home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    People who sell IMDb credits on a major production
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who sell IMDb credits on a major production Login/Join

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
If a person's name is listed as "uncredited" it usually means they were Background or doing Extra work. They are still checked off by Production Company/Office to verify to IMDB that indeed this person was part of the production, even as a BG person.

Posts: 331 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm missing this, but I'm not coming across anything like this. And anyone who "pays" for anything like this, well there is a saying, there's a sucker born every minute...right now there's a dangerous precedent being set for 'companies' "choosing" you to pay anywhere from $30 to $80 dollars a month to get guaranteed background work. Background work, not even real acting gigs with actual lines or U-5's! Just to guarantee you will work several days a week, just pay a fee and you will be part of their cattle roster.

And so far, a couple have been reported and shut down. But some so-called actors, desperate for work, will PAY in order to do BG work, then try to make it seem that they are in some kind of high demand for their "work".

All they do is set a bad precedent. The pay for BG work isn't high to begin with. Why set the bar lower by doing this, paying for it, I don't know.

quote:
Originally posted by KLT007:
I keep seeing more and more people selling IMDb credit. Some of them on major feature hollywood films. The writer and director of She Wants Me is on the website Fiverr selling IMDb credits. Production Assistant, production consultant, acting parts, or even executive producer credits.

Just don't understand how that is possible. I can see doing it for an indie film no one is going to see but for a major film with stars like Charlie Sheen and Hilary Duff I just don't see how that is legal or allowed.

If you buy acting credits, people can just watch the film and see your not in it, what do you do then ask them to take the credit off lol. People can see you not an executive producer. I was thinking of paying for a production assistant credit to get my foot in the door so I can have a day job while pursuing an acting career instead of waiting tables.

Just wanted to get people thoughts. Also another question, only been acting in indie films and theater so far while taking classes. No IMDb credit yet. When you do get a credit, do I need a IMDBpro account? I had a trial but it expired, how do I claim my page under my own account?

Thanks everyone!!

Posts: 331 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CathyS.:
This IS legal and the IMDB does not say shit because it is done ALL THE TIME through INDIEGOGO and KICKSTARTER (via "donations" and "campaign perks" - they've LEGALLY allowed it for YEARS and the IMDB does NOT care because many of the films are INDEPENDENT FILM.
Also the way most of them are raising the money to fund the actual film.
There is NOTHING ILLEGAL about it.
Do any of you have ANY clue whatsoever of how much it takes to actually have a film made AND distribution finances?
Sure doesn't seem so.
If not - go research and try to make just a short film of 10 minutes - you'll see what I mean. Let alone FILM FESTIVAL SUBMISSION costs.

Buying IMDB credits is a personal, LEGAL, choice which helps build up your IMDB RESUME for the actor/actress for future jobs.

If you knew anything about the IMDB, you'd also know about their PAID SERVICE - IMDB PRO - which allows actors/actress and anyone else to pay 16 dollars a MONTH to have a film/acting resume. (WHICH MEANS: One hand washes the other. - They don't care who you add as long as they, themselves - the IMDB PRO SERVICE - is making money every month from these pages - Get it now?)
As far as my film career goes, building up my page has helped ME get actual acting gigs and my fellow INDEPENDENT FILMMAKERS/DIRECTORS - Greatly - because they were able to raise the money offering "PERKS" on IndieGogo and Kickstarter and fund the entire film by doing so.

If you're going to bitch about it - try earning the credit the old fashioned way. Do the job and submit the info to the IMDB. Period.

There are HUNDREDS who do it - LEGALLY. Go ask the IMDB yourself if you don't believe me.

Don't belittle someone because they asked to fund a film to get on NETFLIX (which isn't free by the way) is ridiculous - what are you jealous because you didn't think of the idea before everyone else did?

If you don't like their way of raising the money to make their films - Go see how easy it is to find investors yourself the next time you want to make a film.

P.S. I've dealt with Rob on FIVEr too - yes, he's an asshole but - when I asked what the IMDB URL link was to his film - he told me he was raising money for his NEXT project. I see nothing wrong with that and he's definitely not the only one out there doing it.
Go ask JAMES FRANCO - who just successfully funded a film on INDIEGOGO a month ago - OFFERING IMDB CREDITS within the campaign perks.

Tell me what the difference between offering an IMDB CREDIT for a "campaign donation" for the film that's already been made - and doing it on Fiver? Nothing. It's ALL LEGAL.

Do you even know what it costs to get ANY film onto DVD or onto NETFLIX or AMAZONPrime?
Probably not.

Some of us don't have WEALTHY, friendly investors with hundreds of thousands to give away for a big film. So we do our best to make LITTLE films to keep our dreams alive.

In the FILM INDUSTRY, it's a cutthroat world - do what you have to do - LEGALLY, to get it done.

CathyS.

This toootally isn't the shadiest first post I've ever seen on this board...

But, hey. I'm definitely gonna buy my own credit and try to come up with an answer when a CD asks my agent why I never showed up in a film that I have 'credit' for. Legal? Ethical? Who cares, right?

P.S. You need to learn how Kickstarter and IndieGoGo actually work. You also need to know how crowdfunding works -- a lot of people might be doing it, but it's coming under legal scrutiny. So, seriously, careful.

Posts: 57 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Also there is a difference between donating to Kickstarter for a role or producers credit on an indie film and paying 20 bucks to get producing credit on a major Hollywood film. Charlie Sheen is one of the producers. He probably invested a couple hundred thousand or more and for a couple bucks I can get the same producers credit on the same film. That has to be illegal.

KLT007

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KLT007:
Also there is a difference between donating to Kickstarter for a role or producers credit on an indie film and paying 20 bucks to get producing credit on a major Hollywood film. Charlie Sheen is one of the producers. He probably invested a couple hundred thousand or more and for a couple bucks I can get the same producers credit on the same film. That has to be illegal.

There is a huge difference. I'm not a fan of crowdfunding, but there's a huge, huge difference. Agreed.

Posts: 57 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Rob (the writer) responded to a message I sent him and he said she owns the rights to the film (how when theres major producers including Charlie Sheen) and since he owns the rights he can add any credits he wants lol. Is that true? That would be hurting the other poducers investment and breaking the law obviously.

KLT007

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Lol. Breaking the law? No. I'm not sure what law he would be breaking unless he was illegally selling shares of the film. But even now, the rules about how you can solicit investors are changing. Is it good form on a big project? No. On a small
crowd funded project where the expectation is that small donors get producer credits...yeah, I think that's ok. And I'm pretty sure Charlie sheen doesn't give a f about people diluting his producer cred. He cares about his points on the back end. In fact, it's the film that benefits from using his name as a producer, not really the other way around.

Posts: 200 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maemidwest:
Lol. Breaking the law? No. I'm not sure what law he would be breaking unless he was illegally selling shares of the film.

Are you a lawyer? I am sure there are laws against false representation.

Regardless of whether its even illegal or not, it is most definitely a breach of the SAG contract, and most likely as well the DGA, IATSE, and pretty much all the other union contracts that one may sign.

Posts: 741 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you a lawyer?

No, but I'm a producer who deals with legal and contractual issues quite a bit, and I understand the difference between selling securities and asking for donations...

I suppose if the production had a contract with Charlie saying that they wouldn't give out credits in this manner, Charlie could sue them for breach of contract. That's the only thing I can think of.

But let's be real...what if Charlie didn't put money in...and didn't take care of any producer duties. Let's say he got the credit because, well, he's Charlie Sheen, and he demanded it as part of his contract.

Is that more unethical than the little guy paying for a credit?

Shades of gray, people.

Mae

Posts: 200 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
If this guy was saying pay me to actually come WORK on set as a PA or a producer, then he would surely be breaking the law.

Mae

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
One more note - this is also the reason that the PGA has it's new seal of approval thingie...so that the real producers can be discerned from the ones who are credit-only.

Mae

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maemidwest:
quote:
Are you a lawyer?

No, but I'm a producer who deals with legal and contractual issues quite a bit, and I understand the difference between selling securities and asking for donations...

I suppose if the production had a contract with Charlie saying that they wouldn't give out credits in this manner, Charlie could sue them for breach of contract. That's the only thing I can think of.

But let's be real...what if Charlie didn't put money in...and didn't take care of any producer duties. Let's say he got the credit because, well, he's Charlie Sheen, and he demanded it as part of his contract.

Is that more unethical than the little guy paying for a credit?

Shades of gray, people.

Mae

Oh that's not where the illegality of this comes from. First, we will ignore the fact that giving someone an actor credit who did not act in the film and just paid their way in it, is most certainly breaking the SAG Agreement. Which therefore makes it a breach of contract, which t oerefore is illegal. But, misrepresentation is in fact a thing

Also, I'm not one for making assumptions as to what Charlie Sheen may or may not have done.

Posts: 741 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Syphus, I think you're greatly confused about what types of things fall under SAG's jurisdiction. Which SAG agreement is being broken, exactly? I could be wrong, but unless some service is being provided by the person paying for the credit, how could SAG intervene?

And I don't give a f$ck about Charlie Sheen. I was trying to prove a point.

Gah. This is why producers hate actors. And I say that as an actor!

Mae

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Because you are adding fake credits on a major film. This isn't an indie film. When you say you are a producer, a real producer with major films on your resume or an indie film producer?

KLT007