Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is this? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey everyone, I have a few other photos in the group that were fairly similar and I was wondering if you could help tell me what the best one out of them all are? Thanks a lot!

http://colemanmatthewsmith.com...php?album=HEADSHOTS/

Note: These photos are unedited, so I still have to change some stuff about them.

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 and 5 are your best commercial shots.

5 - One of your better smiles. The wall makes the overall photo brighter, which is good for commercial submissions, however you are a tad too close to it for my taste. The detail on the wall takes attention away from your face. Also, your face needs more light. It sort of blends into the wall b/c they are receiving the same amount of light. Also, the shirt is too dark for a commercial shot. Try having a retoucher blur the background and increase the brightness on your face and shirt in addition to boosting the overall brightness and contrast of the photo. Also, have them "warm" up the color a bit. It looks a little green - probably because they were shooting w/ auto white balance and it keyed toward your green shirt. All these touchups need to be subtle because you risk looking over-edited, but I think it's worth trying to remedy these issues.

2 - This outfit is much better for commercial shot. The lighting isn't super flattering. They were bouncing it too close to your feet, on the left side of your body, which is why it cast a shadow under your right eye. However, the expression and outfit are good so it's worth salvaging. Framing is a bit awkward. Try cropping it to reduce that large empty space on the left side of the photo. Also, have a retouching soften the shadows on the face and even reducing contrast just on the face slightly would help counter the bad lighting.

9 is a cool expression for you that could work for theatrical and even commercial if it was used in a different photo. Not a fan of this setup because with a dark background and no backlight your hair is not clearly defined and the dark shirt also blends right into the background. 2 is the same location but it looks like the sun moved or the exposure changed, because the background is not nearly as dark and you can more clearly make out your hair and clothing.

Feel free to message me if you'd me to elaborate on any of this - I sort of rushed through it. Good luck!

Bobby Galvan Photography
-=bobbygalvan.com=-

Posts: 13 | Location: Downtown LA | Registered: October 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobby, thanks a lot for all the feedback on the images. I see what you are talking about with the outfit and lighting. Seriously, all of the feedback you gave me is greatly appreciated, I will take it all into consideration along with what all the others before have said. Does anyone else have any opinion on the bunch I just posted? I would appreciate anyones help! Thank you all!

Posts: 14 | Location: United States | Registered: July 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
Picture of 108
posted Hide Post
Photo retouching should never be used to make you look different or better than you really look. Ever. That includes your teeth.

If you're ugly then your ugly. If your gorgeous then your lucky. Just make sure your photo looks like you really are. All types and shapes of actors are needed in this business.

The purpose of retouching is to make you look more like you really do, not less. If you have a blemish that is going to disappear in a day or two then it makes sense to photo-shop the blemish out of your pic. But to change your true look in your headshot so you look better than you really do is one of the most stupid things an actor can do.

One of the main things that CD's use to bring in actors is their photo. They rightfully expect an actor to look exactly like their picture. When actors show up not looking like their photo it pisses off the CD who could have brought in another actor who had the right look. That is one way to get a CD to remember you in a bad way and never bring you in again.

Many, many actors do not have yellow teeth. They have 100% white teeth without so much as a trace of yellow or brown. In fact every actor I associate with has refrigerator white teeth. This is Hollywood. Have white teeth. Totally white teeth. My teeth are pure white with no trace of yellow. I had that done at the dentist many years ago. If you can do it cheaper using baking soda and peroxide then have at it. But if you want to do commercials you need sparkling white teeth. And that will favor you theatrically as well.

In my last role I played an intoxicated homeless person. Makeup was used to make my teeth look yellow, stained and rotted. There is makeup especially for that. That's what was called for. But don't ever expect them to whiten your yellow teeth on set especially for you to do a toothpaste commercial.

It's hard to believe that someone would give advice telling someone to have their teeth whitened in their commercial headshot and show up at the audition with yellow teeth.

Posts: 258 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree. Go ahead and touch up your photos a bit. Let's face it a good headshot is taken in optimum lighting conditions with you looking your best. You walk into a casting studio lit with overhead fluorescent lights and you are going to look different.
What surprises me is the line "If you're ugly then your ugly. If your gorgeous then your lucky. Just make sure your photo looks like you really are. All types and shapes of actors are needed in this business" followed by a strict instruction to have your teeth whitened to 100% white. And really, do you aspire to toothpaste commercials? There's much, much more to being an actor than toothpaste commercials.

Posts: 4 | Location: LA | Registered: September 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
Picture of 108
posted Hide Post
Cole showed a commercial shot. There is no point in showing a commercial shot unless you have a really nice smile. That includes white teeth. Not kind of white or pretty white. It means totally white. Those with a nice smile and great looking teeth will usually be chosen over those who don't, both theatrically and commercially.

Yes, your headshot normally should look like you on your best day (There can be exceptions with certain character shots). Your main headshots should make you look great. Lighting, nice complexion, etc. But it must look 100% like you. It is right to touch up your photos to make you look like your best you. But it is not OK to make you look different or better than you look on your best day. Otherwise when you go in to be seen by the CD and producers you will disappoint them by not looking like your photo. They brought you in based on the look they thought you had. When you look different than that it will give them a lasting bad impression of you. You will have wasted their time and caused them to miss seeing another actor they could have seen.

One way to look the best in your photo is to really look the best you possibly can in real life. And one thing anyone can do is to get their teeth professionally whitened. It's a no brainier. It will make you more appealing for every kind of role. Even if you are going to play the Hunchback of Notre Dame you will be more appealing to those who cast you if you have nice looking teeth when they meet you.

I work regularly. My friends work constantly. They all have the best looking teeth you will ever see. Regardless of how they look otherwise, their teeth are great. It is something they have control over unlike their other general body features. A couple of us are character actors who sometimes play sinister or decrepit characters as well as conservative, clean type roles. It's easy, using makeup, to make teeth look bad or yellow. It's not easy at all and simply won't happen where they will bother to make your unattractive teeth look pearly white.

If you don't believe me, fine. If things have been working out for you with off-colored teeth then keep doing what your doing.

Posts: 258 | Location: Beverly Hills | Registered: September 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any retouching suggestions I made were to make up for mistakes made by the photographer's coloring, lighting and composition. You can and should improve these things with editing.

Bobby Galvan Photography
-=bobbygalvan.com=-

Posts: 13 | Location: Downtown LA | Registered: October 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
Picture of 108
posted Hide Post
Cole, Headshot 12 works quite well. You are making a strong statement with your eyes. Penetrating. Of all the thumbnails that is the only one that popped for me and made me click on it to see it full size.

posted Hide Post
I'm sorry 108, but you are completely obsessed with white teeth.
Sure, Cole, you're teeth could be whiter, but this is about your headshot and how these particular ones can be used. These could be better and the way to make them better it to color correct a bit. Like I said, retouch these a bit to help you pop and until you can get some better ones done and in the meantime focus on becoming as good an actor as you can be. Ultimately, THAT is what's going to make you feel good about yourself and give you the confidence to walk into the room with real inner strength. You can have the whitest teeth in the world but they really won't give you what you need. In the end there are thousands of sets of refrigerator teeth in this town but very few can act. They can do toothpaste commercials, though. Woopee!

Posts: 4 | Location: LA | Registered: September 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
posted Hide Post
She may be, but she's right. And seriously, he can get the strips at the drug store. It's no big deal.

Posts: 209 | Location: east coast | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
Picture of NogenBeck
posted Hide Post
Hey Cole,

I agree with David Muller and 108. You should try to get better shots done since, after all, your competition is fierce and I can tell you have a lot more expression and energy than this displays.

That said, if you are going to use this, here are the retouching notes I would send your retoucher:

1. Brighten the eyes
2. Brighten the brightest area in the lips
3. Increase contrast/texture in the hair, brighten the highlights in the hair.
4. Sharpen eyes, eyebrows, mouth
5. darken the sides of the face, left side of the nose. Brighten shaft of the nose, cheek bones, center of the forehead, and chin (This is also called contouring)
6. retouch skin, even out red tones
7. add a darkening gradient at the bottom or left side of the frame. This will make the image less flat.
8. If you can, apply a filter in photoshop called "puppet warp" This will allow the retoucher to make the smile bigger and more energetic. Yup, that exists!

IF you have to use this phone, get a SICK retoucher to make it awesome!

Always learning,

Nogen Beck
LA Headshot Photographer
Author of "The Science of Headshots"
www.nogenbeck.com
nb@nogenbeck.com

Posts: 85 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone, thank you for all your comments. Although I feel RonM is right there definitely are more things to acting than just toothpaste commercials. I see 108s point that most LA actors have perfect teeth. So, as nonstagemom said, I went out and got some whitening strips and will see how they workout.

Nogenbeck, thanks, when I get them retouched I will talk to them about all of that. Any suggestions on a retoucher? Also, I still sort of need help picking the best commercial and theatrical headshot out of the group! So, if anyone can still help me out with more suggestions, that would be awesome. Thanks again for all your feedback everyone.

Johnny Depp
Picture of NogenBeck
posted Hide Post
Hey Cole,

I don't know any retouchers because I do all of my own retouching for my clients. (It's a personal choice, I personally don't know when photographers stopped processing their own work but I think Ansel Adams would be spinning in his grave if he heard that Wink

I'm happy to retouch for you, but there are also a ton of retouchers out there that can help you. In fact, most of the people on this site know what they are talking about! It's a beautiful thing Smiler

If you'd like help selecting just lead to to the site where I can view everything and I'm happy to lend my advice.

Take care and good luck out there!
NB

Nogen Beck
LA Headshot Photographer
Author of "The Science of Headshots"
www.nogenbeck.com
nb@nogenbeck.com

Posts: 85 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: October 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nogen, you can find all of the photos at the following address!

http://colemanmatthewsmith.com...php?album=HEADSHOTS/

Thanks a lot!