1657 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post