home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    Has anyone worked with Amy Jo Berman before?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone worked with Amy Jo Berman before? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Here's a sincere question. I'm returning to business after a long hiatus and astonished at all the CD workshops. So when I got on her mailing list (she is incredibly persistent!), I started my research. Her website lists a LOT of recent projects on her casting page http://www.amyjobermancasting.com/#!casting but her IMDB says she was only an assistant and her last credit is 1998. That's a huge discrepancy, no?

Posts: 1 | Location: hollywood | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I subscribed to her 4-class webinar and find her information useful. I live in New Orleans, so don't have any hope of her ever casting me in anything out there in L.A.. I've never met her.

Posts: 1 | Location: New Orleans | Registered: July 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She DOES NOT cast anything, ANYMORE!

She is a FORMER VP of Casting for HBO.

Now, she makes money from "teaching."

How effective is her information in her classes? I do not know yet.

Posts: 1415 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Actorvist:
Here's a sincere question. I'm returning to business after a long hiatus and astonished at all the CD workshops. So when I got on her mailing list (she is incredibly persistent!), I started my research. Her website lists a LOT of recent projects on her casting page http://www.amyjobermancasting.com/#!casting but her IMDB says she was only an assistant and her last credit is 1998. That's a huge discrepancy, no?

I have worked with Amy before, and her assistant, and we are good friends.

She know's what she's saying, she's VERY well knowledgeable, and she has a passion for actors.

As truthteller stated, she is a FORMER VP of Casting for HBO. She was an EXECUTIVE at the NETWORK. It's not MANDATORY for EXEC'S to have IMDB credits. There are lots of EXECS that don't have IMDB credits.

Posts: 77 | Location: Los Angeles, from NYC | Registered: August 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Well, no, but she's the one listing projects on her site and taking some kind of credit for them. And she specifically says she was involved with several as "an independent casting director".

Otherwise, if she wasn't involved enough in the actual casting to merit an IMDb nod, why would you want to study with her?

If I were trying to learn programming, I certainly wouldn't study with someone who had been CIO for years - or worse yet, years ago.

I have to say I'm also dismayed looking through this thread to see the "pop-up" posters who just signed up the same day. A bad sign to old hands around here.

Posts: 40 | Location: Erehwon | Registered: September 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have only one post pertaining to this, I won't accept you as a legitimate testimonial.

Guess that didn't do you any good.

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: September 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin:
Well, no, but she's the one listing projects on her site and taking some kind of credit for them. And she specifically says she was involved with several as "an independent casting director".

Otherwise, if she wasn't involved enough in the actual casting to merit an IMDb nod, why would you want to study with her?

If I were trying to learn programming, I certainly wouldn't study with someone who had been CIO for years - or worse yet, years ago.

I have to say I'm also dismayed looking through this thread to see the "pop-up" posters who just signed up the same day. A bad sign to old hands around here.

Again.. there are many Exec's in casting including; Director of Casting, VP of casting, SVP of Casting, and Casting Consultants that don't have imdb credits for casting.. it's not a big deal. They have connections, they have the knowledge of the business. And you're right you wouldn't go learn how to do programming with a CIO... but you will learn how the business works from a CIO.

Most of Amy's "classe" are inspirational, and strictly about business and marketing in the entertainment industry. I've learned a hell of a lot from her. That's just my experience.

Posts: 77 | Location: Los Angeles, from NYC | Registered: August 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of Amy's "classe" are inspirational, and strictly about business and marketing in the entertainment industry. I've learned a hell of a lot from her. That's just my experience.

Really?

quote:
Would you like to nail every audition on the first take and book more jobs than you ever dreamed of?

Sure sounds like acting coaching to me. Unless you seriously believe that business and marketing acumen is what you need to bring with you into the room.

Posts: 40 | Location: Erehwon | Registered: September 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
man...seeing all of these 1st time posters in this thread gave me a very gross feeling... bleh. I get it, people want to project positivity in their company but best post as yourself and talk about what you are about than pretend you're someone else or ask others to post on your behalf. Most of the people who respond to posts of them about here end up leaving with respect.

Posts: 163 | Location: los angeles | Registered: April 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:
quote:
Originally posted by AlexB:
which goes right back around to the workshop debate...

No, what I'm talking about has NOTHING to do with standard CD workshops. I'm all for CD workshops IF they're actually casting stuff.

A lot of casting directors are doing these 4 week "classes" trying to get actors to believe that they're legitimate acting teachers. Most are NOT qualified to replace real acting schools because they were either FAILED actors or "randomly fell into casting" because they didn't know what to do with their non-acting college degree. And most of the CDs who do these 4 weekers either don't cast shit or aren't actively casting and make most of their money "teaching".

Amy Jo Berman has recently popped up teaching weekend intensives and classes. Whether or not her experience as a former CD and former VP of Casting gives her a leg up over other Audition teachers is something that I'm curious to know, myself.

So, she's out of a job with HBO and she wants to supplement her income by ripping off actors. Hey, it happens all the time in this town.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with what pretty much everyone is saying. CD Workshops should not be these super long intensives when all you need is just a chance to perform for them and most importantly try to keep up a good relationship with them in case they do start casting for something else. It's all about networking with these things. Most CD's should not be teaching you how to act, but with that said they can give you great insight on what they're specifically looking for. It may not apply to all CD's but if you ever end up in an audition with them and you've picked their brain a bit before, you would know what they're looking for.

In terms of Amy Jo Berman, she's very positive and I tend to see her as also a career coach. Even without taking classes she has tons of tips that are up to you if you want to take them or leave them, but free is free and you can use a lot of that to your advantage. Everybody in the business, especially during off seasons, are still business people. They become in a way entrepreneurs. So of course they're going to try and get money from you at some point, but if you do your research and see what's right for you, some of these plans can be beneficial.

Whatever your plan may be, set a goal, keep it in mind at all times, and know that you will keep working on it until you get it!

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post