home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Interview with a Big New York Agent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interview with a Big New York Agent Login/Join

posted
I am in total need of some advice. I read these boards constantly and after seeing some prestigious minds write to the new incoming generation of actors always astonishes me. This is to one of you. I have been studying with a teacher in Chicago that has sealed a interview with an agent that will remain nameless but it's one of the big five's in New york. I.E: William Morris,ICM, APA, or Innovative Artists. My reason for why I am in this predicament is because I have two choices. My teacher is their go to teacher for when their models or actors need to prepare for auditions or already cast guest spots on TV shows or film work. She is sending me out there with 3 MFA students and 1 BFA student from a great theatre program. I though, have only trained with this teacher in a private class of hers for 5 months and I am a little timid because my plan was to go to this theatre school and wait four years and get the right training under my belt an then go out to New York but instead I am getting a golden ticket per se, and have the opportunity to latch onto a very remarkable agency that gets people WORK. I am 22 and I've been acting for about 3 years. Am I better off going to school for four years for Theatre or should I just go to NY an tell this agent I'll give em all I've got. Thanks in an advance for any advice.

Posts: 11 | Location: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
Uh, hello? Go to four years of Theatre school or possibly get signed with a big 5 NY agent?? People go to Theatre school so they could get interviews with Big 5 Agents. Where is your rationality? What are you planning on doing after theatre school if you chose the school route? . . . looking for an agent.

Congratulations, and do not let any burnt out, failed actors' voices screw with your confidence in this meeting. Your acting teacher obviously saw something in you, and you have 3 years of experience. Taking on clients is based on your looks, possible book-ability, and training. It's not only based on training. So, go get 'em tiger, and give the nay-sayers something to talk about.

Posts: 135 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Don't put the school on hold just yet. This is only a foot in the door, not the golden ticket... Most cases the agencies will listen to you and then say they have to do their due diligence. If you actually have the golden ticket they will call you in to sign. Get the interview first, then go to school. Also, you can't do both. Either work or school. Drama schools don't like their students working since they want to mold you without outside interference. Besides it is hard to make grades with attendance based classes if you have to miss them to work.... From experience.
Also, agencies don't get people work. That is your job. They get you seen. Unless they are producing the work.

Posts: 540 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Even if you sign, it's no guaruntee of work. Frankly everyone I know who has signed with a big agent hasn't gotten the amount of work as the people I know of with boutique agencies.

Anyway, the much more important point here is, why is it one or the other? There are schools here. There is no reason you can't come visit and then make the decision after they've made theirs.

Posts: 957 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChasingTheDreamzWhileSatisfyingTheNeeds:
I am in total need of some advice. I read these boards constantly and after seeing some prestigious minds write to the new incoming generation of actors always astonishes me. This is to one of you. I have been studying with a teacher in Chicago that has sealed a interview with an agent that will remain nameless but it's one of the big five's in New york. I.E: William Morris,ICM, APA, or Innovative Artists. My reason for why I am in this predicament is because I have two choices. My teacher is their go to teacher for when their models or actors need to prepare for auditions or already cast guest spots on TV shows or film work. She is sending me out there with 3 MFA students and 1 BFA student from a great theatre program. I though, have only trained with this teacher in a private class of hers for 5 months and I am a little timid because my plan was to go to this theatre school and wait four years and get the right training under my belt an then go out to New York but instead I am getting a golden ticket per se, and have the opportunity to latch onto a very remarkable agency that gets people WORK. I am 22 and I've been acting for about 3 years. Am I better off going to school for four years for Theatre or should I just go to NY an tell this agent I'll give em all I've got. Thanks in an advance for any advice.
Take the meeting and get signed.

----
just another actor..

Posts: 373 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all of you inspirational tsunami's! I definitely know it's no guarantee. But if I were to go School I would be a BFA actor at Northern Illinois University (NIU). So if I did Sign with this agent I'd have to move to New York. Not that I don't want to move to New york now, just that I wouldn't be able to get a degree for acting, which personally degree or not doesn't matter to me, I just want to study acting as many hours of the day as possible.

Posts: 11 | Location: Crystal Lake, Illinois | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
Take the meeting, but be prepared to enjoy Dekalb. Get the degree and then play starving actor in NYC. I know going to school in the middle of a cornfield may seem out of touch,but you would be surprised. It is a good school. (I was Director of Engineering for the TV Services department a number of years ago and adjunct prof..)

Posts: 540 | Location: Cortlandt Manor, NY | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChasingTheDreamzWhileSatisfyingTheNeeds:
Thanks all of you inspirational tsunami's! I definitely know it's no guarantee. But if I were to go School I would be a BFA actor at Northern Illinois University (NIU). So if I did Sign with this agent I'd have to move to New York. Not that I don't want to move to New york now, just that I wouldn't be able to get a degree for acting, which personally degree or not doesn't matter to me, I just want to study acting as many hours of the day as possible.

So...why couldn't you go to a different school? I'll say this again, there's no reason you couldn't still take classes or whatever you ant here too.

Posts: 957 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Is your teacher Kathryn Gately by any chance? If so, I would trust that she wouldn't refer you to agents if she didn't think you are ready to work on some level. She is a friend of one of my teachers and I have heard great things about her. You could still keep training with another Meisner teacher in New York like Esper if the agent wants to sign you. I think the main things you would miss are the semester in Moscow, a background in Theatre Lit, experience doing a few plays and a college degree which you have already said you don't really care about. NIU is a good 2nd tier college program but I don't think they have the kinds of classroom hours as the hardcore conservatories so I think you would mainly get the same training you are now along with a bunch of regular college classes. But ask Kathryn about all this. She would know better than me and could advise you better than anybody on a message board that doesn't know you.

Posts: 153 | Location: Hollywood Hills | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DadinWestchester: That's not a bad deal. It is definitely a win win situation. I guess going to school for four years wouldn't be the end all be all. That would put me at 26 by the time I get out. I'd still have plenty of life in me to go out an hit NYC guns a blazin'

Syphus: No Syphus you are right. I hear there's a lot of good schools out there. I just fear the idea of going to school out there for a class that only meets one day a week and 3 hours each class. I really wanna study the craft and self improve for 13 to 14 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. So maybe I'll just save up like eight thousand an study out in New York with Esper or T. Scrhreiber. Or at best Circle in the Square would be amazing!!!

gyokoren: Wow!! gyokoren You know who Kathryn Gately is?? Yeah, that's her. She's the one referring me. I know she doesn't just send anyone. She's the smartest person I've ever met in my life an to say I had/ have the honor study with her and her husband are two of my best credits' I'll ever obtain. Have you study her? Or who's your friend that know's her?

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by
Syphus: No Syphus you are right. I hear there's a lot of good schools out there. I just fear the idea of going to school out there for a class that only meets one day a week and 3 hours each class. I really wanna study the craft and self improve for 13 to 14 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. So maybe I'll just save up like eight thousand an study out in New York with Esper or T. Scrhreiber. Or at best Circle in the Square would be amazing!!!

You could also go to a place like Pratt or NYU that are full schools. But also most of the conservatories have full-time programs as well. Buit if you're working, then you take what you can. But the good thing about acting is you don't really need to be in a class to do it.

My best "improving" comes from a group of people I know, and we regularly come together and do our own scene study, more or less.

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
If you are not all gung-ho about getting a degree, I'm wondering why you want to spend 4 years studying at a decent but not top tier theater program in the middle of corn country. Are you going on some kind of full ride? That's a lot of coin and a lot of time to invest.

What's your plan on moving to NYC once you graduate? Will you have money saved to make the transition?

I can understand wanting great training, but you may find you spend a lot more time taking a bunch of BS core curriculum classes and playing beer pong.

Posts: 465 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Syphus: Pratt or NY would be Awesome! But those schools are seriously expensive! It would be a around 50k a year to attend one of them schools. I wish I could find just a 2 to 3 year long conservatory that prepares you for Professional stage and on camera work. I couldn't work with just a bunch of friends and do a make shift scene study class. I take acting very seriously and I would need a touch as nails teacher to keep that Aura present. But that's not to say I may never find a group that takes acting very seriously. I just haven't yet.

Lonni Delane: I am not going on a full ride. I just feel that spending 4 years on intense study would be really a good idea for me. I hear more and more actors (I.E. Jessica Chastain) say that if they could give advice to an actor it would be; they need to be EDUCATED and have a lot of life experience. Without that, she couldn't be the actress she is today. I just feel that four years of studying all kinds of classes such as acting and maybe, dance, singing, or writing would make my already slight chance of "getting acting work" actually increase. I don't have a plan for after NIU. It would probably be to go NYC. And then I'd have the tools I need to become a first rate actor. But then again. I'd would most likely be in debt. Gosh..... Such a catch 22

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
HB Probably. I always recommend it for the money / quality. And yes, NYU is unnecessarily expensive, although Pratt is probably cheaper. The one benefit of a four year school is that you have FAFSA and other financial aid option. I went to Syracuse and escaped after four years with only about $5K in loans. So there's money out there to be found.

posted Hide Post
I've heard some really good things about HB. I think my new plan is too go out there, if the interview goes well and they want to represent me then great; but break no bones about it, I will continue to study my butt off. If they don't want to represent me then I will be taking the NIU offer. Or.. try an get into a conservatory out there.

Stphus: That's amazing you managed to walk out with only 5k in debt......