home subscribe
Backstage.com    Message Board Homepage  Hop To Forum Categories  The Craft  Hop To Forums  Dance and Movement    What kind of dance classes will help with Musical Theatre?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of dance classes will help with Musical Theatre? Login/Join

Kevin Bacon
posted
I'm 18 and I feel kind of old to start taking dance classes. It seems like so many people either start young or they don't start at all. However, I know that it is foolish to sit around pining about being "too old" instead of getting up and starting now. Better late than never. //cliche

Anyway, I'd like to expand my horizons by developing new skills that are useful for theatre. I did some dance classes when I was extremely young, but didn't stick with it for very long. I also did some gymnastics later on which involved *some* choreography/dance. Over all, I'd consider myself highly inexperienced, but also highly driven and willing to put in lots of practice time to learn something new.

I'm interested in taking dance classes, but I'm not sure where to begin. What "style" of dance is the choreography in musicals most heavily based on? Should I aim to find a class that is aimed specifically at dance in musical theatre? How do I go about finding good dance classes once I get to Chicago?

Posts: 9 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Russell Crowe
posted Hide Post
I'd say Jazz and Ballet...

Posts: 68 | Location: New York | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack Nicholson
posted Hide Post
Jazz, musical theatre movement classes and tap.

Posts: 340 | Location: New York | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
quote:
finding good dance classes once I get to Chicago?

check this out!
http://timeoutchicago.com/arts...op-ten-dance-studios

Posts: 25 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think finding a movement class that's designed for actors is a great first step. Theses classes will help you get comfortable moving and expressing in your body so that you are and appear comfortable on stage. Musical theatre is just as much about selling the story of the character as it is about the specific dance choreography or genre. Get comfortable moving as an actor and then take a Jazz class. Check out the various acting studios in Chicago to see which one offers a "movement for actors" class. Best wishes!

"I help performers learn to move freely and confidently in their bodies to captivate an audience." www.facebook.com/leahteachesalexander

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sean Penn
posted Hide Post
If you can find actual Musical Theatre dance classes then take those, and definitely take Jazz. Tap would also help, as would some beginner Ballet to help with the foundations.

And 18 is not too late! I didn't take my first formal dance class till I was in my mid-20s (though I had done cheerleading and a little bit of musical theatre as a teenager). Make sure to find a school that puts a lot of focus on its adult classes.

If you find yourself having trouble with the high degree of flexibility that dance requires, I'd recommend also taking some yoga and just generally working out and doing a lot of stretching when your body is warmed up.

Posts: 85 | Location: New York | Registered: August 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nicholas Cage
posted Hide Post
I would email the artistic directors of a few of the top theaters in Chicago and ask them which dance studios they like. (I haven't tried this in Chicago, so I don't know if they'll return your emails.) Then visit those dance studios, talk to their directors, tell them your goals, and ask them what you should take.

You might also be able to surf around for contact information for actors who've been in musicals at those places. Contact them and ask for dance studio recommendations.

Be extremely brief (but not terse) in your emails.

Posts: 80 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're in New York. Broadway Dance Center has every dance class imaginable. I took some classes there,I've taken with The Colorado Ballet,I've had classes with Many different instructors. Being well rounded with dancing no matter the job is beneficial in a way because you can pick up quicker. I've taken Ballet,Tap,Hip Hop,Lyrical,Modern,Contemporary,Pointe,Jazz,Improvisation,Strength and Conditioning etc. Ask around and find a place that offers Adult Classes or All Men Classes etc.

Posts: 1 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: February 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a number of musical theater schools all over the world. I am sure there must be some good schools at your place as well. You can enroll yourself in any of them and get some good training. And once you are good at it you can start your own musical theater school as well. All the best.

Posts: 9 | Location: Santa Ana | Registered: December 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kevin Bacon
posted Hide Post
Obviously - it will depend on what kin of shows you believe you are drawn to or the types of roles you consistently get cast into. If you're not really clear as to what "type" you are then may I suggest a good base that will give you the most variety of casting opportunities?

That recommendation would be immerse yourself in Ballet & Jazz classes initially. It will give the skills to successfully audition for a variety of roles. Make sure that you do your homework on the studio & teachers that you sign up for. Ask questions; do your homework and make sure it is a place that will attend to you and are interested in helping you achieve your goals.

Posts: 25 | Location: new york city | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post