Notify
Tools

RESUME FORMATS Login/Join

Johnny Depp
posted Hide Post
I can't get your links to work, but am very interested in resume information

quote:
Originally posted by Mominbiz:
Looks like we have to keep creating new threads like this since the old ones are lost in cyberspace!! Wink

So, here's a new resume formats thread for anyone to add to, if interested.

If anyone has any books, links or a great resume page they want to share for others to learn from, go for it. I know some actors on here have amazing resumes, but it's up to you to add them. Thanks! Smiler

I'll start with this info.

Books:
Acting is Everything by Judy Kerr - info and sample formats.

Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to Show Business by Bonnie Gillespie - excellent billing info.

NEXT! An Actor's Guide to Auditioning by Ellie Kanner and Paul G. Bens, Jr. - info and sample formats.

Links:
http://www.backstage.com/bso/c...romoting/resumes.jsp
http://more.showfax.com/column...ives/2005_02_21.html http://more.showfax.com/column...ives/2005_02_21.html http://more.showfax.com/column...ives/2005_02_28.html

For TEEN and Legal 18 questions - http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8011031/m/8...?r=80410001#80410001

ALSO - remember when listing high school credits, DO NOT put the words High School on your resume. Just use the school's theatre name or the school's name followed by Theatre, excluding the words high school. The number 1 reason for this is security. It's the same reason you don't list your home address or home phone on a resume. As you are older and out of high school, it also looks better on your resume not to have high school listed. The focus is the experience, not necessarily when you did it.

Posts: 1 | Location: LA | Registered: June 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Denzel Washington
Picture of SammieD
posted Hide Post
hj, is your popup blocker off?

the links are working fine for me.

Posts: 32 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Bump

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 851 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Mominbiz THANK YOU for the tip about how to list high school theatre, as a college actor who did lots of well produced good theatre in high school, I did not know how to list my HS credits in a professional manner on my resume. This helps a ton. And I have the book Self Managment for Actors, and will be using that to polish of my resume. Thanks for the helpful tips!

Posts: 12 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LA.BA-Theatre Student:
Mominbiz THANK YOU for the tip about how to list high school theatre, as a college actor who did lots of well produced good theatre in high school, I did not know how to list my HS credits in a professional manner on my resume. This helps a ton. And I have the book Self Managment for Actors, and will be using that to polish of my resume. Thanks for the helpful tips!
You're very welcome! Glad to help!

- MIB -

Posts: 851 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Great article on Starter Resumes.
http://more.showfax.com/column...ives/2011_07_18.html

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
So I'm trying to put a starter/newb resume together and I want to make sure I'm on the right track,

I'm aiming for film, but the only acting experience I have is the theatre I did back in High School. I also don't really have any other training at this point. Also no idea what I could possibly list for special skills other than some gun handling techniques I was coached on for a movie that's not out yet that I'm theoretically background in.

Finally, for a role that's "submission only" and they want a pic/resume. For that sort of thing, do you include the resume in the body of the email or as an attachment? If as an attachment, any particular filetype?

Posts: 1 | Location: PA | Registered: November 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The New Black:
So I'm trying to put a starter/newb resume together and I want to make sure I'm on the right track,

I'm aiming for film, but the only acting experience I have is the theatre I did back in High School. I also don't really have any other training at this point. Also no idea what I could possibly list for special skills other than some gun handling techniques I was coached on for a movie that's not out yet that I'm theoretically background in.

Finally, for a role that's "submission only" and they want a pic/resume. For that sort of thing, do you include the resume in the body of the email or as an attachment? If as an attachment, any particular filetype?

Ideally, you want to get some training to show that you're serious.

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The New Black:

Go ahead and list the shows you were in in high school under Theatre, but don't list "High School" next to the name of the school, i.e., Thomas Jefferson High School could be listed as Thonas Jefferson Theatre or Jefferson Theatre.
Example: The Music Man/Harold Hill/Jefferson Theatre
When listing training, you don't need to repeat the word Training next to examples like Comedy or Voice Over. It's redundant, since it is already under the Training heading and speaks for itself.
When emailing a submission, the headshot and resume should be in the body of the email and not be an attachment that has to be opened. Save your resume in a pdf file. You have to attach it at first, but pdf files usually show up in the body of the email. Since pdfs cannot not be edited, be sure to keep your original resume in a doc file for future edits.

- MIB -

posted Hide Post
This should help someone, I use an online resume builder at a site called http://resumizer.com.
For help writing etc. it is all free so there is nothing to stop anyone here from using it.

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
New column on resumes by Secret Agent Man. Thanks, SAM!
http://www.backstage.com/bso/a...ion-1007291752.story

- MIB -

Robert DeNiro
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 475 | Location: New York | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyFatButt:
showbizLTD.com Sample Resume

This is a shitty resume example.

You don't determine your age range. Casting does!

And in films, you put either LEAD or SUPPORTING, NOT the chacter's name

Posts: 1960 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRUTHTELLER59:

Hey TRUTH... I appreciate you trying to help people, but please save your negative and extremely unprofessional language (which, BTW, I thought was a no no here on BS) for your own threads! Thanks!

- MIB -