home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Health and Fitness    What skin care/products do 'celebrities' use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What skin care/products do 'celebrities' use? Login/Join

Russell Crowe
posted
As the title says, I want to know what kind of skin care/products 'celebrities' and those who can afford the best of the best, use..?

I mean, if price wouldn't be an issue, what brands are the best for someone in their 20s who wants to limit the chances of wrinkles coming up when they reach their 30s..?

I currently use Dermalogica, which was suggested by a dermatologist, but I would like to know if there are any other brands that are used and popular among the hollywood 'gang'?

Scientific evidence that the products actually work would of course be a plus. :P

Posts: 37 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
There's really no way of knowing as just because it's mentioned in an interview or something, doesn't mean it's true. Could just mean they're getting paid to plug a product!

That being said, I recommend you visit www.makeupalley.com. It has an enormous database of product reviews, and while some reviews are fakes, most are not!

Also, wear sunscreen! That's the best advice for someone in their twenties. Sunscreen, sleep, big sunglasses, and maybe not SO much alcohol. And keep processed foods to a minimum, if any.

Sorry for not answering your question, but I do think you would do just as well on your own. :-)

Posts: 98 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Degprinsessan:
As the title says, I want to know what kind of skin care/products 'celebrities' and those who can afford the best of the best, use..?

I mean, if price wouldn't be an issue, what brands are the best for someone in their 20s who wants to limit the chances of wrinkles coming up when they reach their 30s..?

I currently use Dermalogica, which was suggested by a dermatologist, but I would like to know if there are any other brands that are used and popular among the hollywood 'gang'?

Scientific evidence that the products actually work would of course be a plus. :P

I'm pretty vain so I use the best there is and spent hours and hours doing research ... you definitely don't need to be a celeb to buy the best either.... Many celebs may not even be using the best sunscreens since only those in the "know" really do...

The best sunscreens are those high in PPD, NOT just SPF. American sunscreens are inferior to European ones when it comes to protection against UVA rays. SPF only protects against burning... The BEST sunscreens are from Europe; La Roche Posay, Bioderma etc. If you read cosmetic forums such as Makeupalley, read the reviews on Euro sunscreens or ask on their skincare board; they can determine the approximate PPD of Euro sunscreens based on ingredients. You have to buy the Euro ones through trusted sellers on Ebay or through Euro sites and pay extra for shipping. In terms of European sunscreens, one of the best ones right now on the market is Anthelios SX; you can buy it at CVS; it has a PPD of 15 which is the highest in the U.S

In addition, you need to use a Vitamin C serum underneath your sunscreen which makes it 8x more effective. The only serum that has tons of studies to back it up including medical studies is Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. It is the best serum that money can buy and it's not THAT expensive. It's pricey at $146 but it's not as if only celebs can buy it; normal people use it too. If you want something more affordable, a good alternative is Cosmetic Skin Solutions Vit C&E serum.. the only difference between that one and the Skinceuticals one is the Ph balance but ingredients are the same...

As for night time, use a retinol/retin-A cream or gel.... it is the only thing proven scientifically to reduce wrinkles... Backed up by medical science.

Expensive creams like Creme De La Mer etc are nice to have but they only moisturize.. The only thing that truly prevents wrinkles is top of the line sunscreen, vitamin c serum and retinol/retin-a. Retin-A makes your skin sensitive to sun and thus a good sunscreen is a must. Many people buffer their Retin A with moisturizer too if its too strong at first and it's fine to use a fancy moisturizer 30 min after ur retin-a has absorbed...

For fun, I also like some Ole Henriksen stuff... and Kiehl's... I also am addicted to my Clarisonic; it helps to make serums and skincare products absorb better and work so much better. I'm also a BIG fan of oils; I like Jose Maran Argain Oil... I will put that on like 30 min after my Retin-A has absorbed... I also like the beta peel pads from Dr Dennis Grossman...

If celebs go to the derm the #1 thing any derm will recommend is a top of the line sunscreen, vit c serum and retin a....

Posts: 99 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Wow, Jackie, I think I just fell in love with you!

So basically my concern when it comes to the sun:
I'm originally from Sweden, where we get very little sun, so I haven't been using much sun screen in my life. I did use SPF 15 over the summer for my face though and still managed to get a tan. But I'm assuming that you shouldn't really tan at all? Stay in the shadow? I love the sun (natural sun, I never go to the tanming salons) since it's so dark in Scandinavia for 6 months a year. Besides I prefer a tan over the vampire-look...

I don't smoke, drink and I moisturize a lot. But yeah, I'm interested in some better stuff for my skin. What you said sound nice, I've heard a lot of good things about Skinceutials (sp?)! I'll look it up.

But again, do I need to sty away from the sun from now on..? Frowner

Posts: 37 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
The sun ages you... You may be young now and look hot tan but when you get old the damage from all of those years will damage your skin... There is always sun; even when it's raining or cloudy... the UVA and UVB rays are still there... It doesn't have to be "summertime in full effect" in order for your skin to be exposed to the sun... Personally I ALWAYS wear sunscreen.. even when at home because my apartment gets a lot of natural sunlight through the windows and my desk is facing the window...

Too much sun exposure and in 20 years your skin will be a leathery mess and you'll get hyperpigmentation (brown spots). Personally I always wear sunscreen... I'm sure that even with wearing sunscreen you'll still get enough Vitamin D through accidental exposure...

I use bronzer every single day because I also like tan look. I use Nars Laguna. My face still tans a bit despite using Anthelios SX. When I want my legs to look tan I use self-tanner which is safe.

The celebs that take good care of themselves use bronzer and self-tanner. I've read 100's of magazines and used to spend HOURS reading beauty blogs and forum so I sort of consider myself an "amateur expert" when it comes to makeup, etc and what type of products celebs use.

Yea a lot of celebs tan in the sun too but they are stupid and will look leathery like Pam Anderson in a few decades.

Since you asked about celebs in particular, here is an article about Skinceuticals http://inyourface.ocregister.c...faces-critics/32573/ Btw, I had no idea it was popular with celebs. I learned about it on Makeupalley because everyone is always talking about it on the skincare boards.

Here is another good thread.. just start on page 8 and work backwards http://www.essentialdayspa.com...order=asc&&start=175 Btw, that board EssentialDayspa and Makeupalley are great places to read about skincare and such.

http://www.usmagazine.com/cele...creens-2012255/22764 However, a lot of the sunscreens listed here are inferior... I wouldn't use them. They have to be high in PPD, not just SPF. Apparently many of these celebs are not using the "best" either... Just do a search in google for "Sunscreen PPD" in order to learn more.

Posts: 99 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Windows usually block a significant portion of UVA/UVB rays. Why'd you think we don't get sunburnt in cars?

Posts: 152 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yonie:
Windows usually block a significant portion of UVA/UVB rays. Why'd you think we don't get sunburnt in cars?

Nope, not nearly enough, I am MORE tan on the left hand side of my arms then my right due to driving. The sun coming through windows is still VERY damaging. I wear sunscreen even when at home because the sun still PEEKS through the blinds....

Normal glass blocks all of UVB but allows UVA to come through. Both of these rays are harmful. Remember:

UVB

UVB is considered the main sunburn ray
It causes skin cancer and sun damage
The SPF in a sunscreen tells you how well the product protects you from UVB

UVA

Is the UV ray in tanning beds
It penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB playing a big role in sun damage including wrinkles
It can cause skin cancer

If you want windows that block out 99% of UVA and UVB rays you need to purchase UV film; these are sheets that block out rays. Most NORMAL cars and office building do not have these...

Here is what a doctor had to say about it:

For my patients who sit in direct sunlight coming in through window glass, I recommend wearing a mineral sunscreen and clothing that blocks UV rays (click here to read about sun protective clothing). If their windows claim to block UV rays I point out that a very tiny amount of UV still gets through. As I mentioned above, it’s possible to block 99.9% of UV rays, but even if their windows are that good, the 0.1% can add up at 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Wrinkles, age spots and skin cancer just ain’t worth it!

-----------------------------------

I don't take any chances with my skin when it comes to aging and wrinkles....

Also keep in mind that MOST normal windows do NOT block out 99% of rays; that is only with windows that have been treated. Chances are your car windows do not have this type of window coating.

Also... Read this

Experts say up to 80% of skin aging is due to UVA rays.1
Over 30 years, the left side of this teacher�s face aged faster due to UVA
exposure through a window in her classroom. Just compare the two sides!
Photos: Professor J. Leyden.
Photos not retouched.

http://www.anthelios.com/anthelios-uvraydamage.html

UVA rays pass through windows and glass - unlike UVB rays.

Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
And from cancer.org http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/C...ction-u-v-protection

"Some UV rays can also pass through windows. Typical car, home, and office windows block most of the UVB rays but a smaller portion of UVA rays, so even if you don't feel you're getting burned your skin may still get some damage. Tinted windows help block more UVA rays, but this depends on the type of tinting. UV radiation that comes through windows probably doesn't pose a great risk to most people unless they spend long periods of time close to a window that receives direct sunlight." "Some UV rays can also pass through windows. Typical car, home, and office windows block most of the UVB rays but a smaller portion of UVA rays, so even if you don't feel you're getting burned your skin may still get some damage. Tinted windows help block more UVA rays, but this depends on the type of tinting. UV radiation that comes through windows probably doesn't pose a great risk to most people unless they spend long periods of time close to a window that receives direct sunlight.".

Most of us spend HOURS in our cars in L.A... so the damage does add up. IT ADDS UP. <-----------

You posted inaccurate information Yonie... What you posted is not accurate at all.

Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do get sunburnt in the car. And my left arm has a different color than my right arm because of all the driving.

Posts: 60 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trillian:
quote:

I do get sunburnt in the car. And my left arm has a different color than my right arm because of all the driving.

EXACTLY. My left arm is also more tanned than my right even WITH sunscreen.

There have been university studies that documented sun damage for taxi drivers and the difference between damage from the side that received more damage due to closer proximity to the side window (on the left side) is staggering...

Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I do not get tanned if I leave my windows up.

You're putting words in my mouth. I did not claim that windows block all rays. I said; a significant portion.

May I also point out a very interesting observation? People seem to feel the need to MARK every other WORD as if to PUNCHLINE their POINT. You don't need to. Let us apply our own voice to your text, instead of having it be written like bad commercial copy.

Posts: 152 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hilary Swank
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I also point out a very interesting observation? People seem to feel the need to MARK every other WORD as if to PUNCHLINE their POINT. You don't need to. Let us apply our own voice to your text, instead of having it be written like bad commercial copy.

I am entitled to write in any way I WANT (including capitalizing every other word). It's unfortunate if you don't like it but you do actually think I would change the way I type to please you?

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I have been using Erno Laszlo since my mid thirties, so about 6 years. I have good skin genes but I swear right now NO wrinkles, I get carded all at the grocery store.
Though I love Erno I am looking for something comparable that costs less. Mostly for the skin toner which runs $30. Any ideas are appreciated. I like something strong but doesn't leave residue and skin oily.I really like the Erno Toner...

Posts: 29 | Location: Los Angeles/ Orange County | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
most use beetween kiehls and perricone sephora

Posts: 12 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arianne L Clark
posted Hide Post
Not sure about celebrities, but i use olive leaf extract olive leaf extract for healthy glowing skin without side effects

Posts: 1 | Location: CA, USA. | Registered: December 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post