home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Auditions    how hard do you question yourself after a bad audition..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how hard do you question yourself after a bad audition.. Login/Join

Sean Penn
posted
So, I just had a bad audition...wasn't my performance, more like I should up 30 minutes late...inexcusable I know. Worst part is I don't have an agent and it was one of the best agencies in town..and being late messed up my mental process. I also hate the question "tell me about yourself" I have no idea how to answer that, I live a boring, non exciting life...

I had a monologue to perform, it was something new..didn't have enough time to work on it..but being late messed me up. So, how would you bounce back after a bad audition with a talent agency.

Posts: 165 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learn from it and be more prepared next time. You can't change the past, all you can do is change what you do going forward. Make it your goal to never be late, no matter how small the project you're auditioning for. You want to make being early your habit. Have a monologue you know by heart and can perform at any time. As far as the whole "tell me about yourself" question - look at it as a chance to talk yourself up! Be confident, show them some of your personality. If you think you live a boring, non-exciting life, you're already screwed when you get to that question. You're an actor, how could your life be boring? Mention acting related stuff you are doing too - theater, films, training you're doing, anything that will show them that you're staying active and working hard on your career.

Posts: 14 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glenn Close
posted Hide Post
To each and every point you make in this post, ask yourself the question: "why?"

Why were you late?

Why did it mess up your mental process?

Why is your life boring?

Why did you not work enough on the monologue?

Grasping the fundamental answers to these questions puts you well on the way toward professionalism.

The first answers you give yourself are false. Dig deeper. Commit.

Posts: 284 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: August 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
very hard , and also discipline myself harshly...
mistakes happen though...

Posts: 25 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Yup..If they really want me though, I don't think being help will be the deciding factor..but still..anyway, I sent in my Thank You Letter and moved one from there, hope to hear back soon now. If not, interview with another agency coming up in two weeks.

Posts: 165 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
usually a couple of hours. i felt like i had a bad audition today bc i stumbled over a few words but after it was over the CD said " you did great work and hope to see you again" so idk. we actors are sometimes our worst critics. Alot of time when i think i did "bad", i ended getting a callback. To get over it, analyze what u can do next time to make it better. Treat yourself. I did to sushi and a drink after the aud and i feel better.
.. Also read some articles here on backstage about bad auditions. youu'll be ok

quote:
Originally posted by EGarcia05:
So, I just had a bad audition...wasn't my performance, more like I should up 30 minutes late...inexcusable I know. Worst part is I don't have an agent and it was one of the best agencies in town..and being late messed up my mental process. I also hate the question "tell me about yourself" I have no idea how to answer that, I live a boring, non exciting life...

I had a monologue to perform, it was something new..didn't have enough time to work on it..but being late messed me up. So, how would you bounce back after a bad audition with a talent agency.

Posts: 72 | Location: city of angels | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anthony Hopkins
posted Hide Post
We've all had those auditions that we tank, hopefully they are few and far between. And it's only natural to question yourself after it happens.

I just had a terrible experience, I left an audition thinking I did great, but I later got feedback, and while they said some nice things too, that said they found me "emotionally limited." Ouch! (Not that it was a very emotional scene, at least not how I understood it.)

Posts: 711 | Location: Hollywood, CA | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
Picture of JennyLeah
posted Hide Post
No audition ever goes exactly the way you want it to. It's almost always the auditions that I feel went the absolute worst and can't seem to shake that end in a job for me. And even with that pattern well established, my thought is always, "But that's not going to be true this time, because it went THAT badly."

And hell, just for some anecdotal evidence, I went to my first audition in over 7 years back in March. I had only just decided to come back to this industry in December, and since I'm in a very small market, it took me a while to find coaches and teachers that I felt I could work successfully with. My goal for the audition was to learn from it more than anything else, but I still wanted to do well. I was as prepared as I could have been. It was a general audition of the cattle-call variety, a regional theater trying to cast for its upcoming season. I went in, sang my 16 bars, delivered my my monologue, thanked them, and walked out. In that moment I could have told you every single thing I had done wrong, I was awful, my choices were wishy-washy at best. As I'm berating myself in the car on my way home, the phone rings, and I'm being asked to come in for a call back. And while I could sit there and argue that I didn't deserve that call back based on my audition, why would I? (And isn't it great that I don't get to make that call?) (Incidentally, I didn't get a job from it, but I have been called to sing for 3 other productions that the casting director is affiliated with. I'm still calling that a win.)

Remember, there's a lot more that goes into casting than your audition. Even if they loved you, they might not be able to find a place for you in this production this time. So there's no point in wasting the energy on how well you did or didn't do. It's always easier said than done, but after you've given yourself time to briefly reflect on it, it's best to let it go and focus on preparing for the next one.

Posts: 10 | Location: Here and There | Registered: September 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my process that I do for every audition whether I feel I did well or I bombed:

- I try to get there about 15-20 minutes early.
- Sit in my car for a short while reviewing my intention, obstacles, character, whatever I need for the scene
- Sign in about 5-10 minutes before my audition time. (enough time to relax and not enough time to psych myself out)
- Go in, do what I prepared, leave, and stay as positive and professional as I can until I get back to my car
- Sit in my car and spend time going over the audition. I think of 2 things I could have done better and need to work on and (more importantly) think about 2 things I did well and should recognize
- Go home, let it go because its out of my hands now, submit for more roles

It took me a while to come up with this process, but it helps. Not only with my auditioning but it helps me lower the stress as much as possible
I hope this helps.
-

---------------------------------------------
My Blog:

http://www.ActorSkill.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post