home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  Show Business  Hop To Forums  Headshots, Reels and Resumes    Does this Headshot Work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this Headshot Work? Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone. So Im picking a new theatrical headshot and I need some help. I like this one. Though Ive gotten a lot of positive feedback, some have said that I look too mean. I am about to start persuing theatrical representation, and already have a few interested, but I dont want to send out a bad headshot lol. I just need help picking the right shot. Ive narrowed it down to four, but here is my first pick. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Shoot for the moon and you'll land in the stars

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
I hate how it's shot at an upward angle. Your chin disappears

Posts: 2123 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.
what about this one?

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
Picture of Joanna Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hi Grateful1,
I like this second one much more than the first one you posted. It's a good theatrical headshot, nice connection.
Joanna
www.joannabrooks.com
Headshots LA

Posts: 79 | Location: Sherman Oaks | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
I agree -- the second one is much better!

Posts: 467 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
The second is a huge improvement. Use that!

Posts: 2123 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help! I'll go with the second one!

Nicholas Cage
Picture of Brett_D
posted Hide Post
Second one is very strong. The color balance is a bit warm and a bit towards magenta for my taste, but that's really just a nitpick.

Posts: 24 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: November 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wait, is the second one better than this one? This is the headshot my former theatrical agent picked for me. It got me a lot of auditions but personally I never liked it.

Marlon Brando
Picture of TRUTHTELLER59
posted Hide Post
It can see it helping you commercially, but the henley suggests a more urban look.

Russell Crowe
Picture of Justin Gill Photo
posted Hide Post
The beige stripe in the background really draws my attention, otherwise I would be all for the second shot. If you can find a way to have it fixed by a skilled retoucher, then you'd have a winner.
Also, for a theatrical shot, the skin tone is a little warm, I bet you'd get a lot more dramatic flair if you can cool it down a little.

Good luck

--

Justin Gill | Headshot Photographer Los Angeles
www.justingillphoto.com

Posts: 8 | Location: Hollywood CA | Registered: September 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I love the first one and the one with the blue background. Gorgeous!

Posts: 7 | Location: Los Angeles/ New York | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Johnny Depp
Picture of shantkiraz
posted Hide Post
2nd and third are very good -- Nice shots!

-s

www.shantkiraz.com/headshots
LA & Seattle headshot photographer

Posts: 9 | Location: Los Angeles & Seattle | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Al Pacino
Picture of DK Headshots NY/LA
posted Hide Post
I like all of them! I don't have any issues w the first one and actually like that styling the best!

--------------

Dennis Kwan
www.dkheadshots.com
2012 Backstage Readers Choice Awards #1 Favorite Photographer in NYC!

Posts: 236 | Location: NY/LA | Registered: June 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
Picture of Precious G
posted Hide Post
I am just browsing this forum trying to get more aquainted with theatrical and commercial headshots. Your 2nd and 3rd headshots are amazing! Good luck in your career!!!

-Getting closer and closer to my dream

Getting closer and closer to my dream!

Posts: 24 | Location: In my own world | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post