Notify
Tools

RESUME FORMATS Login/Join

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

- MIB -
"If you can dream, you can do. Making it happen is up to you!"

Posts: 872 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Time for another BUMP!

- MIB -

Posts: 872 | Location: SoCal | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
And another one!

- MIB -

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Another bump, and my first message ever on the boards! Exciting.

I'm an actor primarily, and most of my experience lies there, but I've worked plenty in other capacities, too... improv, directing, choreographing, teaching, costume design, playwriting, fight choreography. I believe in being a Renaissance woman. Smiler

Anyway, does listing this stuff add to my resume, or does it make me seem less focused? As my resume stands now, I have it under the category of "Other Relevant Experience"... but if I list it at all, should it be there or under Special Skills?

Posts: 65 | Location: nyc | Registered: April 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great thread for someone starting to build their credits Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: NY NY | Registered: April 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new to this site. Just want to say thanks to Mominbiz for all of her helpful advice.

Posts: 4 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome, Lady V. And THANK YOU to both you and Nancy NY.

Ooops, I wanted to add, Welcome to the board!

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kinnniggets:
I'm an actor primarily, and most of my experience lies there, but I've worked plenty in other capacities, too... improv, directing, choreographing, teaching, costume design, playwriting, fight choreography. I believe in being a Renaissance woman. Smiler

Anyway, does listing this stuff add to my resume, or does it make me seem less focused? As my resume stands now, I have it under the category of "Other Relevant Experience"... but if I list it at all, should it be there or under Special Skills?
Welcome to you too, Kinnniggets!

This is a great question and sorry for taking to so long to respond. For my family members, as well as others I work with who have the same multi-tasking talents, this is what we've/they've done. The body of acting resumes reflect the credits for acting, which would include improv performances. Any other performing arts production skills would go under Special Skills, but training in any of those fields should be listed under Training. A separate resume can be created listing all the production credits for those times you are submitting for production crew.

If you still only have a few acting credits and you want to help fill the page with more credits, you can add the Other Experience category listing some directing, choreography and/or teaching credits and then eliminate the production credits as you add your acting credits. Thankfully, resumes are not set in stone, so whatever you feel best represents you and your talents, should be fine.

- MIB -

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, MIB... It's always hard to know what's "right" when there isn't really a "right" answer at all. But I'm constantly tweaking and reformatting my resume, so I'll definitely take this under consideration when I'm finagling with it next time. Thank you!

Posts: 65 | Location: nyc | Registered: April 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
*Bump*

- MIB -

Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
Bump for AussieGirl...

Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kinnniggets!
and thanks MomInBiz and everyone else!
Great advice Smiler

Posts: 12 | Location: LA | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Here's some more helpful info for child and teen actor resumes taken from the Biz Parentz Foundation. http://bizparentz.org/gettingstarted/resumes.html

Thanks, Anne and Paula!

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
SAFETY FIRST

I just have to stress once again, the importance of being SAFE and SMART!

With the unfortunate rise of Pedophilia and child and teen predators out there, it is so very important not to ever list personal information such as personal home addresses or phone numbers, schools currently attending and/or their names, family members names, etc. on any type of form such as a resume, in a bio for theatre productions or the school's or your own website, even your school's playbill or local newspaper, that could end up in the trash or on the internet, where anyone who wanted to could find it and use it to potentially harm someone.

Also, regarding headshots, be sure if you are putting photos online, to copy-block them from someone else making copies or being downloaded onto other websites, for possible abuse or sale on places like fan sites or eBay. For info on how to copy-block, here is a start on sites to choose from. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS248&...+photos+&btnG=Search

- MIB -

Harrison Ford
posted Hide Post
Here's a good question about communty theatre credits. http://bbs.backstage.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9611031/m/785105921

- MIB -