home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Silly Sh1t Acting Teachers Say
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silly Sh1t Acting Teachers Say Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
"You're too short to act"

Obviously they never heard of Danny DeVito or Kristin Chenoweth

(and yes I was told that to my face)

Posts: 24 | Location: Los Angles, CA | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
(reads an excerpt from his/her own book in class) - "Wasn't that just amazing?!? Changes your whole life, doesn't it?!"

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
"It's okay if your audition isn't perfect, casting directors don't expect your audition to be perfect."
Bahahaha! Big Grin

"You shoudn't get too into the business."

"Workshops are a great way to be seen."

"I invited such and such director to tomorrows class" and someone else entirely shows up and they have nothing to do with actors.

"Come to this workshop night. They're casting right out of our studio."

Laugh when people try to take you as a fool.

Posts: 128 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this one director tell me "you can't just say the lines, and you can't just say the lines *as* the character. You have to say the words *through* the character, using the lines as the *context*, but not as what he *says*, but what the lines represent as the *reality* of what he *feels* he does and says."

I literally sat there and blinked at him for a moment -- this is a true story -- and replied, "So ... you want me to punch the name 'Billy' here, right?" (we were doing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

Posts: 5 | Location: Deepinaharta, Texas | Registered: November 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brightlightsbigcity:

How tall are you?

Posts: 94 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
"Unfortunately, Stanislavski was wrecked by the two superpowers for different reasons. He got adopted by the Soviets and this mindless, literalist mode for real eggs, a real fire, and so on. Then it all got further ruined by the Americans with their Method, which removes the idea of acting completely from the idea of an ensemble and turns it into the private secret which I am not going to show to anybody - the capitalist view!"

"Why you read the books? They are shit! If book could teach you to act, KGB would destroy it and sent writer to Siberia!"

"Don't make me hit you!"

Posts: 223 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
quote:
Originally posted by brightlightsbigcity:

How tall are you?

I'm 4'9" and weigh 80 lbs. I'm very tiny and get easily mistaken for a preteen even though I'm closer to 30 than 20 if you get my drift Smiler

Posts: 24 | Location: Los Angles, CA | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
-During an interview with a 'certified ....technique teacher' ('.....technique: I taught Brad Pitt" (Then why doesn't he endorse any of your books/schools and only cites Roy London?)

Me: Why do we have to rehearse the scene with our scene partner outside of class and not by ourselves?

Teacher: What do you think is ideal, rehearsing with or without scene partner?

Me: I guess with scene partner?

Teacher: Ofcourse!

Me: But what if I book a guest appearance on a tv show where if I'm lucky can have the sides one or two days before and cannot rehearse it with my scene partner?

Teacher: Purpose of this class is not telling you to work professionaly.

Posts: 36 | Location: Worldwide | Registered: July 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
on the being short thing, fuck them! I don't want to curse and there are better ways to express myslef than cursing, but really, f them! Look at Kevin Hart, 5'2" and the hottest star in Hollywood right now. Don't let anyone get in your way.

Posts: 94 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
I'll start.

-"Memorizing is not important in my class"

My son was told this over and over along with "you do not need to memorize your sides for auditions"

Posts: 8 | Location: California | Registered: February 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
I'll start.

-"Memorizing is not important in my class"

My son was told this over and over along with "you do not need to memorize your sides for auditions"

Memorizing should NOT be the first thing you do when you get sides. If you break down the scene and answer all of the important questions needed to bring the scene to life, then learning the lines becomes the by-product.

This quote pertains to a teacher who has you do the scene for 3-4 weeks, makes you hold the script during weeks 1,2,3, and 4, and tells you not to memorize.

I think that is some of the WORST advice, EVER! You have to be off book when on set so why not practice that?

Posts: 1450 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
In all fairness, my teacher (Alderson) does not believe in running lines.

He believes in learning lines by working the scene with your partner over and over.

There are exceptions to everything. I also don't believe memorization should be a priority. Necessary, yes. But not a priority. Just my opinion.

Posts: 516 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh! I HATE running lines.

Posts: 1450 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlexJ:
Love this post. Here's the douche bag shit that made me bounce out of the there:

Los Angeles

"I'm really good friends with a couple of agents."

"I'm really good friends with a couple of managers."

"I'm on the Academy Awards committee."

"I occasionally get asked by casting directors for certain types of actors who fit roles."

"Most actors are idiots."

"You [did this one little thing 'wrong' and I will fixate on that to tear you down and make you feel as if you need to keep coming back to me]. Now go sit down you only get one crack at the scene."

"Your headshot is terrible. I know a photographer."

"Your reel is horrible. I know an editor."

So, I was going to basically do #6 on your list almost word for word, but now don't have to! Ahhhhh, insanity.

Posts: 121 | Location: LA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by novia:
So, I was going to basically do #6 on your list almost word for word, but now don't have to! Ahhhhh, insanity.

So glad you know who this is! ha

Posts: 98 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post