home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Proper Behavior at a Hollywood Premiere
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper Behavior at a Hollywood Premiere Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Why are you guys giving this fool so much of your energy?

Posts: 31 | Location: New York | Registered: January 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stumbleine:
Why are you guys giving this fool so much of your energy?

Slow couple of weeks, and I already watched every Game of Thrones episode in existence, so why not?

Posts: 949 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeagMarie:

I'd read over that small print in anything you signed with a fine tooth comb. Usually those agreements are pretty solid.

Based on the agreement and on the statements made to me by the organizer, I believe I have a great case.

No one on this forum has seen the agreement, and I will not post it here.

quote:

I don't think you have a great case but I'm not the judge in your area either so who knows.

Well, no one on this forum is an attorney, and I know this is not a legal-issues forum, and I am not trying to turn this forum into one.

quote:

Remember though then you are out stating your complaint in public and people do have long memories as well. You don't want to be on the net as the actor that pitched a fit about this.

Officially, this contest is not about my acting career. This contest was run by two companies that are not involved in producing films or tv shows. Hollywood producers will not care that I sued two companies that organized a contest.

Posts: 36 | Location: New York City | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marbar:
What would the lawsuit be? You didn't have to pay anything.

Actually, I had to pay for my meals, transportation to and from my home airport, and baggage check-in.

quote:

You're out time. A court can't award you your time back.

A court can award me money for lost time.

quote:

You can't claim false advertising, because you didn't buy a product.

Yes, you can win a court case because the prize was falsely advertised. There was a case where a radio station decided to award someone "the keys to a new car". Well, the person was awarded the keys, but not the car. That was the radio station's joke. The station was sued successfully.

quote:

A judge would look at you as a disgruntled out-of-work actor and dismiss the lawsuit immediately.

I actually get decent work as an actor, thank you.

Posts: 36 | Location: New York City | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gladstone:

You won a contest. Won being the key word there. No, you didn't EARN your way into the premier, you won it. You should be happy you get to go at all, but instead you're playing a victim.

I should be happy I get to fly several thousand miles just to watch a movie with some nobodies, which I could have done for only $10 at my local theater?

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually get decent work as an actor, thank you.

I'm sorry, Coaster, but...really?

You don't sound like an experienced actor.

Those of us who work regularly as actors understand that winning a contest and attending a premiere where you get to meet celebrities wouldn't be something that would lead to employment. That happens by studying, doing good work, and auditioning.

You know, you've come to this forum asking for people to weigh in, and we have. A lot. And from the very beginning, no one has agreed with the way you viewed this situation. You have a great opportunity here to learn from the more experienced professionals on this board. And what I think is remarkable is how hard you've fought against the input you've received in response to your postings. You asked. We answered. If you're very wise, you'll take note, and save yourself a lot of wasted time and energy.

Otherwise, when you reach the end of this foolish pursuit, probably somewhat poorer (or at the very least having wasted your time), you'll look back over this thread and see what people have been telling you all along. And I think, only then will this conversation have any true value for you.

You are seriously misguided. We're giving you a gift here. Take it. Be humble enough to learn from us.

Michael Kostroff
Creator of the "Audition Psych. 101" workshop (www.auditionpsych101.com)
Author of "Letters from Backstage"

Posts: 502 | Location: New York City | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Kostroff:

Those of us who work regularly as actors understand that winning a contest and attending a premiere where you get to meet celebrities wouldn't be something that would lead to employment. That happens by studying, doing good work, and auditioning.

In a business where *who* you know is as important as, or maybe even *more* important than, *what* you know, I don't think that we can say for certain that my acting career would not have been helped at all if I had met celebrities at the premiere.

However, right now, the *legal* issue is whether I got what I was promised by the papers that I signed and by the contest organizer. Was I promised that celebrities would speak to me? No. Was I promised that, if celebrities spoke to me, my acting career would take off? No.

However, I was promised *proximity* to celebrities, and I did not get that proximity.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Honestly, this is like banging my head with a hammer.

Good luck to you.

Michael Kostroff
Creator of the "Audition Psych. 101" workshop (www.auditionpsych101.com)
Author of "Letters from Backstage"

Posts: 502 | Location: New York City | Registered: June 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coaster_42:
quote:
Originally posted by Gladstone:

You won a contest. Won being the key word there. No, you didn't EARN your way into the premier, you won it. You should be happy you get to go at all, but instead you're playing a victim.

I should be happy I get to fly several thousand miles just to watch a movie with some nobodies, which I could have done for only $10 at my local theater?

I don't know if you are aware...but you are actually a nobody. If you're really in the city, you could sit here and spot celebs all day.

Perhaps you should just show us your IMDB page.

Posts: 949 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good luck to you.

Yes, it is a lost cause.

Posts: 282 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
You say you know this isn't a legal-issues forum and you're not trying to turn it into one, yet that seems to be the only thing you're concerned with.

You're absolutely crazy if you think prearranged meetings with "celebrities" at some premiere because of some contest would move your acting career one iota. You are deluded. You are celebrity-obsessed. You need a major mental adjustment if you're going to get any further on this path.

Actually, you know what, maybe not. Amanda Bynes was a working actress for a while.

Posts: 169 | Location: New York City | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yonie:
quote:

Good luck to you.

Yes, it is a lost cause.

The first problem both of you had was taking it seriously in the first place.

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
So when you go somewhere, one of two things may happen:
- you're close to a celebrity
- you're with a bunch of nobodies.

Damn, that sounds like a miserable life.

"So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home and you cry and you want to die" - Morrissey, The Smiths

Posts: 118 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post