home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Moderated Forums  Hop To Forums  The Working Actor    David Roos @ Jan Alpert Model Management
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Roos @ Jan Alpert Model Management Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted
Anybody have experience with? Positive/Negative? If you've worked with in the past or now can you respond here or if you prefer PM me. Supposed to meet with on Friday.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Location: NYC | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Run. Fast. And as far away as possible.

David Roos is infamous in the commercial/commercial print world. He is the son of Gilla Roos, the highly respected and long deceased founder and former owner of Gilla Roos Talent Agency.

Gilla Roos was once one of the biggest commercial/print agencies in NYC. When Gilla died in...2004?...David took over as president and started the shady practices that resulted in GR closing it's doors in January 2009. More than 100 actors and models didn't get paid for the jobs that they had booked right before the agency closed.

David had been secretly selling model contracts to a factoring company in exchange for cash advances. It's difficult to explain exactly what a factoring company is, but you can research it yourself. Essentially, David was robbing Peter (the models) in order to pay Paul (the factoring company). Many of the clients that had booked models had already paid the agency, but David was holding checks or cashing them in order to pay models who had been waiting longer to get paid. Because the clients had already paid the agency, many of them refused to pay the models directly.

When the recession hit, he abruptly closed the doors and went into hiding for months. Never showed up in court, and never returned calls or emails. He was sued DOZENS of times by the various models and still has dozens of court judgements against him that he has never paid. As far as I know, he's never paid a single one. There were news broadcasts and newspaper articles about this.

How do I know all of this? Well, Gilla Roos was my very first agency when I started modeling and it took me 6 months of back and forth court dates to get paid the $4000 that I had earned right before the doors closed in 2009. I was one of few people that actually got paid. Most of the models just gave up after a few months.

Jan Alpert, who is an elderly shadow of her former self, is the only person that would hire David after this whole fiasco. She is over 70 years old and works out of her apartment in Midtown East. If you still decide to take the meeting, you'll see what I mean. Most likely, the meeting will be at her home. Only new models who don't know any better would work with Jan or David. I met with her before I knew better and while she's a nice enough lady, she doesn't have much pull and her operation is way too small to really help a model get started.

David is scum.

Posts: 13 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have been doing business with Jan Alpert Agency for many years and have found her to be helpful, creative and honest in all aspects of our dealings together. She has supplied us with actors whose careers she has managed and I have never heard anything negative about her business practices or her integrity. On a personal level, your ludicrous description of her is totally off base as she is an exceptionally vivacious lovely person. dirtysocks is off base and is very misinformed.

Posts: 1 | Location: www.newappleproductions.com | Registered: August 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I know what I'm talking about and what I'm saying isn't hearsay. You can easily research David Roos's horrible reputation.

What have I said about Jan that isn't true? You can even visit her website and you'll see that the address that she has listed is an apartment building. I've been there, I know! As I said in my previous post, Jan is a nice lady, but after what David Roos did, I wouldn't trust ANYONE that hired him to work with actors/models. That, to me, shows a lack of character.

I also wouldn't trust the word of anyone that creates an account solely to defend the practices of a known crook.

Posts: 13 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by www.newappleproductions.com:
We have been doing business with Jan Alpert Agency for many years and have found her to be helpful, creative and honest in all aspects of our dealings together. She has supplied us with actors whose careers she has managed and I have never heard anything negative about her business practices or her integrity. On a personal level, your ludicrous description of her is totally off base as she is an exceptionally vivacious lovely person. dirtysocks is off base and is very misinformed.

^
SPAM! If you had any common sense, you'd realize how much of a troll you look like making your one and only post advertising a place or person.

Posts: 345 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post