home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Tips for using Actors Access
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for using Actors Access Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger_One:
quote:
Originally posted by marbar:
That may fly in Chicago, but it won't work in NYC and LA.

What won't work? Contacting a CD directly, outside of Actors Access? Or putting the location of my acting reel into a submission "note"?
quote:

$22 per minute is not THAT expensive when you compare it to what you'll make if you book a real paying job.
The money I spent to upload my clips was completely paid for after 2 bookings.

You've got to invest in your career and you have to spend money to make money.

Yes, but what if my acting reel changes regularly? Then, I have to keep paying $22 per minute every time I upload a new reel.

And why does Actors Access relegate people who do not have their reels on Actors Access, to the bottom of the pile? Actors Access does not *have* to do that.

In LA and NY, contacting the CDs directly won't fly with major offices.

Also, you MUST HAVE CLIPS ATTACHED TO YOUR PROFILE! Posting your link in the notes section is dumb because 1. CDs don't always read it. 2. A profile with an attached clip/reel will be pushed to the top of the list. 3. They're not going to copy and paste a link. Your agent isn't going to do that for you either!

You DON'T upload whole reels to actors access!
1. CDs DON'T have time to watch it all.
2. What good is it if it leads off with a comedy and the project is some serious drama?
3. Updates

You upload clips which are 20-45 seconds or a minute if it's guest star stuff. And if you had 4 30 second clips, it's $44 for two minutes total. And if you replace old clips with newer clips, you can hide the old ones. Also, with clips, it's like sending a customized reel everytime in that the relevant clips are attached.

And the people who have footage should be the ones at the top because they paid extra and have earned footage that shows them.

As usual, excellent advice from Truthteller59. But I'd say you can stretch a clip up to a minute thirty, but only if it's really strong.

Posts: 83 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I have my stuff on Actor's Access as clips. When I submit to a role, I click whatever clips pertain. Less is sometimes more.

I have 8 clips on there, most about 30 seconds. Some a bit more. I took advantage of the 50% sale last year and was able to get a lot up at once without breaking my wallet.

I also have two reels on Vimeo, comedy and drama. I use these when I am e-mailing people inquiring about projects, catching up with industry people I haven't heard from in awhile, etc. I always have these in my sig file of all my e-mails as well.

As far as credits go...I don't list all of them on AA. I have the most recognizable first (and adjust which order I have "TV" and "Film" in to allow for my most recognizable to go first.) I keep it fairly short, have my recognizable credits, then round it out with the indies that seem to have the most weight. One which played at Sundance, a couple from known cult directors, the ones I did kind of recently and if I still need a couple credits...the ones that just sound cool.

I always switch out the "ones I did recently" when I do some new ones unless they have some additional qualifier.

I have my set up as simple as possible, with major heading "Film" "Television" and "Training". Three collums, "Project Name" Role (not the name, just Lead or Co-Star or whatever) and the last collum I put the director or company/network, whichever carries the most prestige.

Finally, in my training section whenever I take a new class, I put it on there. I prioritize these as well, not with most recent first, but most known first. If I start a new level in a series of classes, I put the most recent taken (for example, Upright Citizens Brigade, Level 2 (currently attending).

I have had some success through AA. Had some auditions, booked some stuff. My headshots could be a little closer in to work better as thumbnails, so my next batch I'll take care of that.

Posts: 197 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Chan:
But I'd say you can stretch a clip up to a minute thirty, but only if it's really strong.

What's your reasoning for that?

Normally a minute 30 is the max length of a speed demo reel should you feel the need to do that.

Posts: 2143 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, to be clear, it's charging you per time, not per time AND per clip? For instance, if I have two separate clips, 30 seconds each, I'm only going to get charged $22, yes? Or will it charge you a minimum of $22 per clip, even if the clip is less than 1 minute? Does that make any sense, lol?

Posts: 12 | Location: NYC | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by everybodywins:
So, to be clear, it's charging you per time, not per time AND per clip? For instance, if I have two separate clips, 30 seconds each, I'm only going to get charged $22, yes? Or will it charge you a minimum of $22 per clip, even if the clip is less than 1 minute? Does that make any sense, lol?

Yes, the price is based on total.

So if you have 2 30 second clips, it will cost you $22

I once sent 4 clips that equalled 2 minutes and 15 seconds and they still charged me $44. So that was cool.

Posts: 2143 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too shabby!

Posts: 12 | Location: NYC | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by harlemhippo:
I have 8 clips on there, most about 30 seconds. Some a bit more. I took advantage of the 50% sale last year and was able to get a lot up at once without breaking my wallet.

When was this 50% sale and when does this usually happen???

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
I would rather pay $22/minute per clip than $5/ month (castingnetworks) the $22 per clip makes me think before I add it. "Is this really the BEST i have to show in the least amount of time?"

Posts: 113 | Location: Gulf Coast | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanlixia:
quote:
Originally posted by harlemhippo:

When was this 50% sale and when does this usually happen???

Normally during December

posted Hide Post
Very good thread, Good to know about the sale in December, I myself wanted to upload different clips but it can be pricy.

Also, I think it is okay to email a CD, esp if you have a relationship with them.
Ive met numerous CDs in workshops who give their emails. I wouldnt do it for every role I see, but if its a major one, I would definitely send them an email.

Posts: 7 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
December i uploaded my reel for $11 which was great. Then, they split it into comedy and theatrical versions for free.

Yes, it sucks that you have to sign up for the websites and pay extra for headshots + reels as well. I think of it as one time deal, i upload some pics and clips and i dont have to worry about it for a while (atleast a year!). But, if its one place i am okay spending money is having my reel and correct headshots being up o n the website where i can link anyone to... Actorsaccess is like having my own website (or close to it). i also have my youtube links pasted in my resume in case anyone really wants to dig deep and find my other stuff

Posts: 51 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I once sent 4 clips that equalled 2 minutes and 15 seconds and they still charged me $44. So that was cool.

So, what kind of rounding does Actors Access use?

If the clips total 2:15, then AA rounds to 2:00. How much over 2:00 can the clips go before AA rounds to 2:30 or to 3:00?

If I have two clips totaling 1:12, will AA round to 1:00?

Posts: 50 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: June 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger_One:
quote:

So, what kind of rounding does Actors Access use?

If the clips total 2:15, then AA rounds to 2:00. How much over 2:00 can the clips go before AA rounds to 2:30 or to 3:00?

If I have two clips totaling 1:12, will AA round to 1:00?

I submitted 2 audio tracks totaling 1:07. They rounded down. I submitted 2 videos totaling 1:24. They rounded up.

Posts: 473 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lonni Delane:

I submitted 2 audio tracks totaling 1:07. They rounded down. I submitted 2 videos totaling 1:24. They rounded up.

Was the 1:24 rounded up to 1:30? Or rounded up to 2:00?

Posts: 50 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: June 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
They only round to whole minutes, not half minutes.

Posts: 473 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post