home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Health and Fitness    More of a mental health question...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More of a mental health question... Login/Join

Sean Penn
Picture of Snuffleupagus
posted
What helps you calm down, or relieve stress? How do you cope when you have no one to turn to? Just wondering what works for you.

"I think I've still got a bit of a sado-masochistic streak in me, because if I'm not going to be restricted by corsets and covered in lace, then I still wind up wearing an ape-mask over my face. I do wonder how I get myself in these situations! "-Helena Bonham Carter

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington | Registered: June 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
Picture of fischy500
posted Hide Post
some for me----

Sitting at the beach listening to the ocean.

Consciously taking breaths and listening to my exagerrated breathing...in/out like at the dr. office

Sometimes listening to certain music

Sitting at the dogpark watching all the dogs playing

Vacation planning (even if i dont actually make it onto the trip)

"Choose your direction, then act with all your heart. Tomorrow belongs to those who take action today."

Posts: 64 | Location: NYC to LA and back to NYC | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
Picture of Mystique
posted Hide Post
When there's no one to talk to I usually go on BS, and read what people say, and I reply to some things.

I would also check out my emails, and various other message boards.

When I am depress, I would listen to my favorite music. Or I would sit on my couch and go to sleep. I sleep when I am depress.

To calm down I drink tons of water and exercise. That's when i feel fat, I exercise.

----------------------------------------------------

I have a personality. Don't care if it's a fallacy.

Posts: 493 | Location: In a Dream... | Registered: October 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
Picture of JimChevallier
posted Hide Post
Breathe....

If you have something on your mind and no one to listen, write your thoughts down (this has very seriously been shown to do good, supposedly as good as talk therapy).

Don't neglect naps and getting enough sleep in general.

Jim Chevallier
http://www.chezjim.com

Posts: 444 | Location: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
Picture of Melissa B
posted Hide Post
Xanax Wink

Posts: 4 | Location: Santa Clarita, CA  | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listening to The Beatles usually helps me.
Being proactive in my career usually helps a lot. For example, if I'm in a funk because I haven't had a job/audition in a while, instead of just being depressed about it I'll get off my ass and do something to MAKE that job or audition come my way. Could be anything, enroll in a class/workshop, find a new audition monologue, do some mailings, etc. Anything proactive like that will generally make me feel much better than just sitting around getting older.

Posts: 1 | Location: PA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of Persephone.Roman
posted Hide Post
belly breathing!

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of VictorEmanuel
posted Hide Post
Boxing on the heavy bag always helps me relief stress...just pretend you're beating on the person or problem that's upseting you. I usually feel better after that. It doesn't make the problem go away but it helps take some of the edge off

Posts: 2 | Location: Angelino | Registered: February 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Morgan Freeman
Picture of Prospective
posted Hide Post
Listening to Eminem and/or playing with toys. Naps help me also. :-D

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up everytime we do." Confucius

Posts: 50 | Location: Houston | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
getting hammered with a bunch of friends?

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
Picture of Melissa B
posted Hide Post
Small amount of beer or wine helps you relax without getting full on drunk.
Just remember to make up for it by eating less and spending more time at the gym. It's worth it Wink

Posts: 4 | Location: Santa Clarita, CA  | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Praying or meditating helps me

Posts: 3 | Location: Redlands, CA | Registered: March 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
Picture of can8ian
posted Hide Post
I like going for a run (or walk if your not a runner) at the beach. It engages the breath, allows your mind to wander, releases endorphins and serotonin, lots of good stuff! Or, if you live in the LA area, go hike one of the canyons, pretty inspirational views up there!

"Acting is all about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." George Burns

Posts: 5 | Location: santa monica | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long walks in NYC =)

All the best,
Cristina Cho
http://www.cristinacho.net/

Posts: 1 | Location: Jersey / NYC | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
Picture of JimChevallier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snuffleupagus:
How do you cope when you have no one to turn to?

You always have yourself, and that's the place to start.

I favor at least casual meditation, which is to say, simply sitting still with your eyes close, perhaps with a monosyllabic phrase repeated in your head or out loud, and sometimes with music on.

If you're new to this, and a bit down, you might find you tear up when you do this. The idea then is not to give up but to get past this - otherwise, you'll spend your busier moments just repressing those hard feelings.

Ultimately, you're never so lonely as when you're separate from yourself. Start by finding time to connect inside.

Otherwise, basic exercise - even simple walking - can work wonders. And deep breathing, with or without meditation.

If you're REALLY stressed, cut back on or eliminate caffeine. And don't for pete's sake resort to alcohol or drugs. They might dull you momentarily but they'll aim your whole psyche downwards in the long run. So called "comfort food" isn't great either - healthy eating leads to a healthy spirit, and is especially important when you're stressed.

Jim Chevallier
http://www.chezjim.com

Posts: 444 | Location: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post