home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Who here makes their own work?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here makes their own work? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Writing is important, but like bez said, his DP made it look good. I feel you can have maybe a decent script, but excellent actors and DP..it can still look golden. Just my opinion.

Posts: 94 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post

Posts: 86 | Location: Unhappily in LA | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I create my own work. I love it. Not easy to wear multiple hats WELL. The problem with actor produced stuff isn't narcissism its simply when they don't know how to:
coordinate - projects fall apart before shooting begins
use quality equipment
WRITE - most sketches are horrible bores
they make themselves a lead but they are not compelling to watch

I think people underestimate what it takes to make something GREAT and worth watching. Yes there are actor/ writer/ director/ producer 's out there BUT they are NOT doing all of those things alone. There are usually one or more writers writing with them and an AD who know's how to run a set, and SEVERAL producers making the project happen. Don't compare yourself to someone who has movies in wide release thinking that you can do all of that with only an actor's experience in 10 minutes even. It can be a goal, but understand no job on a set is less important or okay to cut corners on.

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 128 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Totallycool:
The problem with actor produced stuff isn't narcissism its simply when they don't know how to:

WRITE - most sketches are horrible bores
they make themselves a lead but they are not compelling to watch

^^^^^^^
This!! And then when you dont find it funny, you get accused of having no sense of humor.

Sure we would all love to be a leading man/ lady if the opportunity presents itself. But sometimes its better if you acknowledge that someone else leading in your project can perhaps take it to new heights that you personally can't.

Posts: 255 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<flutzqueen>
posted
I don't post, but I have to say that this thread caught my attention. Here's my advice:

BEFRIEND WRITERS!

There are SO many writers in this town who would love to film sketches, scenes, and shorts they've written. They can write things tailored to you. And it's a win-win, because you're adding a valuable contact to your team and you both benefit.

I'm not saying that there's a problem with writing your own material, but I will say this much: being able to call yourself a "writer" isn't worth anything if you write something that sucks.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Hey guys...wanted to update you with my new trailer for Pterodactyl Surprise: (this one has a bunch more dinosaurs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...QayiXg-0lo_4P7zyf7tQ

Posts: 31 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post