home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Silly Sh1t Acting Teachers Say
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silly Sh1t Acting Teachers Say Login/Join

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
How do these people even get jobs teaching? But I like when anyone says something that you can easily disprove (I have Meisner's book handy).

Also I'm gonna go add myself to a soap that only existed before I was born. Maybe to some radio shows too.

Posts: 1082 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Film acting and stage acting are different mediums...like canvas and marble…the tools learned from stage acting have no use for film acting"

"The working actors add credits on their IMDB and lie on their resume. Look at (insert famous actor/director's name)."

"We work on our muscle of the moment in class"

"Only the 'sheeple' are taking improv classes"

"Good acting is a lot like good sex! If you're thinking too much during it, it's going to suck!"

"We teach a very avant-garde/cutting edge approach…which is really dangerous and powerful"

"What do Stanislavski, Strasberg, Meisner, Adler, Chekhov, Hagen have in common? They're all for stage!"

"It's (acting and improvising is) like jazz...he's riffing on a C# triad...then I'll react and go up and down an F Major scale..." (An F Major scale theoretically would not sound good over an C# major triad)

"This is a Chekhov exercise...now imagine you're flying...you land on an island and a seal pops out of the water and talks to you. Remember what it tells you..."

"I never studied with Stella Adler nor her technique, but she was all about being nice to her students" (NOT according to what people who DID study with Adler said...)

"Improv isn't about listening and reacting. It's the battle of the wittiest and trying to outdo the other person"

"Tom Cruise used to tell his agent to not send him out on commercials or tv shows and ONLY send him out on films. Tom Cruise didn't do student films either, so why should you?"

"Okay, let's take a 15 minute break!" (The break literally ends up being 45 minutes!)

Not so much something funny relating to the craft or acting in general really, but I always thought this was funny:

"I'm pretty sure the ladies next door give more than just a massage. How come only men come there? Women get massages too!"

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
"Sheeple" has got to be a new low. But the other improv one trumps it.

Posts: 1082 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Damn, Truth. You sure have studied with a lot of silly teachers. I'm glad you finally found a good one! haha

Posts: 224 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
A Cold Reading Class:

"You're not angry enough. I need you be angrier!"

Posts: 68 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
"You can't do script analysis and expect to be moment to moment with the other actor."

Posts: 27 | Location: Off the chain | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Script analysis is bullshit!"

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From teachers who have never booked a commercial:

"Commercials aren't worth pursuing unless you have a 'commercial' look"

"You normally have 4-5 callbacks for commercials"

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
- "I want you to point to the worst actor in the room." (This was said to another student, not me. The student picked someone even though he should have refused to participate in this ridicule. This was a GUEST teacher and our regular acting teacher did nothing to stop this bullshit.)

-"I WANT TO SEE HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF A STRANGE MAN JUST TRIED TO RAPE YOU! Okay go all eyes are on you..." (for a shakespeare monologue)

- Teacher: "You have it in you to be a very specific kind of star. I can see it. Like the Judy Garlands and Marilyn Monroes..."

Me: But they all died in horrible ways.

Teacher: Well do you want to be a star or don't you?

Me: Confused

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post