home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Anyone Else Find Scene Study Completely Useless for Booking Jobs? Any Alternatives?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Find Scene Study Completely Useless for Booking Jobs? Any Alternatives? Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Truthtellet59 - didn't mean to sight the entire qyote just to make that one comment. BTW, I appreciate all of your time and insights. Thanks.

Posts: 87 | Location: Huntington Beach | Registered: July 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the best way to get good on-camera is to be on camera. Scene study is useful for learning techniques, auditioning classes are good for learning how to audition more effectively, AND -- I get the most out of grabbing a camera and some friends and shooting something. Then you can watch back and evaluate. Work creates work, the busier I am shooting stuff, the more I seem to generate paying gigs.

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milanfc10:I used to fear joining a "class" or a "Studio", and would lie to myself and say "Will Smith never took a class" or "You can't TEACH Acting, your born with it"...

Will Smith actually gets coached by Aaron Speiser so he did learn about acting... He gave a lecture at the studio and talked about how Aaron coaches him and scene objectives right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...bedded&v=ZJtu1c7WMfk

Posts: 101 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie200:
quote:
Originally posted by Milanfc10:I used to fear joining a "class" or a "Studio", and would lie to myself and say "Will Smith never took a class" or "You can't TEACH Acting, your born with it"...

Will Smith actually gets coached by Aaron Speiser so he did learn about acting... He gave a lecture at the studio and talked about how Aaron coaches him and scene objectives right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?f...bedded&v=ZJtu1c7WMfk

I hate whomever made up that Will Smith never took a class.

It's been known for a long time that Will Smith studied with Aaron Speiser.

And not to sound racist, but there is a reason why Aaron Speiser's school has one of the highest black student bodies in LA.

Posts: 2136 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find Amy Lyndon Amazing, I coached with her and believe me she will whip you into shape. She is so brutally honest and makes you learn how to BOOK, how to get into character, she gives you pointers and MAKES you break the scene down otherwise you just wont book. My name is Stacy Aspen, after a month of her ongoing coaching I was going from no call backs to call backs and finally booking! Another thing to learn is that it is hard work. You have to work, you have to grow, you have to study. There is just no easy way around it. NONE. And most of all you have to audition or you wont get used to the process.

Posts: 11 | Location: L.A | Registered: September 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
When I saw a bunch of threads with responses by Stacy Aspen, I wondered what new shill we had on the board. I see now it's for Amy Lyndon.

Honestly, this place is really going down the tubes with all this stuff. Every week there's another new shill, or another psycho drawing a ton of attention to themselves by trolling everyone, or some stupid infight over who said what about some teacher.

Posts: 163 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I hate shills as much as anyone, but honestly, I don't see Stacy Aspen as a shill. She has 10 posts on the board, but only one of them mentions Amy Lyndon. Also, she registered in 2012 - she didn't just join today and start spamming the boards with praise for one company. And she does have an actor blog and an IMDB page - granted, there are no credits on the IMDB page, but she does seem to me like someone who is at least *trying* to pursue an acting career, not simply someone who works for Amy Lyndon.

So no, not a shill as far as I can see. JMO.

Posts: 476 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
That's a good point, though I saw two posts mentioning Lyndon. I just thought it was strange that all the sudden she answered all these threads and mentioned the same teacher twice, though if you're really a fan of someone you're currently working with that behavior makes sense. I guess I'm just defensive because of my other points, which I certainly stand behind.

Posts: 163 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mentioned her because she helped me. People are asking for advice and I gave my opinion, nothing to be skeptical about I am not selling anything, I gave the advice for free, honestly, so why be skeptical. I am telling the truth and thats why I am sharing it. But I truly understand your skepticsm with Hollywood being what it is. But it just is that way and there is nothing you or I can do about it for a long time. Its competitive and its hard. So I don't understand why you are responding to me with negativity and skepticm the question was about Scene study...I find scene study to be useless for booking in my experience, i just threw my two sense in. Poeple have choices, they don't have to go to her or anything, you kind of have to make your own my up. I mentioned her because she helped me. She may not be right for the person asking the question. And as for me answering a whole bunch of posts, maybe I felt giving. Maybe I understand that frustration can take its toll and some people really have the same questions I had when I started out. I am still trying my best to feel out my career and I am getting help but you cannot do without professional help. Professional people who know how the game is played. Show Business is a business.

Posts: 11 | Location: L.A | Registered: September 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the heck! All the negative people on here who don't mean anyone any good, find out when the next shuttle is to Mars and BOARD it, I had no idea there were so many naysayers on this board, people ask questions and then bash the person who tries to give advice. Well excuse me...I am not even giving advice I am sharing experiences. You are all on here thinking fame is going to happen overnight with all that negativity and maybe this and maybe that and I assure you it is not! So no matter what you say about me, it still isn't going to change the fact that you are all on here yacking against me, I work! I audition and I get call backs because of training. I start a show in Hollywood and rehearsals are tomorrow for several weeks, M-F if you know what that means. That is work and investment in your career and your craft. Another thing, although I might have said that, nothing is a guarantee for you or me or anyone. I DO NOT work for AMY LYNDON, she is a WONDERFUL coach and helped me Book more things. That is the Simple truth. She has made a difference for me just like Aaron Speiser made a difference for Will Smith and the Actors Gang for George Clooney who are Mega Stars from Training, honing their craft, there is a reason why they are stars. So Stop being lame and bashing the people who are trying to share something meaningful. And by the way, i thought this message board was a legitimate message board for people to share advice! I had no idea it was filled with so much vitriol and haters. If you have nothing nice to say about people, or any critisms about working actors do yourselves a favor and piss off. No one is going to work with you if you aren't pleasant. Its so much better not to here you say anything! because real genuine actors face enough criticisms ever day! about our career choices, about success and failure and who the hell are you guys to come on here and bash me. Whatever.

Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if that second paragraph is directed at me. Regardless, it's not doing you any favors.

I apologize for accusing you of shilling, but if you look at the behavior of others who definitely have (well, that may be difficult as they eventually disappear) it's similar. And it's been happening more lately, which is why I jumped to that conclusion. As I said, if you are really a fan of a teacher I can see where it could come off like that because of course you'd mention them a few times.

posted Hide Post
Has it ever occurred to you my dear that people are busy? that I have a life? perhaps people who disappear do have a life as I am one of them who tend to remember about backstage message board when I am not really busy. Accusing people of things that they are not like shilling doesn't do you any favors either. Sure as heck not for me, You don't even know me. I am not looking for any favors whatsoever from you, I was trying to give positive feedback to a question asked and I wasn't even responding to you at all. So the last post is for everyone who dug into me for making my view point on a message board FOR viewpoints known. People probably disappear because it doesn't seem to make sense to give your view point because someone is always sarcastically making a mockery out of what they are trying to say or just being plain nasty for NO REASON. Who cares if you aren't a fan of mine, I wouldn't want you to be. Your jumped to conclusions, ran with something nasty about me and now your trying to apologize. Apology accepted, now lets move on.

One more thing, I am NOT selling wares, but it doesn't mean other people aren't, so your skepticism is valid. But whether they are selling or not, do yourself a favor and research them before you go ACCUSING THEM, You never know who they might be.

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
The real reason is why bump this thread pretty much 100% unnecessarily.

Posts: 967 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
"So the last post is for everyone who dug into me for making my view point on a message board FOR viewpoints known."

Everyone? Who is "everyone"? I only saw one post questioning your motives, and the person already acknowledged that he/she may have been mistaken. Where did you see "everyone" piling on you? I'm not understanding all this anger and defensiveness.

Posts: 476 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apology accepted, now lets move on.

One more thing

That was impressive.