home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Headshots, Reels and Resumes    Acting Resume Stupids
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acting Resume Stupids Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
how about removing height weight hair color etc....most of it is visible in the headshot anyway. and why limit myself by putting exacts. say they are looking for a 5'7 actor, and i am 5'6...they may not call me in.

Posts: 50 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anam_G:
how about removing height weight hair color etc....most of it is visible in the headshot anyway. and why limit myself by putting exacts. say they are looking for a 5'7 actor, and i am 5'6...they may not call me in.

I don't list hair and eye color since we all should be using colored headshots. I keep height and weight.

Posts: 1868 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
What if the CD is color-blind and they can't tell from the headshot what color are your eyes/hair. Probably a very small chance of this happening but just wondering about that possibility still.

Posts: 41 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: July 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by makebelieve:
What if the CD is color-blind and they can't tell from the headshot what color are your eyes/hair. Probably a very small chance of this happening but just wondering about that possibility still.

Then they can ask their associates when they're not doing CD workshops.

Posts: 1868 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:

The good news is, whether your hair and eye color are on the resume or not, it will not keep you from getting an audition or a booking if you look like your headshot, are prepared, do your job well, and fit the part! Don't overthink the little things and if you have an agent, be sure to follow their instructions on whether to have those listed or not.

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 855 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:

7. Saying you're Fi Core. Though it is a legal right recognized by the US Supreme Court, it has a stigma. If you're going for SAG, your resume says SAG. If you're going for non union, it says SAG Eligible.

So if you're eligible to join SAG, you can write "SAG Eligible" on your resume?

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I'm not fi-core, I'm just eligible to join and have not paid any fees to join or anything.

Posts: 2 | Location: New York | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's an SOL CD, if you ask me.

Posts: 64 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of Trillian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anam_G:

If they're so exact about height and you don't have what they want, you're just wasting everybody's time.

Posts: 64 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fhamid:
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:

7. Saying you're Fi Core. Though it is a legal right recognized by the US Supreme Court, it has a stigma. If you're going for SAG, your resume says SAG. If you're going for non union, it says SAG Eligible.

So if you're eligible to join SAG, you can write "SAG Eligible" on your resume?

You write SAG-AFTRA Eligible or SAG-AFTRA E if you are eligible.

posted Hide Post

Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
Truthteller, I agree with you on everything except one point. Here in NY, almost all actors list the school at which they acted in a student film for. So, if I acted ina Columbia Grad student film I list it as "Columbia Grad/director's name). Otherwise it is taken as misleading when it's not listed as a student film. We don't literally write student film. But Columbia, and SVA are respected so it looks good on the resume, and I am young so perhaps it isn't a bad thing as much either. But even casting directors here and agents have said to list the film schools because they are well-respected.

Posts: 105 | Location: NY | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeckyll625:
Truthteller, I agree with you on everything except one point. Here in NY, almost all actors list the school at which they acted in a student film for. So, if I acted ina Columbia Grad student film I list it as "Columbia Grad/director's name). Otherwise it is taken as misleading when it's not listed as a student film. We don't literally write student film. But Columbia, and SVA are respected so it looks good on the resume, and I am young so perhaps it isn't a bad thing as much either. But even casting directors here and agents have said to list the film schools because they are well-respected.

I guess you can do that in NY since your film/tv opportunities aren't as big as LA's.

But in LA, film is either major studio or indie. Doesn't help to say you're a student film actor on this coast.

It's NOT misleading to leave out the fact that it's a student film. If it's actually shot well, who cares? You're only going to use 30-45 seconds of it for a clip on ActorsAccess. If anyone asks you can say "oh it was made by Columbia/NYU alumni." Most of them are going to be alumni anyways.

Denzel Washington
posted Hide Post
Regarding the "Supporting" versus "Principal" or "Featured" issue, Mominbiz and M1chae1 are exactly right on this and Truth is just giving his way of rationalizing his apparent need to inflate his own lack of serious credits with this one rare spot of bad business related advice. Hey. Nobody's perfect ... Wink

If your role does not include multiple scenes and/or is not integral to the storyline of the film, use "Principal" since "Featured" has indeed been abused by background players and other assorted low-rent wannabes to the point that it is now meaningless or suggests something lesser. Don't degrade the value of "Supporting" when that isn't what your role was even if your last five film credits and most of your web "series regular" roles don't show up on IMDb, you have zero major network credits, and your biggest role to date was as a "Principal" in one of those cheesy Asylum joints. It's transparent as hell and really just serves to make you look desperate and amateurish.

The person who said it's best to list your student film credits as such in New York is right, too. It's considered misleading if you don't. And it might actually be good to list your credit as a student film if it's a USC or AFI grad thesis project to separate yourself from the home movie pack in LA. Those are apparently kind of hard to get and don't look bad at all.

Another "stupid" would be to put something like "GREAT AT DRAMA" and/or "GREAT AT DRY HUMOR" in the SPECIAL SKILLS section. WTF? That should be apparent in your credits and clips if it's true. Also, this isn't directly related to resumes, but it seems like if you have decent commercial credits, it would be a good thing to maybe include some clips from those to supplement your home movie looking theatrical footage. Hell, I know some guest star and recurring level actors who keep clips from those.

Just sayin' ...

Posts: 101 | Location: La La Land | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Now, I was told by two different agencies to take off my contact info and replace it with their contact info.. Should I have my contact info somewhere on the side like in the resume template?

Posts: 113 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post