home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Health and Fitness    Veneers for straighter teeth look
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veneers for straighter teeth look Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted
Hi,

I was wondering if Dental veneers can help to make teeth look straighter? Or is it only to make them look whiter and hide gaps?

The reason I'm asking is because I was thinking of getting Invisalign now, but I will need veneers some time in the future anyways, so I'm not sure if I should get Invisalign or save up for veneers? I wish I can get both, but budget is tight and I need to choose.

Thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Gaps can be corrected with braces. Veneers are expensive, and not always great looking.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yonie:
Gaps can be corrected with braces. Veneers are expensive, and not always great looking.

What do you mean "not great looking"? Is that for real? As long as I was aware, nearly every celebrity has got them done.

I thought: veneers = perfect looking teeth.

They are expensive though.

Posts: 10 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
Some get what is essentially rabbit teeth, others get a slightly odd look to their smile or talking mouth. Check Don LaFontaine, or Jim Carrey for a slightly odd look during either a smile, or talking.

Posts: 276 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
I just had them done because my front uppers and lowers rubbed together and the edges were getting chipped.

I had to do braces for a couple of years to create enough space for the new veneers, hopefully you won't have to do that. I did a combination of metal and invisalign. There are pros and cons for each.

Veneers are done by chipping and filing your old tooth down to little more than a peg and then slipping a tooth manufactured from a mold over the stub and gluing it in place. That way the new tooth is connected to your jaw with original bone. This, as opposed to an implant, which is actually attached to your jawbone directly. I had temporary veneers for a few weeks as the final veneers aren't produced until the teeth are filed down. The filing process is uncomfortable and smells terrible and "Deliverance" comes to mind when you look at those stubs in the mirror.

Veneers go badly when you replace your original teeth with ones that are too large and too white. You can end up looking like a shark or a chipmunk if you make the wrong choice.

They are expensive, runs around $1200 per tooth. More in Beverly Hills, less in South Central. Shop and choose wisely.

Posts: 54 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Bonding is another alternative to veneers.

Cosmetic dental work is ex-pen-sive. I'd ask yourself if you really, really need it in the context of your acting career. Are you an insanely attractive classic Hollywood lead? You might want to since that's part of "the package."

But being a great actor doesn't mean having perfect everythings. Toni Collette doesn't have an Aquafresh set of pearlies, but in a way they add to her character.

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChesterM:
I just had them done because my front uppers and lowers rubbed together and the edges were getting chipped.

I had to do braces for a couple of years to create enough space for the new veneers, hopefully you won't have to do that. I did a combination of metal and invisalign. There are pros and cons for each.

Veneers are done by chipping and filing your old tooth down to little more than a peg and then slipping a tooth manufactured from a mold over the stub and gluing it in place. That way the new tooth is connected to your jaw with original bone. This, as opposed to an implant, which is actually attached to your jawbone directly. I had temporary veneers for a few weeks as the final veneers aren't produced until the teeth are filed down. The filing process is uncomfortable and smells terrible and "Deliverance" comes to mind when you look at those stubs in the mirror.

Veneers go badly when you replace your original teeth with ones that are too large and too white. You can end up looking like a shark or a chipmunk if you make the wrong choice.

They are expensive, runs around $1200 per tooth. More in Beverly Hills, less in South Central. Shop and choose wisely.

Actually they are really costly... In same cost you can even replace or fix your missing teeth through dental implant procedure. Perhaps agree with you on the point veneer are for looking purpose basically. Smiler
Also veneer needs high maintenance, and need to be replaced!

Frank Eris

Posts: 1 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ 85258 | Registered: August 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of Ron Kagan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tr6varrati:
Bonding is another alternative to veneers.

Cosmetic dental work is ex-pen-sive. I'd ask yourself if you really, really need it in the context of your acting career. Are you an insanely attractive classic Hollywood lead? You might want to since that's part of "the package."

But being a great actor doesn't mean having perfect everythings. Toni Collette doesn't have an Aquafresh set of pearlies, but in a way they add to her character.

Another example is 'Megan' (Jessica Paré) from Madmen --

Posts: 18 | Location: NYC | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of Ron Kagan
posted Hide Post
Oh and this article from Backstage's Sister-Publication, The Hollywood Reporter, makes the point really well:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.c...in-true-blood-338826

Posts: 18 | Location: NYC | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk to a bunch of dentists and bring photos of what you think are successful and others that are not successful and explain yourself to the dentist. That way they understand your concerns. Look at their work for past patients.

Posts: 1 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: April 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Anna's comment a lot: "If you have a whole bunch of work done with your teeth and your face and your boobs, then you’re only going to play modern people. That’s a big choice to make. Very limiting.”

I don't have a gap, but the opposite problem, slightly too much tooth so one is crooked... self consciousness has me wishing they were never like that---not that I'm proud of bad teeth, but as someone who loves history, if I was forced to pick one, I'd definitely prefer such a characteristic over being typecast as "modern".

~ semper fidelis ~

Posts: 1 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
Naomi Watts has just one crooked tooth too. I hadn't thought about the modern roles part at all, it's a really good point.

I used to have a massive gap in my teeth they were just way too small. My dentist didn't want me to fix it but I did. Veneers would have cost minimum $14k and they often do look fake. They're just too perfect. I wound up having bonding done and I love it! It looks very real. My teeth look really nice but still have character.

Posts: 22 | Location: Boston | Registered: December 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are various types of dental veneers like Porcelain or composite resins and if we do only after taking the proper advice then will surely work. So, find a professional local dentist and then go head. It will give the best results.

Posts: 2 | Location: San Jose | Registered: February 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
remember Hillary Duff's bad Veneers?

http://blog.modsquaddental.com...g=bad-dental-veneers

Posts: 112 | Location: Gulf Coast | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post