home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Health and Fitness    Learn how to do makeup?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learn how to do makeup? Login/Join

posted
Hello!

I just got an offer to sign with an agency, and was told quite frankly that I needed to wear more makeup. Although I put on makeup for the meeting, considering the fact that it is summer and I'm not a very makeup-savvy person, it obviously wasn't enough.

How do I learn how to do the kind of good, simple, but makeup-y makeup an actor needs for meetings/auditions?! I just never developed the skills.

Or, what are the best brands of makeup? What do YOU use?

Posts: 5 | Location: New York | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Watch tutorials on Youtube... theres millions of tutorials on there by beauty gurus. You can also read beauty blogs such as MakeupGeek etc and read makeup forums such as Makeupalley etc. Makeupalley is the best site btw to read reviews on products.

Personally I'm rather high maintenance; I use MakeupForever HD and Nars Sheer Glow. Those are my favorite foundations... for blush I like Nars Orgasm and Deep Throat... I generally only use high-end stuff but that's because buying makeup is a "hobby" of mine.

For eye shadows I like Urban Decay. I find they surpass MAC in terms of pigmentation and smoothness; I highly recommend the Naked and Naked 2 Palettes... They are really good values; only $48 for tons of neutral shadows.

For lipglosses I like Nars and Chanel.

Best eyelash curler for me is Shiseido and Shu Umuera. For mascara I'm actually ok with the cheap stuff, Maybelline Full & Soft or Voluminous one by One.. However Dior also makes great mascaras (Extase and Diorshow) and I always use the Diorshow Maximizer (lash primer) no matter what mascara I use...

In terms of favorite brand I would probably have to say Nars... I used to use MAC when I was younger but I grew out of it.

However, I'm a makeup whore so I use stuff from lots of brands.... MAC, Nars, Makeupforever, Too Faced.... I'm always buying trying out new things...

Oh, Too Faced and Urban Decay make the best eye shadow primers which is a must if you are wearing shadows (makes your eye makeup last 10 plus hours ) etc.

I mainly do my shopping at Sephora...

Posts: 100 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
High end is lovely, but if you're practicing, feel completely free to use drugstore brands. Wet & Wild is DIRT cheap and has actually come a really long way in the past five years or so. ELF is even cheaper but is way more hit or miss on quality so I wouldn't go that cheap, really.

Did they give you any hints *or say outright) what it is they'd like you to downplay or play up? I mean, do they want your eyes to pop more or do you need to, maybe, even out your skin?

Is your look more character or lead?

I'll add that, as you're experimenting, be super careful with stuff like foundations, blushes, etc. A bad skin reaction can take a long time to heal...

I personally use Estee Lauder Double Wear for foundation, Maybelline (the one with the teeny brush) mascara, Sonia Kashuk eyeshadow (she puts out a terrific neutral palette - it's wonderful and MATTE which can be harder to find), a neutral ash brown brow pencil, Shiseido concealer, Wet & Wild bronzer (only when I need it) and for a "my lips but better" lip, right now, it's either Lorac Couture gloss or Bobbi Brown Desert Plum. For a red lip, it's MAC Ruby Woo.

Posts: 130 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
Also, if you want someone to actually teach you how to do it then I would recommend going to a GOOD high end counter like Bobbi Brown, Nars or Chanel (not MAC) and have a professional makeup artist give you a makeover and go over it step by step with you. You'll have to pay for it... make sure it's a pro artist and not a sales associate. You have to make an appointment.

When it comes to applying makeup it's all about the brushes. It's ok to use drug store products; it's all in the application and the brushes. For brushes I prefer MAC and for foundation the Sephora HD #55 brush... MAC 187 brushes are good for foundations too. It's all about the crease, smudge and angled brushes for eyes. If you are on a budget Sonia Kashuk and Eco Tools are all good products. Personally I just prefer high end; that's me.

I started wearing makeup and playing with it when I was like 13 so it's like breathing to me; I love it and can't live without it. Putting it on is an an art form for me; I enjoy the process and will put it on even when I'm not going anywhere just for fun because I love it.

I also find highlighters a MUST for that glowy ethereal look... I cannot leave the house without highlighter on my cheekbones and inner corner of my eyes to make me look awake. Best are Nars Albatross and Dior in Amber Diamond. For my inner eye corner I use a Josie Maran one (I forgot the name).

For brows I use Anastasia powder in conjunction with a MAC brow pencil...

For bronzer I use Nars Laguna... I also like to contour my cheekbones and nose with a MAC contouring powder in order to create a more chiseled face and the illusion of a narrower nose. Makeup is wonderful; you can create the illusion of an instant nose job (slimmer etc) by just contouring and highlighting.

I am guessing her agent just wants her to look "polished" which means even skin, playing up your eyes, gloss. You can wear a full face without looking made up.

Personally I do not leave house unless I have makeup on.

Posts: 100 | Location: LA | Registered: June 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Totally agree on good brushes. I couldn't believe the difference, for example, when I started using a stipple/kabuki brush (by Philosophy - only $25) on my foundation and concealer.

Oh, and depending on your eyebrows, using a brow gel or clear mascara or something is lovely. I tweeze and shape my brows but the hairs do sometimes still fall out of place and look awkward. If you use a waxy brow product, it shouldn't be an issue, but if you use a pencil, then a little something (hell, even some hairspray on a clean, new toothbrush!) keeps them in place nicely.

Do you do your brows? Makes a huge difference towards looking polished if that's the look you're going for. Huge! Trimmed, excess random hairs tweezed or waxed away, etc. Whatever natural shape your brows are, they can be cleaned up, (if you don't already!)

Heh. This is also a fun topic for me!

@Jackie - something I've been wondering about that you probably know is about makeup for on camera but not on set just in a classroom or audition...

I mean, I do a good face for everyday but am seeing myself in the footage for my on-camera classes and it looks like I'm wearing nothing. I mean, I want to look natural, but any tips for a good face when you're being shot under mainly fluorescent lights, with a mid range HD camera?

Posts: 130 | Location: Chicago | Registered: January 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys rock! Thanks for the help!

I'm a young lead type, 15-24ish age range. She just wants me to look polished, not overwrought.

Honestly, you've just taken a lot of stress off my back! I really appreciate it. Keep it comin', y'all! I feel like the right makeup for the right moment (this is my legit agent, commercial maybe would be a different thing) is important.

Posts: 5 | Location: New York | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
You said you did wear makeup at that meeting - tell us what you were wearing and what you normally do.

Is your skin clear? Acne prone at all or sensitive? How about those brows? What is your coloring?

Heh - I feel like I'm interrogating you! :-)

posted Hide Post
Haha, no, it's great!

I have combination skin-- slightly acne-prone but generally clear, slightly oily in t-zone, not sensitive at all. I have a pale-ish complexion, honey blonde hair and gray blue eyes. Because I read so young (and she called me in after seeing me play 14yrs old, I tend to not go too overboard. Although to be fair, as she said, "What teenager doesn't wear makeup?")

The day of the meeting I did my normal thing, but a little bit more. Not enough more, obviously! Haha.

I have a nice foundation, Dior, which I wore, with a Bare minerals powder over. I used a blush stick, light pink, on my cheekbones.

The most confusing part for me is my eyes. My lids are very oily, and eye makeup doesn't seem to last for very long, or, especially in the heat, it sweats off. Plus I never know what colors to use. For the meeting, I wore a little bit of brown eyeliner on the top, gold/copper eyeshadow, and black mascara. I probably underwore eye makeup because I was so concerned about it sweating off and ending up under my eyes Frowner

THANK YOU!!

posted Hide Post
Oh, and also, I'm blessed with good eyebrows. I don't tweeze or wax or anything, but they are subtle and well-shaped. That's one thing I don't have to worry about-- but the only one!!

Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by becca.b:
Haha, no, it's great!

I have combination skin-- slightly acne-prone but generally clear, slightly oily in t-zone, not sensitive at all. I have a pale-ish complexion, honey blonde hair and gray blue eyes. Because I read so young (and she called me in after seeing me play 14yrs old, I tend to not go too overboard. Although to be fair, as she said, "What teenager doesn't wear makeup?")

The day of the meeting I did my normal thing, but a little bit more. Not enough more, obviously! Haha.

I have a nice foundation, Dior, which I wore, with a Bare minerals powder over. I used a blush stick, light pink, on my cheekbones.

The most confusing part for me is my eyes. My lids are very oily, and eye makeup doesn't seem to last for very long, or, especially in the heat, it sweats off. Plus I never know what colors to use. For the meeting, I wore a little bit of brown eyeliner on the top, gold/copper eyeshadow, and black mascara. I probably underwore eye makeup because I was so concerned about it sweating off and ending up under my eyes Frowner

THANK YOU!!

Urban Decay Primer Potion makes your eye makeup stay on for like 13 hours despite sweat, 100 degrees etc.... Too Face Eye Insurance is good too. I never put eye makeup on without using primer first. Helps eyeliner stay on too.

Wearing eye makeup without primer is so 1980's.... lol Thanks to primer now you never have to reapply or worry about creasing etc.

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Definitely a shadow primer will help you out. Aside from hair color (I'm brunette) we have similar coloring but since you play so young, I wouldn't wear much more than you already are, really. I'd bet it could come down to a good lipstick, a little more mascara on curled lashes and maybe a few strokes of an ash brown/taupe pencil on your brows just to look finished.

You've got the right idea in your shadow color - any shadows with orange tones will make the blue POP and I bet that's what they'd like to see. Check out shades in terra cotta, clay, oh, and silvery taupe shades actually make my eyes very blue too (mine are also gray blue, with a bit of green).

Practice really working the liner into the base of your lashes - makes lashes seem twice as thick! I've even had luck placing tiny dots of liquid liner in between each lash.

Oh! And for even extra insurance, you can use a neutral shadow or face powder over the primer on your lids before you use any shadows. I know it seems like a lot of steps, but really doesn't take very long.

Give yourself more credit, too. The makeup you described wearing seems completely appropriate! Just play with lipsticks and the shadow primer. :-)

posted Hide Post
Thanks so so so much, you guys!

I'm going to go in and sign my contract this week looking like a rock star. Smiler

posted Hide Post
Unauthorized ad

Posts: 2 | Location: NYC | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spam

Beth D Spray

Posts: 2 | Location: Irondale | Registered: September 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post