home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Lesly Kahn Studio
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lesly Kahn Studio Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
I only did the Comedy Intensive so I can't speak for the other classes.

In the comedy intensive:
-No camera
-No cold reading
-No audition style

The Comedy class is 3 days-either Wednesday or Saturday depending on where you get placed, 10AM-4:30PM.

You are expected to come having the scene prepared even on the first day which you'll get the sides a few days before.

The classes content-wise consist of lectures on finding your type, script analysis, and patterns/jokes/comedic devices. You put up the assigned scene a few times to get critiques.

In the comedy intensive, you are expected to hold rehearsals, trying to figure out the jokes, patterns, etc.

For the next class and last, you put up different prepared scenes and get critiqued. The teacher will also present a way of doing the scene-normally something the students never thought of.

If you google search, Lesly Kahn, you'll find a lot of people who have gone through her school and actually work.

I've gone through most of the "Comedy Guru Teachers" and Lesly Kahn's school is the best and most comprehensive. Also, from a superficial standpoint, her name resonates most with CDs and Agents as far as comedy training goes.

How much is Lesly's Comedy Intensive? I just hear people say that it's expensive on the forum, but I couldn't find the price on her website.

Posts: 32 | Location: here and there | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$600 for 3 all day classes.

Posts: 1905 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Truth!

Posts: 32 | Location: here and there | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I've studied with Annie Grindlay and at Lesly Kahn... both intensives, both at on-going. Though expensive, I echo that LK is stronger. Love Annie, but while she incorporates some of the elements of reversals, LK Studio hammers it in. I studied there about 8 months, and I feel like I "got it." Definitely a technique to build on any technique you already have... it's more of a finishing school, I'd say. Take what you know about acting (whatever method you use to become a character), and use her technicals to shape it and stand out. Not just comedy, either- drama/film/etc. Weekly assignments are projects currently casting, so that if you get called in, you will be ahead of the gang! Cannot recommend her studio enough.

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
I've also studied with both Annie and Lesly, both for about a year of ongoings each, and I preferred Annie, but it's really an apples/oranges thing, because what works for some really doesn't work for others.

Lesly's method (both her actual acting method and the way she teaches that method) is REALLY technical, and when I started there, my biggest hurdle in acting was being too "in my head" (too intellectual an approach to acting, really indicative, etc). Her attempts at solving this included telling me repeatedly that I was too in-my-head, telling me that I needed to access my right-brain more, and making me wear a piece of scotch tape on my forehead when I was doing scenes (so that I could feel when I was scrunching my forehead and indicating), all of which only made me more hyper self-aware, which just made the problem worse.

Annie's imagination-based and story-focused approach allowed me to still use my brain, but for the purposes of leaving it for another reality, which really helped me get more present in the moment.

If you're lacking in script analysis, comedic formula, and acting business savvy, then Lesly is freaking awesome.

If you need to work on living and breathing the scene, Annie's method is stronger.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I know I'm way late to the party, but I thought this thread was interesting and I wanted to chime in. Smiler

I've been studying at the Kahn since July of this year, and I agree with what TruthTeller, Thrill Seeker and fashiondiva said. I've had the pleasure of working with both Saxon and Annie while they were both at Margie Haber, and I followed Annie when she opened her own place. I love her madly, but I definitely think that the Kahn is a stronger school, especially for comedy. As a matter of fact, both Saxon and Annie told me that since I had some natural talent for comedy, I should check out Lesly's school. They are so specific with the technical aspects, and the script analysis is always so helpful - as are the rehearsals! At this school, you are encouraged to work with your classmates on the scripts for the upcoming classes, and it makes a much bigger difference than only meeting once a week. HUGE difference. You also have the benefit of working with a teacher and a TA in each level (intensive, clinic, on-going)

I worked with Kristi for intensive and clinic (and triage), and then moved to Tyler's class for on-going. But my classmate there don't really seem to like rehearsing, so I'm switching again. I knew after triage that I didn't really want to work with Lesly herself - I thought she might be too much at times, and like TruthTeller said, her class is rather large, so I didn't think I'd get as much attention as I wanted.

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I recently attended a "triage" that Lesly herself hosted. I was not impressed with her at all. She was loud, rambling and highly critical. I can do without someone you insists on using curse words in every sentence. She told one of the students in the room she thought they needed "professional help". She kept pressing him saying "Are you depressed? Is there something bothering you? I know it is none of my business, but I think you need help." Now, that was terribly out of line and unprofessional. If she really felt compelled to comment on someone's mental health that she had never even met, then she should have done it one-on-one. She tore a girl apart because she wasn't dressed appropriately. OK, but it was a Saturday morning and we are in class for Crissakes..I don't know. She munched on chips endlessly and let her dog run all over the room. It was over 4 hours that should have lasted 2 hours. Some acting teachers just ramble to hear themselves talk, and in a world where everyone has such short attention spans, make your critiques concise and move on. But overall, I really don't know why people rave about her. If I were charging her prices, I would conduct myself more professionally.

Posts: 323 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been in Lesly's class, but I've heard the same things STRUGGLING ARTIST mentions from others. I've heard she's very critical about your performance and your looks. I 've heard she told a plus size actress that she needed to lose weight and another needed a nose job. I have debated on taking a class with her because of the things I've heard, but it seems the positives out weigh the negatives on this thread.

Posts: 16 | Location: La La Land | Registered: January 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's only really an uber bitch during the triage. Yes, she can yell and scream during her regular classes, but not like the triages.

Posts: 1905 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Could someone explain what Leslie's "non-technique" is? I mean it seems pretty self explanatory just would like some insight from anyone who has studied with her.

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LawrenceHughes:
Could someone explain what Leslie's "non-technique" is? I mean it seems pretty self explanatory just would like some insight from anyone who has studied with her.

The "Non-Method" is a simplified yet effective way of breaking your scene down by focusing mostly on identifying subtext or what Lesly calls "thoughts" behind what you're saying based on what is going on in the scene, the relationship, and what is said before your lines (or if you have the first line creating a thought behind it).

For example, take the line "I hate you" based on what Person A says (The parenthesis represent the "thoughts"):

A: I killed your mom.

B: (I want to kill you) I hate you.

V.S.

A: I pranked you this time with that fake rat!

B: (Oh my best friend and your practical jokes!) I hate you

Normally, when you first get a script or sides, you cover up your line and look at the other person's line before and write in the margin before your line the thought or opinion that comes to mind from reading the other person's line before yours. Continue this line by line.

Ideally, if you have multiple days before an audition or performance, you might have different thoughts each day so you write those down too, preferably in different colors.

For your auditions where the reader is not acting with you, these "thoughts" become your choices.

For a performance with another actor, you are NOT to memorize the thoughts you came up with in your prep but you are to listen to what the other actor is saying so you can have "in the moment" thoughts/opinions behind your lines.

The main benefit of this way of working during your prep is you're better able to know your lines because you have something behind them.

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Ahhh ok I see. A little different than what I thought. I wish they allowed audits I would like to see this in action.

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LawrenceHughes:
Ahhh ok I see. A little different than what I thought. I wish they allowed audits I would like to see this in action.

What did you think it was?

It's called "Non-Method" because if you were to do "Method" it'd take you a long time to prepare. The "Non-Method" is probably one of the more effective "shortcuts" for those times when you have very little time to prepare.

Even if you were to audit, you wouldn't see that much in action because the prep work is normally to be done in advance before class. It's not a Margie Haber/Annie Grindlay type school where you do the scene and then do the script analysis and then again.

What's funny is I was doing script analysis a similar way before I studied at Lesly's school.