home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Who here makes their own work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here makes their own work? Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heath Ledger:
I'm happy just joined backstage today, and found this forum... Okay, so i love this thread. I actually just finished writing my frist script, have sent it around to a few people. All love it, and want me to get it made. But my questions and worries come from the fact.. i know hardly ANYTHING about actually making a movie. How do i find a hot director? The right producers? Do i produce it myself? Also, i took the backwards route and joined sag right away, does my film have to be sag? I know i could go ficore and make it non union.. i guess i'm wondering, would it be easier to make a sag or non union indy film?

Suggestion: take some business classes. Learn about pitching a product and about getting investments to create that product. You use the exact same principles in producing a film, if you want to do it properly. The product, in this case, is your film. That's what you need to view it as when you are trying to market it to directors -- a creative product that they would significantly contribute to. Too many films aren't approached the way they are supposed to be, with a proper business structure, and so money falls through, people get angry, and it's just not a good place to be.

TL;DR, take some business classes at a local community college. iTunes University has quite a few of these classes for free (accounting, marketing, management, product, etc.), so take advantage of your spare time and learn everything you need to know in order to properly pitch, produce, and market your film and get it seen. This also applies to web projects, shorts, etc.

Posts: 45 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heath Ledger:
@ Cannsage proveeee it Wink

Smiler not the best, but enough to get by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eprx_fS28

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
Originally posted by gyokoren:
So we are going to play the "I never heard of them so they don't count" game? Where have you been? You are right that people usually make most of their money off of one area, but they do all three. Probably 3/4 of the producers for network sitcoms are also writers and most of them at least have a history of acting.

Here are a few more famous triple threats you may have heard of: Woody Allen, Billy Bob Thornton, Spike Lee, Tina Fey, Amy Poeler, Kevin Smith, Tyler Perry ...

Do you mind returning the favor by giving us an extensive list of actors whose names we would recognize that got their starts at these cd workshops you are always shilling for?

WHere have I been? None of those people Mae named are household names. They're not even household names to industry people. Thats like saying I should know a triple threat athlete, because he played minor leauge baseball, college football, and was on his high school rugby team. Nice accomplishments, but that don't make him Bo Jackson.

You missed the point I made, abeit badly. My point was that most of the people on these boards didnt not venture off to NYC or LA to "make their own work", they wanted to be working actors. They just turned to the creation side of it once they got humbled a bit on how hard it is to secure notable credits, and the even more impossible task of securing credits that can pay bills, i.e guest star/recurring roles.

Once upon a time , the stereotype was those people became acting teachers b/c they couldnt make a living, now they've become the "make your own work" crowd. Which is fine, but folks need to stop acting like thats what they came to the town for.

Re: you're list, I'll give you Kevin Smith and Tina Fey to a certain degree,but they're the excpetion of the exception. As far as Tyler Perry , Woody Allen & Spike Lee, please. How much acting work do they actually do outside of their own films.

And there's Billy Bob Thornton, yet another who makes the bulk of of income/fortune off of acting and Im glad that he does b/c he's entertaining. But other than SLing Blade, he has directed nothing of note. The man is an ACTOR. People dont know him as anything else.

Re:well known actors who got their starts from WOrkshops, couldnt give you that, but I can tell Masi Oka from "Heroes" and "Hawaii 5-0" was hitting the worskshop circuit at one point, as was Vernon Wells during the 07-08 years. Apparently they found some value in them so they can't be all bad.
Good.

God.

Greta Gerwig just signed on to star in the "How I Met Your Mother" spinoff after getting nominated for a Golden Globe for the lead in Frances Ha, the movie she wrote with her boyfriend Noah Baumbach. Please tell me you've at least heard of him.

Broad City is a great show on Comedy Central and just got renewed for a second season. It's getting critical acclaim.

They might not be household names, but who cares? Most households are idiots and we need to do better than that as actors anyway.

Posts: 171 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I think doing your own work is not only great, but a requirement. You have to wear a lot of hats in this town to get noticed. However, the work that you do must satisfy a need within yourself. There are people who write, produce, direct and act always for the intention of being noticed. Well, of course you want to be! But, you also need to look at it from the perspective that it is helping you to grow professionally and personally.

EVERYONE these days puts something on Youtube, and the fact is, most of it is pretty bad. BUT.....even the bad gets noticed (especially if it is someone young and good-looking, and after all, in Hollywood that is really all the matters anyway.)

But the focus is: do it to express yourself, your need to use your artistic abilities, but not just to be noticed. "Just to be noticed" is too obvious and usually not memorable.

Posts: 308 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Live Stream on production tonight

http://www.sagfoundation.org/livestream

Posts: 26 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
Yes. There is a reason it is said that the new triple threat in Hollywood is the actor/writer/producer.

Besides Stallone, see also Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Vin Diesel for famous examples of people who got ahead by making their own work.

No problems with making your own work. Theres really no problem with it if you make projects that extremely profitable like STallone and his Rocky's & Expendable movies.

But if thats ALL that you're doing, then it starts to look like you dont have the ability to cast in something that someone else created.

If I was a major casting director, and I saw a guy had like 100 youtube videos but not a single credit I recognize from a studio project, I would probably be a little dubious of that person.

SUre Vin DIesal made that 1st short or whatever, but he makes his fortune of films that he is cast in. Matt Damon had success with that Goodwill Hunting, but again, he make his living/fortune from projects that someone else created

Look up Jimmy Tatro. He started off making videos on YouTube and now he has a ton of subscribers. He also appeared in Grown Ups 2 (as an extra I believe, but still, that's a door that was opened for him that otherwise wouldn't have been).

Also, Workaholics. Those guys started off making YouTube clips and now they have their own very profitable show on Comedy Central, along with getting cast in other projects.

Creating your own work is definitely a good thing to do, but as has been stressed make it good and focus on the overall story and product, not your acting.

Posts: 66 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look up Jimmy Tatro. He started off making videos on YouTube and now he has a ton of subscribers. He also appeared in Grown Ups 2 (as an extra I believe, but still, that's a door that was opened for him that otherwise wouldn't have been).

Also, Workaholics. Those guys started off making YouTube clips and now they have their own very profitable show on Comedy Central, along with getting cast in other projects.

Creating your own work is definitely a good thing to do, but as has been stressed make it good and focus on the overall story and product, not your acting.

Okay, I've gotta say I just watched this guy's videos and they are actually funny. Plus, he is with UTA now. I wonder if that happened b/c of his videos?

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was around five years ago, so I don't remember the exact details. I just remember that you were part of the discussion and that you made a suggestion about getting oriented about how to go about things from the ground up by helping out on the crew for indie projects.

I think it had something to do with you getting into acting by taking spots off the crew when you were a film student and how we could learn lots about the process by doing that. It worked for me. I had read up on the filmmaking process and had some short screenplays ready freshman year that I let film students shoot as long as I was in them. But I also helped out with some of their other projects when I had the time.

That led me into the local filmmaking community when I stayed in town during the summers which led to the good, dependable people to work with, and eventually producing and directing my own shorts once I had enough experience to do so without wasting peoples' time and causing train wrecks. It even got me some small festival nominations and wins besides leading to good things out here, so big shout out again! Smiler

Nice!! Yeah, thats actually how I started out...I was crewing on indie movies and they always pulled me in for quick cameos and such, and then it just grew.

I would recommend it to anyone to build contacts, as well as have a much deeper understanding of what goes on on a film set. I have done every job there was, but I sort of settled in to grip/electric and then art dept as I went on. These days I don't do it as much...but I am so glad I did!! The rewards have been significant!

Here is another great example of one of these modern "triple threats": Larry Fessenden. He has acted for the likes of Martin Scorcesse and Jim Jarmusch, written and directed movies, and produced and edited movies that were not his own. This article summing up his career for an award he won really sums up the magic of it all: http://winterfilmawards.com/20...ema-award/#more-3010

Posts: 195 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Nowadays, the direction of creatives like us is what SAG/AFTRA calls "New Media". Online there are countless serials, episodes, webisodes, what have you. We have the equipment sophisticated enough to create and produce our own work -- now the question is, is your work quality or does anyone else besides your family or best friend want to see it and follow it and talk about it? As far as reels, people do tend to take the route of filming what some call "vanity pieces" or "showcase pieces" to show the range they can do. I don't think it's all bad, it's just the progression of things, the DIY.

with that, we can become aware and even sympathetic to what each person goes through, what a writer, what a director, what a sound person, what an editor, what a cinematographer goes through. We can figure out what works for us, and why we should get someone else who can do the job better for us so we can focus on what we can do best.

Posts: 350 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Here is a new related Backstage article,

http://www.backstage.com/news/...directed-films-sxsw/

Posts: 123 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I just posted a new thread on a pilot that I wrote and produced...you can see the trailer in the thread:

http://bbs.backstage.com/group.../9131061/m/259103464

Posts: 34 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to find out about webseries that are casting if you don't know the people that are actually involved in it? aka newbie

Posts: 32 | Location: here and there | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could hop on this thread...

I'm 62 and have now just started acting...last week actually. (I was a pro baseball umpire in another life, so acting should not be a stretch).
I submitted my head shots to several backstage postings, attracted 3 auditions and got 2 supporting roles. Beginner's luck or not, perhaps my bald look, coupled with my adult size persona, is somehow interesting. Who knows yet?

In any case, I am seeking some advice. Initially, to attract an agent, do what?

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC | Registered: March 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Get a good headshot, one of the most important. Take some good classes, into look commercial classes first.

Posts: 123 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I create my own content. I wrote, produced, and starred in a 23 minute stoner comedy "pilot" with tons of CGI dinosaurs. You can see the minute long trailer here: http://vimeo.com/88321386

*edit

realized I posted the thread above....d'oh.

Posts: 34 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post