home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Cheapest Places to Do CD Workshops in LA
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest Places to Do CD Workshops in LA Login/Join

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to defend the guy, because the audit of his class definitely rubbed me the wrong way, but I have a few working actor friends who do ongoings with him and they SWEAR by him...and they had misgivings at first too. They also swear that he has helped them get in doors. Anecdotal, but just sayin...

Mae

Posts: 202 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Rather than start a new topic I will ask this question here.

Does anyone have information on these workshop people www.oneononenyc.com ?

They operate in New York and do events in LA also such as the following:

http://www.oneononenyc.com/la

1017 North Orange Drive
Hollywood, CA 90036

3-WEEK CLASS WITH TV/FILM CASTING DIRECTOR Paul Weber This class meets 3 times.

Dates:
Thursday, February 20, 2014, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday, February 27, 2014, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday, March 6, 2014, 7:00pm - 10:00pm

Fee: $195

One on One members pay a one-time registration fee of $50

Posts: 63 | Location: LA, CA | Registered: October 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One on one isn't cheap and doesn't belong here.

This thread is for listing places that are as cheap or cheaper than the places listed on page 1.

Posts: 1506 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with taking ANY kind of Casting Director workshops is that ALL teach from a subjective point of view. In other words, they are NOT actors, never have been so don't waste your money!

Posts: 10 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
You sound like a casting director or someone who runs a casting director workshop.

WRONG! I actually respect what Billy DaMota has done and says.

I'm against the greed of some of these Workshop Owners and the many Casting Associates and even Head CDs who make most of their money by whoring themselves out to at least 12 different workshops a month off of the many actors who go to these (most of them who are NOT ready).

But the shitty reality of this business is, workshops are becoming a major way of getting on the CD's radar, NOT the only way of course. Telling actors to simply not go to them isn't going to solve the problem. No better solution has been proposed yet so workshops will continue to exist whether you like them or not.

If you're a well trained actor and are smart with targeting CDs for shows you'd be right for, then why not save money by avoiding the Workshop places that rip actors off the most?

Thank you. Lots of people don't get jobs through workshops--and it can be any number of things (often that, sorry, that particular person isn't a good actor.)I can count more than a dozen of my talented friends who HAVE gotten cast directly as a result of taking a workshop. That's just how it is. ANYWAY, the website Workshop Guru offers a free one month membership, and it compiles *most* (they say all, but--yeah) of the workshops. You can search by CD, and it's not the best website but still pretty helpful.

Posts: 121 | Location: LA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lindygurl:
The biggest problem with taking ANY kind of Casting Director workshops is that ALL teach from a subjective point of view. In other words, they are NOT actors, never have been so don't waste your money!

NO serious actor goes to CD Workshops to actually learn acting!

It's a way of marketing yourself so you can get on their radar. DUH!

As shitty as it is, CD Workshops are the new generals.

Posts: 1506 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Truthteller, but what you're saying is wrong regarding CD workshops as the new generals. It's your agents job to get you in for CD meetings, only wanna-bees do CD workshops.

Posts: 10 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry Truthteller, but what you're saying is wrong regarding CD workshops as the new generals. It's your agents job to get you in for CD meetings, only wanna-bees do CD workshops.

I'm not one to sit on my ass and wait for my agents to make something happen. CDs get THOUSANDS of submissions per role because of online submissions. I prefer making my agents' jobs easier.

posted Hide Post
unless you can do them for free otherwise, it's your wasted buck.

posted Hide Post
quote:

And it's your decision to have a pre-internet mentality.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Did a workshop with Mark Teschner, CD of General Hospital, 2-1/2 years ago. Yesterday, he e-mailed to come in to audition as a body double for one of the cast members. Obviously, I'm glad he thought of me, called me in, but how does that happen after 2-1/2 years?

Actually softening my stance a little in regards to CD workshops; there are only a few I'm signed up with; The Bridge and Actors Key. As an older actor, not so easy for me to get representation, so I'm starting to think of going to a few agent showcases.

Posts: 39 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt. Hulka:
quote:
quote:

Did a workshop with Mark Teschner, CD of General Hospital, 2-1/2 years ago. Yesterday, he e-mailed to come in to audition as a body double for one of the cast members. Obviously, I'm glad he thought of me, called me in, but how does that happen after 2-1/2 years?

Actually softening my stance a little in regards to CD workshops; there are only a few I'm signed up with; The Bridge and Actors Key. As an older actor, not so easy for me to get representation, so I'm starting to think of going to a few agent showcases.

Congrats on getting called in yesterday! I hope that it went well. It would be interesting to know how he remembered you. Did you ever follow up with postcards, emails, etc.?

Posts: 17 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alvi:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt. Hulka:
quote:
quote:

Congrats on getting called in yesterday! I hope that it went well. It would be interesting to know how he remembered you. Did you ever follow up with postcards, emails, etc.?

He called me yesterday to come in today. I absolutely have no idea how he would remember me, and still have my headshots from 2-1/2 years ago. Pretty sure they toss them after 6 months, if not right after the workshop, lol. I remember I did send him a postcard, thanking him for his time. I've thought of asking him how he came upon asking me to come in, but I don't think I will---gift horse/mouth kind of thing.

Posts: 39 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Sgt. Hulka...I hope that it went/goes well! Best of luck! Hopefully it does.

Posts: 17 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alvi:
Sgt. Hulka...I hope that it went/goes well! Best of luck! Hopefully it does.

Thanks, it did. Just got back. Somewhere in the back of my mind, though, I think I our paths may have crossed another time since the workshop a few years ago. He seemed to remember me, was very nice. Although I've learned not to count on anything in this business, I left the meeting with a positive feeling that I may be called back sometime in the future. No matter; a good meeting, and that's all I could hope for.

And for what it's worth, reading the boards here for awhile, it does seem that Mark Teschner and Scott David, are two of the very few CD's that actually do bring people in after workshops.