home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Who here makes their own work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here makes their own work? Login/Join

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bez:
I create my own content. I wrote, produced, and starred in a 23 minute stoner comedy "pilot" with tons of CGI dinosaurs. You can see the minute long trailer here: http://vimeo.com/88321386

*edit

realized I posted the thread above....d'oh.

Poster has less than 30 post and is on here doing shameless promotion. I think there's another section for this type of thing. Regardless I wont be looking

Posts: 293 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh come on Jack. Bez used to post on here more frequently and is a legit guy. Most of his past posts have disappeared from time.

Posts: 1474 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I watched it and was impressed, the main reason I didn't want make my own work is because almost all that I see on Facebook of people doing their own stuff is complete trash. This is great, good angles, audio, story, acting. Pretty good. What camera did you use Bez?

Posts: 96 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
the main reason I didn't want make my own work is because almost all that I see on Facebook of people doing their own stuff is complete trash.

What's your excuse for not making your stuff great?

Posts: 1474 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Well back then it was just a couple friends and a camera, but I was serious about making some great stuff..didn't come out to well. I think I know what happened. Fast forward a couple years, I feel I can't do it by myself and haven't networked enough to feel completed solid the work I will make will be great. I tried it before with friends and it came out looking like trash. There is YouTube footage that I won't share..unless asked. I want to have good actors, writers, people with post skills, and a great cameraman. I know I will have to wear many hats myself, so I just want to be ready. I didn't have the confidence in making my own work because I failed the first time. What will be different this time? Better mindset, hopefully better people, learning from my mistakes, more money in my bank account. I hope it turns out different.

Posts: 96 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
Oh come on Jack. Bez used to post on here more frequently and is a legit guy. Most of his past posts have disappeared from time.

Well that much I didnt know. But it still seemed out of place, considering there's a topic area on the Message boards titled "Share, Promote your Work" for that type of post

Posts: 293 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah...Bez has been around for quite some time.

Posts: 194 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
I watched it and was impressed, the main reason I didn't want make my own work is because almost all that I see on Facebook of people doing their own stuff is complete trash. This is great, good angles, audio, story, acting. Pretty good. What camera did you use Bez?

Shot it on a Canon t3i. Nothing too fancy...but my DP is great.

Posts: 32 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
I create my own content. I wrote, produced, and starred in a 23 minute stoner comedy "pilot" with tons of CGI dinosaurs. You can see the minute long trailer here: http://vimeo.com/88321386

*edit

realized I posted the thread above....d'oh.

Poster has less than 30 post and is on here doing shameless promotion. I think there's another section for this type of thing. Regardless I wont be looking

I've been on the board for a while...strangely not sure why I have so few posts...I've definitely posted much more than this.

Posts: 32 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:

Well that much I didnt know. But it still seemed out of place, considering there's a topic area on the Message boards titled "Share, Promote your Work" for that type of post

Apparently you didn't read the thread title "Who here makes their own work?". I'm not trying to be a jerk...so forgive me but I'm not a shlub..I've been here a while.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Trust me, Bez, you're not the one who's being a jerk.

Posts: 106 | Location: New York | Registered: August 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I've been writing something for the past few months that I really want to make I just don't know about raising the money. I've been saving up and would put down some of my own cash unfortunately, I don't have much expendable income. What do writers usually do for the budget?

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pom Blossom:
I've been writing something for the past few months that I really want to make I just don't know about raising the money. I've been saving up and would put down some of my own cash unfortunately, I don't have much expendable income. What do writers usually do for the budget?

POM,
Crowd funding can work...but honestly...its a crap shoot unless you've already done some impressive things...like got a webseries with a fan base or already have access to make high quality vids. Becausee most of those need a great jumpstart video to attract interest.

I've been lucky to keep in contact with directors, dps, sound etc.... from great projects I've done in the past and have gained interest in collaboration.

Make sure whatever you've written is awesome...make a great elevator pitch...and take it to people you've worked with in the past. I've contacted super talented filmmakers from youtube even and worked with them....if you really digs someone work...let them know and you can always ask if they do collaborations.

Collaborating can reduce costs significantly.

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pom Blossom:

POM,
Crowd funding can work...but honestly...its a crap shoot unless you've already done some impressive things...like got a webseries with a fan base or already have access to make high quality vids. Becausee most of those need a great jumpstart video to attract interest.

I've been lucky to keep in contact with directors, dps, sound etc.... from great projects I've done in the past and have gained interest in collaboration.

Make sure whatever you've written is awesome...make a great elevator pitch...and take it to people you've worked with in the past. I've contacted super talented filmmakers from youtube even and worked with them....if you really digs someone work...let them know and you can always ask if they do collaborations.

Collaborating can reduce costs significantly.

Great ideas. I guess I better extend out my collab branch to more people.

Posts: 52 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
If you're going to make your own work, as echoed by others here, THE most important thing by far is:

WRITING.

Especially with low to no budgets, it is more important than acting or production values (though those are still essential) - but it is strong writing that elevates.

As actors, we've probably all experienced that: there's only so much we can do with bad writing. We are only as good as the script.

If you're going to make your own work at a low budget, it's about your voice and the characters you can create, which is as much if not more about your strengths as a writer than an actor.

Posts: 94 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post