home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Auditions    Actor Blogs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actor Blogs Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AndSheWhispered:
I came across this thread a few weeks ago, and it inspired me to start my own blog! Check it out if you have the time, and let me know what you think! Smiler I only have one post on it now (talking about my first audition I had recently). But I'll be posting another post tomorrow! Thanks! Smiler
Looking forward to more!

http://brittanyjoyal.blogspot.com/

Posts: 15 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Keep them coming!
Does anyone know Vlogs too? I so far know about AnitaBeMe, who is both funny and informative.

Posts: 15 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started my own blog. My perspective is unique because I live and work in the Southeast region. Feel free to check it out!

www.actingunveiled.com

Tips for the actor as told by an actress.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: January 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actingunveiled:
I just started my own blog. My perspective is unique because I live and work in the Southeast region. Feel free to check it out!

You give really bad advice in your audition section with regards to what off book IN AN AUDIITON is.

You ALWAYS hold your sides whether you need it or not.

Why?
1. Brainfarts DO happen!

2. They might have you start mid way and redirect you.

3. Having no sides in your hand can give the wrong idea that you only know how to do it one way. Auditions are NOT complete performances unless you worked with the director beforehand.

Posts: 2124 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truthteller-

I responded to you in the comments section of the article to which you're referring. It's quite lengthy, so I won't repost it here.

Long story short, you are just plain wrong to say it's "really bad advice" to advise you be off book in an audition. Though your use of the term "brain fart" is quite eloquent, all three of your claims are unfounded and have no bearing on the benefit of being off book.

www.actingunveiled.com

Tips for the actor as told by an actress.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southeast US | Registered: January 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by actingunveiled:
Truthteller-

I responded to you in the comments section of the article to which you're referring. It's quite lengthy, so I won't repost it here.

Long story short, you are just plain wrong to say it's "really bad advice" to advise you be off book in an audition. Though your use of the term "brain fart" is quite eloquent, all three of your claims are unfounded and have no bearing on the benefit of being off book.

Well, you obviously haven't auditioned in LA or NY. I've had MANY name film/tv casting directors have me start mid way and do it differently. When I memorize, I don't remember the geography of my lines.

The reality is you normally get the sides LESS THAN A DAY in advance so most of the time you aren't able to be 100% off book. Even if you are off book, sides can also be a legal prop (with your cell phone). It can be your gun, your file, etc. It's a hell lot better using that than miming.

Psychologically, if you saw an actor without sides in an AUDITION, you would probably think "oh great. He probably only knows how to do it one way" or "how long till he or she screws up?"

And LA/NY CD casting directors are NOT cool with you saying "line."

Posts: 2124 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
It may be different where you are, but in LA I was actually yelled at on w for letting my CHILD go in without sides! There's a fine line as far as when kids are old enough, obviously a pre-reader can't, but that CD let me know that day inhad clearly missed t for that kid!! its definitely the way here in LA. I still remember a producers session where hey asked each FOUR year old "don't you want to bring in your lines" before the kid went in. Each time mom said "he doesn't read yet" and yet they still asked!

I agree with all of Truthtellers points, BTW, I don't see how what you say here or on your blog truly addresses his points.

And you keep punching the spending "time" with the sides. Well seriously in LA you get sides 6 hours before sometimes! A day is a LOT OF TIME in LA.

Posts: 589 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: December 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For parents of young actors, you can check out:
http://youryoungactor.com

I talk about experiences and information related to acting for kids and teens. My daughter is a teen actor in L.A.

Debbie

Posts: 2 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Okay - I know these posts are a bit old, but I wanted to add my two cents, regarding "to hold or not to hold." (And yes, I'm here in LA.) Also I assume we're talking about theatrical auditions, as commercial ones with dialogue have it on cards next to the camera.

I will almost always hold the sides (even if I feel comfortable with the lines). However, I've run into many situations where it makes no difference or can even work against you. Let's say - and this does happen - that the role shoots the next day or day after. The CD (or director) wants to know that you have that puppy down. Now. Trust me - in the often fast world of television - if two people both give a good audition, the one who is obviously off-book will have the edge on getting cast.

Of course this can be conveyed by holding the sides and not having to glance at them.

And regarding what truthteller said, I once had a CD compliment me for rolling up the sides and using them as a flashlight (in a dark house). I'm just glad I didn't need to unroll them to grab a line!

Posts: 6 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really funny video some actor friends of mine put together! Basically what NOT to do in the audition studio. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jmTWDrfSg

Posts: 5 | Location: New York City | Registered: September 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post