home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    My thoughts on casting director workshops
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My thoughts on casting director workshops Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skybyrd:
Couldn't agree more. CD's are void of any kind of background as actors, so how in the hell can they teach it? They can't it's all fake and empty promises. CD workshops are okay as long as they are free and there are a couple of LA workshops that offer that.

for the millionth time, no serious actor goes to CD workshops to learn. It's just another way of marketing yourself and getting on their radars.

Posts: 1506 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Casting workshops: You get to perform a 3-5 minute commercial about your product in front of a potential buyer. Probably more effective than a postcard.

Posts: 33 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Hey Cinnabon

Did you get your theatrical agent after getting a few credits by doing workshops and getting co-star credits? or did you get co star credits because of other sources?

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anam_G:
Hey Cinnabon

Did you get your theatrical agent after getting a few credits by doing workshops and getting co-star credits? or did you get co star credits because of other sources?

I got my original agent (not the one now) after I booked a primetime co-star by myself. After that, it was a combination of what she got me through her own (limited) connections and others through workshops.

With the current agent I have now, they're pretty much building off the relationships I've had in the past (so I am now being seen for guest stars and series regulars) with a good amount from their own network relations

Posts: 361 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
I think it is important to remember that this business is almost entirely about being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. On this forum, we see people asking the questions "Where should I study acting?" "What school(s) should I attend?" "Should I attend CD workshops?" The fact is, none of that really matters unless you know the right people, or rather, the right people like you.

As with CD workshops, the success of those is entirely dependent upon you standing in front of the right CD and the right time. I know actors who have been attending workshops for the past 2 or 3 years and have not gotten called in once. I know of actors who got their career jumpstarted after attend only ONE CD workshop. So, what I am saying here, is it is about timing and standing in front of the right CD at the right time. Some people have great luck, and others do not.

Posts: 287 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
The truth is that you'll be seen as a bottom feeder.

Psychologically people like to feel like they are in control and that they are making the decision.
If you are paying them money to be seen- what does that subconsciously do? I'd wager that it makes them less interested, because "I found them at a workshop" is less romantic than "I just found them!"

I spent a lot of money on CD workshops when I started out- it got me nothing, but then I got some training and credits and started sending postcards- I got 2 agents (CM and Legit), actual SAG work and most importantly the respect of the CDs who called me in.

Posts: 7 | Location: New York  | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
I think it is important to remember that this business is almost entirely about being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people.

As with CD workshops, the success of those is entirely dependent upon you standing in front of the right CD and the right time. I know actors who have been attending workshops for the past 2 or 3 years and have not gotten called in once. I know of actors who got their career jumpstarted after attend only ONE CD workshop. So, what I am saying here, is it is about timing and standing in front of the right CD at the right time. Some people have great luck, and others do not.

This is one of the more sensible comments you have made instead of some hysterical rant. Its a right place in front of the right person, right time kind of business. There are some people I see on TV and im like "who the hell hired this person, they bring nothing to the screen". But for better or worse somebody somewhere likes them

The problem with this industry is that EVERYBODY thinks they belong or are owed a chance b/c they have for classes, workshops, headshots ect. But its a big game of luck and chance. Pro has physical requirements that limits most humans, but everybody thinks they can act and should be paid for it, even if they absoulutely suck

If someone has had bad luck with workshops, that doesnt mean they're a bad deal for everybody

Posts: 305 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkystiltskin:
The truth is that you'll be seen as a bottom feeder.

Psychologically people like to feel like they are in control and that they are making the decision.
If you are paying them money to be seen- what does that subconsciously do? I'd wager that it makes them less interested, because "I found them at a workshop" is less romantic than "I just found them!"

I spent a lot of money on CD workshops when I started out- it got me nothing, but then I got some training and credits and started sending postcards- I got 2 agents (CM and Legit), actual SAG work and most importantly the respect of the CDs who called me in.

There is no "truth" to this, per se..it's just how you perceive workshops to be. If I was to counter your truth with mine, I've had series regular/guest star auditions that was in part due to workshops. I know this because my agent would tell me that I have an audition they or my manager did not submit me for but was requested specifically by the office.

It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.

Posts: 361 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
So looking at workshops to do. Lisa Beach, Mary Margert Kunze, Jason Stamey. What are your guys opinions on these? Thanks, I just don't know what casting directors or associates to go after

Posts: 165 | Location: LA | Registered: December 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winteriscoming:
So looking at workshops to do. Lisa Beach, Mary Margert Kunze, Jason Stamey. What are your guys opinions on these? Thanks, I just don't know what casting directors or associates to go after

Good talent, don't be a weirdo, have common sense, & consistent and PROFESSIONAL followup afterwards. And also the knowledge that you won't get an audition right away. Some, it may take over a year. Others, literally a week after you met them.

Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
Don't be a weirdo is a pretty good mantra in general. Just gonna throw that out there.

Posts: 840 | Location: New York | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Travern:
quote:
Originally posted by STRUGGLING ARTIST:
I think it is important to remember that this business is almost entirely about being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people.

This is one of the more sensible comments you have made instead of some hysterical rant. Its a right place in front of the right person, right time kind of business. There are some people I see on TV and im like "who the hell hired this person, they bring nothing to the screen". But for better or worse somebody somewhere likes them

The problem with this industry is that EVERYBODY thinks they belong or are owed a chance b/c they have for classes, workshops, headshots ect. But its a big game of luck and chance. Pro has physical requirements that limits most humans, but everybody thinks they can act and should be paid for it, even if they absoulutely suck

If someone has had bad luck with workshops, that doesn't mean they're a bad deal for everybody

Thank you for justifying my stability, Jack. Based on some of your postings, it makes me feel so much better. {insert eye rolling here]

Posts: 287 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
My experience with "workshops" has been overwhelmingly positive. I've made FAR more money as a result of workshops (either directly or indirectly) than I have spent. I got my first AFTRA job through a workshop which led to my SAG card. I've been handed under fives and small co-stars. I have been called in to auditions because my agent submitted me AND the CD saw my work in a workshop.

But you have to be very selective about who you see and when you see them. Know who is doing the session and if they really have any say in casting. Take workshops only with CD's that are ACTIVELY casting the shows you are right for RIGHT NOW. Not someboy who cast a good show 3 years ago. And follow up, follow up, follow up.

CD workshops are A PART of a marketing strategy not the entire marketing plan. It's another method, maybe a shortcut, to getting in front of people who can directly impact your career. But be warned: If you attend a CD workshop you had better be ready to be seen because if you're not you may have don't more harm than good by attending. CD's remember people who are good. They also remember people who suck.

I do understand those who don't like the idea. It's really just a philosophical difference. And if you don't like the idea then DO NOT go to one because you will be carrying an undercurrent of resentment and it will show in your work. You can try to change the whole system by refusing to attend but it obviously won't work because it's been going on for decades. If you are not a fan of workshops then I get that and you have a point. But let's not attack others for choosing a marketing plan that seems to be working for them. Because, from my perspective at least, it pays to advertise.

Posts: 70 | Location: TN | Registered: April 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post