home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Is it still necessary to move to la
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it still necessary to move to la Login/Join

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
SECOND: To say you WON'T do anything lower as a DAY PLAYER! Stop fooling yourself. If your BRAN NAME and are known you can say that. A SMART ACTOR will take what comes their way even it is a one liner.

That's just wrong. The password to move up in this business is "no".

Posts: 59 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by workinactor:
quote:
Originally posted by merlin santanna:
bump

Bump back atcha Smiler One other thing I wanted to say: california is literally one of the most business-unfriendly states in america, for all businesses. There's been a big exodus of business to other places like Texas(not necessarily industry stuff, just businesses generally), and that's part of whats happening. CA. makes it very hard to do ANYTHING as a business. As long as that's the case, this trend away from cali will continue. I've been living in L.A. for the last 18 years, except for a few months last year living in NY. I left L.A., for New York, 8 days ago. and, except for bookings that take me to california, I'm not coming back. I can do everything I need to do from NY. Film, VO, TV, and finally I can give my Equity card a long-overdue workout.

Let's see how I do.
I encourage anyone to move that doesn't want to be here. The traffic is bad enough with people that feel like workinactor but actually are not a working actor.

----
just another actor..

Posts: 380 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
quote:
quote:
bump

Bump back atcha Smiler One other thing I wanted to say: california is literally one of the most business-unfriendly states in america, for all businesses. There's been a big exodus of business to other places like Texas(not necessarily industry stuff, just businesses generally), and that's part of whats happening. CA. makes it very hard to do ANYTHING as a business. As long as that's the case, this trend away from cali will continue. I've been living in L.A. for the last 18 years, except for a few months last year living in NY. I left L.A., for New York, 8 days ago. and, except for bookings that take me to california, I'm not coming back. I can do everything I need to do from NY. Film, VO, TV, and finally I can give my Equity card a long-overdue workout.

Let's see how I do.
I encourage anyone to move that doesn't want to be here. The traffic is bad enough with people that feel like workinactor but actually are not a working actor.

Hey, don't offload your crap on us. LA may be packaed with people who think they're gonna make it big as actors, but we have people who think they're going to make it big at EVERY SINGLE JOB IN THE WORLD coming here.

...and Broadway people, oh god Broadway people

Posts: 927 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syphus:
quote:
Originally posted by makemefamous:
quote:
quote:
bump

Let's see how I do.

Hey, don't offload your crap on us. LA may be packaed with people who think they're gonna make it big as actors, but we have people who think they're going to make it big at EVERY SINGLE JOB IN THE WORLD coming here.

...and Broadway people, oh god Broadway people

Well, I dunno about being "offloaded". I'm from here. Connecticut-born, Queens-raised. I started my career here. NYU and SVA student films, and of course off-off(off) broadway theatre until I joined Equity.

New York has always been home to me. I missed it.

Posts: 70 | Location: NY | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I thought that's what you had said originally (at least somewhere anyway). But in general terms I stand by my statement.

Posts: 927 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But there was a article claiming that Newyork is the next hollywood and by the productions i see there im not suprised.

Posts: 22 | Location: MI | Registered: December 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I don't think NYC is going to take all production from LA since the studios are based there and the weather is too nice... However, tax incentives will kill a lot of production like they did to Michigan. Michigan had new studios built that are ready to be boarded up since the legislators killed the golden goose.
NYC is not the next Hollywood, its NYC!!!!!

That being said, I am trying to make plans to take DS out to LA this month to visit family and see a few studio and casting people.

Posts: 539 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michigan still has movies coming in Ryan Gosselin is planning on filming a movie here and where also getting a show from amc network

Posts: 22 | Location: MI | Registered: December 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
But there was a article claiming that Newyork is the next hollywood and by the productions i see there im not suprised.

Well it was the "original" Hollywood. But its certainly better than any time in the past. We are starting to get shows that are not exclusively set in New York, and The Dark Knight Rises and Noah were both big...having two big budget movies filmed here, that were not set in New York at all.

But...what this means is that there's an influx of people and the people are growing faster than the work.

posted Hide Post
bump

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Get back to the important issue. Please understand that production is continuing to flee out of California due to the tax incentives. Yes, California is by far the worst state as far as "doing business", this is common knowledge. The pressing issue is how do we get production back? Don't kid yourselves by thinking that nothing has changed. Wake up!

Posts: 23 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I agree with your words that's so true that production will continue to flee out due to tax.
rosarito beach real estate

jeffrey vento

Posts: 1 | Location: New York | Registered: April 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Perhaps LA is trying to mount a comeback in terms of getting production back: http://www.hollywoodreporter.c...has-strongest-435686

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. The tax incentives are a force to be reckoned with, but how long can those states afford those? Any business people out there?

Posts: 31 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump